Twitter: Werder Tweet: Garrett expected to be fired (no official word yet)

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Those may be reason for not renewing Garret's contract but have nothing to do with why Jones maybe giving Garrett the respect of just wating for the 14th and letting the contract expire.

Right! Don't hurt his wittle feewings.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Is there a functional difference between announcing today that the Cowboys will not renew Jason's contract versus announcing it after his contract is up?

Screw the fans. Who is this delay helping? No effect on Garret. Hell, it may make it harder for him to find a new job because he is in limbo now as everyone else fills out their staff.

IMO, the delay is because Jerry really hasn't made up his mind. The contract expiration thing makes no sense.

I see from the many conversations you've had with Jerry he told you he hasn't made up his mind yet. Just what jobs has Garrett missed? The Commanders job? They had an interim head coach and 4 hours into the day after the season ended they name Rivera their new coach. They weren't even thinking Garrett even if he was available. So just what jobs has Garrett already missed?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If anything, expiring is making it worse. Many are claiming that “it’s all the same thing! It’s fine! As long as he’s gone” but they fail to understand that

A. We are wasting a lot of time. Instead of fooling around with Garrett, we could be interviewing a new HC. I know, we have all offseason to do it, but the sooner, the better. The sooner the HC gets to meet the players, introduce his playbook and playstyle, get accustomed to Dallas, etc, the better. I don’t want to hear this “Jerry has a plan” BS either because he clearly doesn’t. His “plan” shouldn’t take all the way up to January 14th just to start. If it’s a playoff team, how do we know said coach will take the offer? What if Jerry’s plan backfires? He won’t have many options or time left for other candidates because they are either gone or disinterested. Plus, if he messaged a playoff team without letting the NFL know, wouldnt that be tampering?

B. What about the coaches that are dead in the water right now? No news has been announced, so all these staff members and coaches that are waiting for news to be released could be missing out on job opportunities. Someone on twitter said it best (forgot who it was). Leaving these staff members and coaches dead in the water is not only not unprofessional, but disrespectful. A lot of things come into play when moving teams for coaches. Uprooting families, getting new houses, getting adjusted to a new city and team, etc. and Jerry is withholding them from that.

I don’t know what the hell is going on, but this is one of the most selfish things a person can do. Even Dan Snyder is more selfless than this. Jerry is not only trolling his fans, but his (media) workers, coaches on expiring contracts, other NFL teams, etc. all for himself and his red headed step son. What a joke.

.. or ..

C. The coach they want is on a playoff team and not yet available for interviews.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
.. or ..

C. The coach they want is on a playoff team and not yet available for interviews.

Even if so, what if the coach on said playoff team doesn’t want to come to Dallas? What if they get promoted on their own team? What will Jerry’s plan be then? He cannot be sure that said coach wants to come to Dallas. He says he has a “deal” in place, so even if it is a coach from a playoff team, isn’t that tampering?

In addition to that, would it hurt to have some backup interviews in place? Riley? Meyer? Rhule? Hell even McCarthy to get some potential candidates here? What about our OC and DC roles (Rod and Richard likely aren’t coming back). There’s too many questions that need answering that are being held back by this memorial service.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Respect? Really? Respect? You mean the respect that Garret showed every coach and player in the past that he has thrown under the bus to save his tired act? That kind of respect? How about Garrett showing some respect and just gracefully exit the building so he can find a job clapping elsewhere, if he can. If I were to be informed that I was not coming back, I would respect that because I respect myself and tell my boss that there is no need to string this out...I'll just leave and you can find my replacement faster than baby sitting me. That's respect in my mind. "Imagine" that! smh

And who are all of these players and coaches Garrett threw under the bus. Are those players he choose to not resign or for cap purposes unable to resign. Are the coaches ones that got fired because he didn't think they were getting the job done. Hate , checked that, love to tell you those are part of the job of the head coach. Since Garrett has publicly said he wants to continue coaching the Cowboys why would he then just walk away before it is officially decided however Jones decides to do it?

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
That's not how the title of the thread reads.

It says Garrett expected to be fired. As in Jason Garrett is expected to be fired. It wasn't written from Garrett's POV, nor was it reported that way.
Stop! It was a signal from the Jones'that they will eventually get rid of him but still give him till the 14th

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
And who are all of these players and coaches Garrett threw under the bus. Are those players he choose to not resign or for cap purposes unable to resign. Are the coaches ones that got fired because he didn't think they were getting the job done. Hate , checked that, love to tell you those are part of the job of the head coach. Since Garrett has publicly said he wants to continue coaching the Cowboys why would he then just walk away before it is officially decided however Jones decides to do it?

Have you watched Garrett's career since he's been here? Do you listen to his press conferences? If so, why the need to ask these questions? I'm not talking about player's/coaches contracts, I'm talking about how he deflects, and that is exactly what he is trying right now. Open your eyes.

Aven8

Reaction score
Werder was the chosen one to get this info. They leaked this to him, and only him, and let him run with it. They haven’t said anything since, meaning the story is incorrect etc.

He knows far too much to make any of this up. “JG wanted another year”. “JG wanted to call plays in his final year”. “He knew Moore wouldn’t be able to do it”.

My bet it was Stephen and they are letting the others speculate now. Love it!!

willia451

Reaction score
Teams can give permission for their coaches to interview any time.
Ok. Just clarifying. You post carried with the the connotation that coaches on playoffs teams are not available for interviews. At least in my mind. And that's not true. As you state. They certainly can interview if given permission from their current franchise.