News: 'We're so far away': The Cowboys are in a fight against time, mediocrity

CCBoy

Reaction score
'We're so far away': The Cowboys are in a fight against time, mediocrity
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/far-away-cowboys-fight-time-mediocrity-234125408.html

*(try reading this one)

...One of the few for the Cowboys in this week’s minicamp, which may have been summed up most accurately by head coach Jason Garrett when he said the team (and the offense in particular) is nowhere near a finished product.“We’re so far away,” Garrett said. “We’re not even close to where we need to be. But we’re doing what we need to do as we go.”

To be fair to Garrett and the Cowboys, this is a typical mid-June rhetoric for NFL teams — the majority of which grind out their final practices before the summer break and then clutch the franchise pearls over how much work is left ahead. But even inside that textbook lament, it’s fair to say these Cowboys are holding their breath as much as anyone else in the NFL. Partially because this is a roster familiar with mid-summer vacation embarrassment. But mostly because Dallas is a franchise that badly needs everything to go right this season … on and off the field.

The future of the coaching staff is depending on it. The contract talks of the starting quarterback are hanging on it. And plenty of other careers are balancing in between...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/far-away-cowboys-fight-time-mediocrity-234125408.html

*(try reading this one)

...One of the few for the Cowboys in this week’s minicamp, which may have been summed up most accurately by head coach Jason Garrett when he said the team (and the offense in particular) is nowhere near a finished product.“We’re so far away,” Garrett said. “We’re not even close to where we need to be. But we’re doing what we need to do as we go.”

To be fair to Garrett and the Cowboys, this is a typical mid-June rhetoric for NFL teams — the majority of which grind out their final practices before the summer break and then clutch the franchise pearls over how much work is left ahead. But even inside that textbook lament, it’s fair to say these Cowboys are holding their breath as much as anyone else in the NFL. Partially because this is a roster familiar with mid-summer vacation embarrassment. But mostly because Dallas is a franchise that badly needs everything to go right this season … on and off the field.

The future of the coaching staff is depending on it. The contract talks of the starting quarterback are hanging on it. And plenty of other careers are balancing in between...

I'm not sure of the exact point of the article. It's not a bad article per se but doesn't really match the headline.

If there was ever in a time limited window, it's not this season with a super young roster.

Garrett's window might be closing and Jerry's due to age but the overall team is much closer to the beginning of something than the end.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm not sure of the exact point of the article. It's not a bad article per se but doesn't really match the headline.

If there was ever in a time limited window, it's not this season with a super young roster.

Garrett's window might be closing and Jerry's due to age but the overall team is much closer to the beginning of something than the end.

The problem is that the media will never again see things for Dallas in that vein of understanding...not in today's society that loves to drain another's miseries as indicators of their own vanity.

GenoT

Reaction score
I like our roster, but so much of it is “on paper”, in regards to rookies, 2nd-yr guys and newly acquired vets.

Marinelli’s getting near retirement; have Jerry, Stephen and Jason been considering how they might replace him, with respect to our current D-roster and scheme? Seems like this is something that can’t be put off. I know a lot of folks think Kris Richard is heir-apparent at DC, but can he “take over without starting over” on the D side?

Garrett began coaching for Jerry as OC. And a coupla season’s into his HC tenure, it was decided as an “organizational decision”, that he needed a separate OC, instead of being his own. After OL coach Bill Callahan filled that job as a one-season stop-gap measure, Jason was then allowed to choose his own OC — which was Scott Linehan.

Question: did Garrett choose Linehan because he really wanted him as OC...or was it a case of Garrett being forced to take SL as the lessor of all evils? We’ll never know, but the playoff record, so far, under Garrett/Linehan speaks for itself — close, but no cigar — with offensive play-calling and clock-management being red flags in both of their joint playoff losses. Are these two guys 100% on the same page?

Meanwhile, the clock is ticking and Jerry isn’t getting any younger.

Last edited:

Jipper

Reaction score

So you're saying it was a mediocre article that doesn't under where the cowboys are at this point in time

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you're saying it was a mediocre article that doesn't under where the cowboys are at this point in time
It was better than most yahoo articles but the Headline screws it up. Also the format on that site sucks.

waving monkey

Reaction score

*(try reading this one)

I just read your copy but based on that I was prepared to disagree but yes I see the reasoning.
Isnt Garrett saying, we've got a long way to go this season?
Loads of new personal and rookies,new coaches. All the new installs [plays].
Ya of course.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just read your copy but based on that I was prepared to disagree but yes I see the reasoning.
Isnt Garrett saying, we've got a long way to go this season?
Loads of new personal and rookies,new coaches. All the new installs [plays].
Ya of course.
This team’s leaders seem to indicate every year that we are “a year or two away”. The Jones boys and Garrett have been preaching patience since 2011. This fan base has every right to tell the Jones cartel and their powerless HC that we expect better than the mediocrity we have we have had to watch for two decades plus.