We've got our 6, and no WRs in the draft, right?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
1. Cooper
2. Gallup
3. Hurns
4. Austin
5. Cobb
6. And either Cedrick Wilson or Noah Brown.

Yes?

Devin Smith was the 37th pick in 2015 and did nothing with the Jets until he was injured and out for 2 year. We have him for 2 years for peanuts.

That's 8.

Hurns has no guaranteed money. I'm still waiting on the guaranteed money for Cobb and Austin. Without guaranteed money, there's nothing to stop us from dropping these guys. Certainly Hurns. But with all those guys, we don't have a *need* we have to fill.

With the planned extension of Cooper and Gallup in his second year, our starters are set. Gallup, Brown, Wilson, Smith all young and cheap, so I don't really see a need for more developmental players.

And we're a run team. With our starters set, there's little reason to go long.

Here's a sneaky thing we could do. See what we could get in trade for Cooper. His performance from last year should have raised his stock. What would teams give us for him after seeing what he had last year?

I'm not a fan of giving up the 1st for him, and I'm not a fan for investing heavily in WRs either. I would be a fan of flipping Cooper. Maybe they'd go along if they could net a profit. I don't know how possible it is, but maybe, given that his stock should be up.

As it is, we've got too many guys to sign. I actually feel better about extending Cooper over other guys, but I'd feel even better to flip him for a 1st. Better still for more.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Generally when the Cowboys add a player above a certain age they almost always draft at same position as of late.

I'd bet WR/DE/DT are in fact high on draft board desires.
Covington being a younger guy perhaps we remove DT from that equation but WR/DE seem very likely to be selected if good options exist in first 4 rounds.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Devin Smith was the 37th pick in 2015 and did nothing with the Jets until he was injured and out for 2 year. We have him for 2 years for peanuts.

That's 8.

Hurns has no guaranteed money. I'm still waiting on the guaranteed money for Cobb and Austin. Without guaranteed money, there's nothing to stop us from dropping these guys. Certainly Hurns. But with all those guys, we don't have a *need* we have to fill.

With the planned extension of Cooper and Gallup in his second year, our starters are set. Gallup, Brown, Wilson, Smith all young and cheap, so I don't really see a need for more developmental players.

And we're a run team. With our starters set, there's little reason to go long.

Here's a sneaky thing we could do. See what we could get in trade for Cooper. His performance from last year should have raised his stock. What would teams give us for him after seeing what he had last year?

I'm not a fan of giving up the 1st for him, and I'm not a fan for investing heavily in WRs either. I would be a fan of flipping Cooper. Maybe they'd go along if they could net a profit. I don't know how possible it is, but maybe, given that his stock should be up.

As it is, we've got too many guys to sign. I actually feel better about extending Cooper over other guys, but I'd feel even better to flip him for a 1st. Better still for more.
Dallas doesn't view roster mgmt like that.
They view it in larger windows.
Its why they drafted Cedrick Wilson last year after Gallup.
Austin, Cobb and Hurns are all on 1 year deals and seem very unlikely to return in 2020.
As is 1 of those 3 seems unlikely to make it to the roster this year.

DAL has protected itself at WR but it isn't set longer term.

Right now only Cooper, Gallup and HBack N. Brown seem to have any longer term positions earmarked.
Hopefully, Cedrick Wilson can join that group this year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dallas doesn't view roster mgmt like that.
They view it in larger windows.
Its why they drafted Cedrick Wilson last year after Gallup.
Austin, Cobb and Hurns are all on 1 year deals and seem very unlikely to return in 2020.
As is 1 of those 3 seems unlikely to make it to the roster this year.

DAL has protected itself at WR but it isn't set longer term.

Right now only Cooper, Gallup and HBack N. Brown seem to have any longer term positions earmarked.
Hopefully, Cedrick Wilson can join that group this year.

I agree with your analysis on the older guys, but I see lots of young developing guys already, and that's *with* our starters presumably set in Cooper and Gallup.

Cobb got 2mil guaranteed. I doubt they want to eat that, but it's possible if the young guys drive him out.
Still no details on Austin as Spotrac.

That's 3 I don't see going away.

So what are we drafting another WR for? To kick off the young guys?

Noah Brown - ?
Devin Smith have 2 years. Cobb
Cedrick Wilson has 3. 0 Hurns
Reggie Davis has 4. Austin
Between them, we have a variety of types who line up to the oldsters. I don't see us needing to spend a draft pick on another one.

They were all hot and bothered over Wilson. And Smith was drafted in the top 40. They are our new guys to check out. Maybe a little Reggie Davis too. Smith, Wilson, and Davis are 3 new guys. That seems like more than enough young blood for the future.

With our starters set, veteran bridges set, and young developing players set, wr looks very done. Lots of other positions that need developmental players.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Renfrow isn't a height,weight speed guy...not splashy..but a longterm answer..versatile. He can return punts because he has superb hands...and his routes are maybe the best out of all the wr's in this draft class. That is high praise. Its a good wr class. I wouldn't be upset if we got him late and he would be a steal.WAY BETTER than the switzer pick a few years ago. The kid can contribute right away.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I agree with your analysis on the older guys, but I see lots of young developing guys already, and that's *with* our starters presumably set in Cooper and Gallup.

Cobb got 2mil guaranteed. I doubt they want to eat that, but it's possible if the young guys drive him out.
Still no details on Austin as Spotrac.

That's 3 I don't see going away.

So what are we drafting another WR for? To kick off the young guys?

Noah Brown - ?
Devin Smith have 2 years. Cobb
Cedrick Wilson has 3. 0 Hurns
Reggie Davis has 4. Austin
Between them, we have a variety of types who line up to the oldsters. I don't see us needing to spend a draft pick on another one.

They were all hot and bothered over Wilson. And Smith was drafted in the top 40. They are our new guys to check out. Maybe a little Reggie Davis too. Smith, Wilson, and Davis are 3 new guys. That seems like more than enough young blood for the future.

With our starters set, veteran bridges set, and young developing players set, wr looks very done. Lots of other positions that need developmental players.
Renfrow is already better than 3 of the wr's listed above on our roster...EASILY.