We've got our 6, and no WRs in the draft, right?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
1. Cooper
2. Gallup
3. Hurns
4. Austin
5. Cobb
6. And either Cedrick Wilson or Noah Brown.

Yes?

That would be a yes although Cobb is just 1 year and Austin too I think so don't discount a WR in the draft. Besides that, history has shown that positions we focus on in FA are often targeted in the draft the same year. Just my thoughts

Sandyf

Reaction score
Will have to wait until training camp to see who stays and who goes but at least we have good options. Depending on how many of the contracts are structured, you probably could cut guys or trade them for late round choices with little or no cap hits.

Amari Cooper - should get an extension before the draft of 5 years
Michael Gallup - bright, young, under contract and a great #2
Randall Cobb - looks like the slot but health still a concern, could be great but then we will see
Noah Brown - coaches like his upside, like his blocking, like his size, needs a good training camp to secure place
Cedric Wilson - if not for the injury, he would have been on the 53 last year, big upside, need see how recovery went
Tavon Austin - great speed, has injury concerns, good returner, can be used out of backfield
Allen Hurns - everything hinges on his recovery from the terrible ankle injury, wouldn't be surprise to see him on PUP list, coaches love his team mentality
Devin Smith - the 37th pick in 2015 for the Jets, ACL injury in 2017, out in 2018, great speed, good hands, great size for slot guy/return guy, needs a huge camp
Lance Lenoir - guy can't catch a break, good team guy, good hands, good guy, just no room for him it appears
Reggie Davis - just a camp guy at this point

Will we draft one? Much depends on how the rest of free agency plays out. If we do trade for Robert Quinn DE and sign a safety like Geathers or Berry and if we deem Malik McDowell healthy enough to play then the draft sets up really like BPA for at least the first 4 picks we have. And if a WR slips all the way to 58 or 90 or 128 that they have rated 1st/2nd or wherever then they will take him.

Also depending of who we sign or trade for in free agency might facilitate a trade for extra say 4th/5th/6th round picks. If we got Quinn and got a decent offer for Charlton, think they could take it.

As to the 53 roster, Dallas has before but rarely kept 7 WR on the roster. Would doubt it this year but it is possible although I do believe six is probably the number. Frankly, IMO I believe the fifth and sixth spots as it stands today comes down Brown, Austin, Hurns, and Smith.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good WR corps but where is the PR? That was the idea with Switzer but that didn't work out but that doesn't mean they stop trying.

Many good, if not great, WR's started their careers as the PR/backup WR like Antonio Brown and Steve Smith.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Good WR corps but where is the PR? That was the idea with Switzer but that didn't work out but that doesn't mean they stop trying.

Many good, if not great, WR's started their careers as the PR/backup WR like Antonio Brown and Steve Smith.
The Seahawks playoff game answered that. It's Tavon Austin's job unless he gets injured.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I'd rather see a TE in the draft than a WR. I'd also rather see a RB than a TE.
Cobb signing opens or pushed up the probability a TE or RB will be drafted higher. DAL has visited with RB Montgomery (2-3) and TE Strenberger (3), those are positions in need of more talent behind starters. Even a QB could come into play, doubt it but Coach Kellen may have a crush.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think former 2nd rd pick Devin Smith whom Dallas got from the Jets after the season has a chance to come in and prove himself.

Analysis
Strengths
Smooth speed merchant with instant gas off the line. Has outstanding body composure and an effortless stride. Electrifying foot quickness. Game-breaking speed with necessary feel of a downfield receiver. Tracks the throw over his shoulder and never breaks stride in the chase. Averaged 28.2 yards per catch and 54.5 percent of his catches were for 25-plus yards in 2014. Used outside and from slot. Must be matched by speed on defense or with safety over the top. Uses shoulder dip from inside release to avoid being redirected by slot corner. Speed creates uncontested targets for him underneath. Can snap off dig routes and open immediately. Good luck giving chase to Smith on a crosser or speed-out in the red zone. Might have been the best gunner in college football.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
I like it, but IMO the order goes like this:

1. Cooper
2. Gallup
3. Cobb
4. Austin
5. Two of Cedrick Wilson, Noah Brown and a late round draft pick.

Hurns only makes the roster if someone gets hurt or he looks lights out in camp enough to justify his 4 Million Dollar salary (and 1 Million in weekly roster bonuses).
I could see Cobb starting over Gallup....I like Gallup just saying i could see it

Kaiser

Reaction score
I could see Cobb starting over Gallup....I like Gallup just saying i could see it

I think Gallup and Cobb are too perfect in their skill sets for the WR2 and Slot positions, so I really think they would play them there.

Agree on Cobb, I think he is much better than the posters here are giving him credit for. And he will be so much more versatile than Beasley.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
1. Cooper
2. Gallup
3. Hurns
4. Austin
5. Cobb
6. And either Cedrick Wilson or Noah Brown.

Yes?

I think so. Wilson is the development guy so basically a rookie. I do hope they get Quinn so DT and S can be the focus.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I think the chances of Hurns being on this team's opening day roster are less than 50-50. And I also believe that the Cobb signing gives them the option of not having to draft a slot receiver, but doesn't prevent them from doing so if the option arises.

Austin and Cobb are both on one year deals, and even if he stays, Hurns is too. So the slot position would be wide open again in 2020, and I could see them drafting a guy and giving him a year to get ready to take over.
Dallas will go WR in round 2 and 3 :laugh::lmao::lmao2:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Hurns, Austin, and Cobb are nowhere near sure things. Hurns and Austin provided very little for us and Cobb is a one year guy. We have Cooper and Gallup and that's pretty much it.