WFAA Blog: It's Dangerous to Support the Cowboys in Philly

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2:41 AM Sat, Dec 27, 2008 | Permalink
David Marcus

I have been to many stadiums and arena's in both a personal and professional capacity. There's only been one city in which I've ever felt unsafe as a spectator.

Philadelphia.

Four years ago, a friend of mine in Philadelphia invited me to the Cowboys/Eagles game on Monday Night Football at Lincoln Financial Field. At the time, T-O had just been suspended from the Eagles and Philly fans were not happy. Drew Bledsoe was the Cowboys' starting quarterback. I gladly accepted her offer.

I should have known something was up when I boarded the plane for Philly on a Friday at DFW Airport. I was very innocently wearing a DeMarcus Ware jersey, going about my own business. While standing in line to board the plane, a man walked up to me...looked just like your typical businessman or executive. I still remember his words.

"Be careful Monday night...we're in a pretty bad mood right now."

Consider yourself warned, right? Hardly the way I wanted to begin my trip to the City of Brotherly Love.

In any case, my weekend in Philly started off innocently enough. My friend and I had dinner Friday night at a local sports bar. I felt I was conducting a kind of psychological experiment, wearing my Ware jersey out to dinner. To my shock, the surrounding patrons were generally pretty respectful. I felt there was some respect for my fearlessness at wearing a Cowboys jersey in the heart of Eagles country.

At one point, the bar's owner stopped by the table and engaged me in a long philosophical discussion about why Eagles fans hate Cowboys fans. It was a true eye-opener about jealousy, fame, and the power of the almighty dollar. When the discussion was over, I understood the mentality of the Philly fan a little better.

Make no mistake about it- Eagles fans despise the Cowboys. But they may despise Cowboys fans even more.

According to Eagles fans I spoke to that weekend, Cowboys fans are considered to be stuck-up, wealthy, arrogant, self-entitled, and rude. Interesting, that one segment of fans can be so readily stereotyped across the board. During my three days in Philly, I had several discussions with Eagles diehards, and tried to show them a different side of Cowboys fans, at least to them. I felt I had succeeded....that is, until game night.

On our way to the stadium, my friend told me that her seats are season tickets. Instantly, I felt a little safer. I remember telling her something to the effect of, "How bad can it really be then?" She didn't agree with my assessment and proceeded to tell me some nightmare stories about visiting fans at "The Linc" who have been treated viciously by Eagles supporters. She told me that she witnessed a father have to console his young crying daughter, after a group of Eagles fans cursed and screamed at her throughout the game. She told me that it doesn't matter how big or small you are...you will receive extreme abuse if you are noticed as a fan of the visiting team at Lincoln Financial Field.

And a Cowboys fan? Even worse.

And to think, it was much worse at the old Veterans' Stadium...the only stadium in the NFL to have its own temporary judge, court, and jail below the stands. No joke.

I've been a sports anchor/reporter for the last 14 years, but have always been a Cowboy fan. When not working, I may occasionally be found wearing a Cowboys jersey. It's hard to ditch allegiances to your hometown team, regardless of journalistic duties. I don't feel my fandom prevents me from being impartial...if anything, it enhances my interest in being fair and balanced. If anything, I'm simply passionate and involved. We all want the Cowboys to succeed. It makes life more interesting for all of us. With that in mind, I put on my DeMarcus Ware jersey and walked with my friend from our car in the satellite parking lot at Lincoln Financial Field.

Instantly, I felt like I was wearing a target on my back. The jeers and cursing started almost immediately. I can't repeat what was said, but I was a bit stunned. As soon as tailgaters noticed me, the downpour of expletives began. Teenagers, senior citizens, parents, kids...fans of all ages...all began screaming at me at the top of their lungs.

Welcome to Lincoln Financial Field, eh?

And worse of all, my so-called "friend" began joining in with the cursing chant against me. She apparently thought it was very funny. I, on the other hand, did not.

Once I walked into the stadium itself, I felt a little bit safer...relatively speaking. What makes going to an Eagles game wearing a visiting uniform so scary, is how lax the security personnel seem. I remember walking up to a security officer in my section and asking him (with a little tongue in cheek) to keep his eyes out for me during the game. The officer said something like he "couldn't guarantee anything" and to expect a good deal of abuse from the fans. He said it would be an "interesting experience" for me.

Not exactly confidence-inspiring.

As kickoff neared, we found our seats. To my horror, they were in the upper deck of the stadium...an area traditionally containing the worst of any stadium's residents. An elderly woman wearing a Brian Dawkins jersey seated next to me offered me a leftover hot dog from her tailgate party, and I politely declined, partially out of fear. There's no way the hot dog would have been laced with something, right? Right?

Now you're understanding the level of my paranoia. Philadelphia can do that to you.

Before the game began, I walked to the concession area to get a drink. The line was long...I was in jeopardy of missing kickoff. A man in an Eagles jersey ran up to me and screamed, "You're in our house now baby." Actually, there were a couple of "other" words he said as well....unprintable here, I'm afraid.

When I returned to my upper deck section and walked up the stairs to my seat, a sight I shall never forget...the entire section (and I do mean entire section of fans) began serenading me with some cursing in unison, the same cursing I had heard in the parking lot. I looked down at my diet coke. It was shaking and spilling out onto the concrete.

I already felt like the Eagles fans had won.

Oddly enough, once the game began, much of the torment ended. Fans were too fixated on the game at hand. I did notice something interesting: some other Cowboy fans around me were being subjected to cursing and screaming far worse than I had endured. I was largely ignored.

I asked my friend why I wasn't being singled out as much as the fans seated around me. My friend told me that was because the fans suspected I was from Texas...and not a "fair weather" Cowboy fan from Bucks County, Pennsylvania or nearby New Jersey. Eagles fans apparently save their worst disdain and anger for those locals who stray from the flock...and migrate to become Cowboy fans. Once my friend explained this to me, I gleefully took out my Texas Drivers' License and showed it to a couple of fans seated next to her. They nodded and even shook my hand.

It seems there's a kind of odd respect in Philly for Cowboy fans who are actually from Texas. Hatred, sure...but respect. There's no respect for Cowboy fans who actually live in Philly.

As for the game itself, the Cowboys trailed much of the way, but Donovan McNabb threw a late interception which was returned for a touchdown, and the Eagles fell.

I wasn't totally insane....I put on a jacket over the Ware jersey as I walked out of the stadium.

I never spoke to my Philly friend after that day ever again.

Sad, but true.

Welcome to Philadelphia.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Overrated.

Buffalo is a much tougher stadium to go into.

Philly fans are jerks and will throw beer at you, but in the new building they are not bad at all.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Wow. Just wow!

No matter how many times I read stories like this, it still makes my blood boil. Little old ladies cursing... Entire groups of fans tormenting little girls... Unbelievable.

I'd love to see Larry Allen go to an Eagles game and see how tough those guys are then.

FWIW, on another board a couple of Ravens fans were giving Cowboys fans props for being civil and polite on their trip to Texas Stadium last week. Even they volunteered that we were as far from Philly fans as you could get. Seems it's universally agreed that Philly fans are the biggest loser degenerate scumbags in the league.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
When I returned to my upper deck section and walked up the stairs to my seat, a sight I shall never forget...the entire section (and I do mean entire section of fans) began serenading me with some cursing in unison, the same cursing I had heard in the parking lot. I looked down at my diet coke. It was shaking and spilling out onto the concrete.
lulz.

DCgirl13

Reaction score
It's the truth that Philly fans are down right rude and scary. My Mom was offered club level seats for $250 each to Sundays game and turned them down because she hates going to that stadium. You can't even root for your team there.

I went to a Cowboys/Iggles game when I was 11 with my Dad and I got cursed at pretty bad for wearing my Cowboys jacket.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Interesting.

I know me and my cousin were surrounded by Eagles fans at Texas Stadium in 2004 and they didn't say anything to us.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maikeru-sama;2525650 said:
Interesting.

I know me and my cousin were surrounded by Eagles fans at Texas Stadium in 2004 and they didn't say anything to us.
You were at Texas Stadium. You were at your house. This guy's experience was in Philly at the Linc.

And yeah, Hos, I thought it was a very descriptive story.

Temo

Reaction score
My roomates are all Philly fans and we went to that Cowboys-Eagles game last year. Place was dead and I received no abuse at all the entire night.

Of course, the blowout could have been a major contributor, but that was my only experience in Eagles country.

All that being said, Philly is a great city. I live/work in NYC, and Philly definitely has its own character and way.

SilberBlau

Reaction score
booohoooo, so they used some unprintable language, big deal. thats why its called their house and that might even explain the word rivalry. If you can't deal with it, stay home.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
SilberBlau;2525717 said:
booohoooo, so they used some unprintable language, big deal. thats why its called their house and that might even explain the word rivalry. If you can't deal with it, stay home.

So it's perfectly acceptable to cuss out little girls just because it's "their house"?

Okay. :cool:

maxsports

Reaction score
I go to the game every year and wear my Cowboys shirt. If you can have fun with it you are fine. They curse at you but I just laugh. Never had 1 problem.

Mansta54

Reaction score
SilberBlau;2525717 said:

Ahh, you do know that parents take their kids to the games and I'm still wondering how profanity explains the word rivalry..:huh:

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
The most interesting part of your detailed and correct assessment of the matter is your observation regarding HOW Eagle fans view Cowboy fans in general. They've concluded that Cowboy fans are "uppity" or rich and arrogant, with a sense of entitlement. Something to that effects. In general, THEY feel that WE feel that WE'RE better than them in as a "class" of citizenry.
I was born and raised in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton PA., and lived there the first 19 years of my life (1960-1979). Few kids recall HOW they became a fan of a given team at the age of four years old, but thankfully, by Gods grace and mercy, I somehow latched onto the Cowboys in 1964. Life in PA as a Cowboy fan was "no disco", because I had to not only deal with the Beagle bottom feeder Phans, but also Giant and Steeler folk as well. It was rough.
But I tell you this because, being from there, the above stated mindset, in general, is the "default" position of the vast majority. Not only as football fans or sports fans et. al., but most people just walk around pissed off, nothing nice to say about anyone, and resentful and bitter toward ANYONE who even smells of "success". It's that good ole' "steel worker/coal miner/union" mindset that see's the world in negative terms from the time it wakes up in the morning. They're just LOOKING for something to complain about. It's "psychology 101"..............put everyone and everything around you DOWN so as to make yourself feel better about your self-inflicted crappy lot in life.
In my house, my neighborhood, my community, schools, etc.............everywhere you go and everyone you meet.........nothing nice to say about anyone or anything. Life basically SUCKS, so therefore YOU'RE LIFE must suck too.
Take it to Lincoln Financial Stadium, or over on the IGGLPHANS forum, and you see that they're just simply applying their general disposition toward EVERYTHING toward the sports they follow.
I got the shock of my life when, in 1979 I moved to Houston. I was literally stunned and shocked to actually be in a community that celebrated success. People who settle for the mediocrity that this life offers to those without drive and dreams and daring to make something of themselves. I, of course still have a lot of family in PA., and nothing has really changed. I am now the source of much angst and consternation, bitterness, jealousy and scorn, simply because I ended up in Hawaii these last 22 years. As if I moved to Hawaii just to get under someone else's skin or something!!
But that's the way they see it up there. I'm all "uppity" and arrogant, rich and "better than them" simply because I had a little nuggets to chase a dream or two.
Of course they utterly despise the Cowboys, and viciously HATE Cowboy fans. Because the Cowboy/Eagle saga is a micro-ism, a window into the overall nasty disposition of the Philly populace in general. "We suck". "You win, and we can have that because WE can't win." "So therefore, we must assualt you, besmirch you, and call you every gutter-sniping, bottom feeding maggot name we could think off". "Maybe we will even physically assault you, because your success is pissing us off............."

JerryFan

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2525614 said:
Wow. Just wow!

No matter how many times I read stories like this, it still makes my blood boil. Little old ladies cursing... Entire groups of fans tormenting little girls... Unbelievable.

I'd love to see Larry Allen go to an Eagles game and see how tough those guys are then.

FWIW, on another board a couple of Ravens fans were giving Cowboys fans props for being civil and polite on their trip to Texas Stadium last week. Even they volunteered that we were as far from Philly fans as you could get. Seems it's universally agreed that Philly fans are the biggest loser degenerate scumbags in the league.

Add to that it seems to be tolerated by the security guards and it's a complete joke. If you did that in the midwest you would get thrown out of the game in a heartbeat.

deepBLUE

Reaction score
at the risk of offending secularist's tender ears...i (only slightly tongue-in-cheek) suspect that even divine sensibilities cannot quite tolerate a championship in a city of such people...

jamesdojr

Reaction score
I've been there twice with my jersey on. It's not that bad. I was ribbed once and the people were nice. No cursing. Didn't hear anyone screaming at kids. I will say their stadium is loud and the fans certainly are hardcore. But this story is WAY overexxagerated.

Raiders MUCH worse than Philly.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
theebs;2525610 said:
Overrated.

Buffalo is a much tougher stadium to go into.

Philly fans are jerks and will throw beer at you, but in the new building they are not bad at all.

Sorry Buddy I must digress, Philly takes the CAKE !!! By far been to every staduim and that is by far the sickest of all time worse then the Boston Garden to Canadien fans...Philly just sucks.....