What’s your opinion on what Greg Olsen said about “taking the foot off the gas” in the fourth quarter?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I disagree. And it’s not Bc it’s a rival and there’s no love lost. It’s Bc it’s still a fake and our guys wanna play. We want rush to get chemistry with his guys. We wanna see bass.

We also want to get guys some stats for their careers.

and also I think it’s safer for our offense to keep the ball and let the clock wind down rather than have our defense out there having to chase the giants around who will be throwing it around.

It’s really not that serious . And honestly the giants should apologize to us for not giving us a good challenge

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I could care less about taking the foot off the gas. Honestly if the Giants don't stop trying to score why should the Cowboys? You're getting your backup QB actual game time reps and I see no issue with doing that. If the Giants didn't like it they could always try and stop em, no?

CCBoy

Reaction score
I disagree. And it’s not Bc it’s a rival and there’s no love lost. It’s Bc it’s still a fake and our guys wanna play. We want rush to get chemistry with his guys. We wanna see bass.

and also I think it’s safer for our offense to keep the ball and let the clock wind down rather than have our defense out there having to chase the giants around who will be throwing it around.

It’s really not that serious . And honestly the giants should apologize to us for not giving us a good challenge
Most of the 4th quarter had quite a few replacements filling in already. The team is still trying to develop rhythm. Tell the other professionals to get better!

Agreed with your post...

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I recall when the Patriots almost had an undefeated season when Belicheat and Brady had no reservations about keeping starters in and running up scores in blow outs. The time to complain about that kind of stuff was back then.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are the back ups supposed to do, lay down and basically give up. They are playing for their football futures. Rather with the current team or eventually another team.
As many of them will be replaced next year anyway. Or a good chance they will be.

Also there is a tie breaker such as point differential. Not just with th current opponents but with all teams within the conference.

I remember a game I forget what year. I believe Dallas had to beat a division rival by like 38 points to win the division. The last week of the season. So in reality they should have been running up the scores in other games.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson was accused of runing up the score, can't remember if it was college or pros but his reply was something to the effect of, "we're playing our backups and I'm not going to tell them to not score. If the opposing team doesn't like it, they should stop us."

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
when Greg becomes a coach he can do that. They were evaluating players. sheesh with a melon head and that tumor on the front of his head he should known that. If he wanted to leave early, he should have. sheesh.

Last edited:

INCowboysFan

Reaction score

This isn't pee wee or even high school football where some teams just have much greater talent. These guys get paid to play. We've taken our foot off the gas in recent memory and it has cost us games. Never let up on an opponent. Even with the back ups in, keep running your offense (minus low % pass plays). If they can't stop it, oh well.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson was accused of runing up the score, can't remember if it was college or pros but his reply was something to the effect of, "we're playing our backups and I'm not going to tell them to not score. If the opposing team doesn't like it, they should stop us."
That was definitely in college. I believe it was after Miami completely ran it up on Notre Dame one year

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Buddy Ryan ran the score up on Tom.

At the time, Dallas coach Tom Landry was … not pleased.

“It’s not worthy of comment. Everybody has to live with themselves. I don’t have to live with it. I was afraid it might be like this,” he said of the play, according to a Houston Chronicle article from the following day.

But Ryan’s decision to call the play was rooted in more than his merciless desire to win. It was revenge, carefully planned and perfectly executed, for the Cowboys victory two weeks earlier against an Eagles team depleted by a 24-day players’ strike.

According to a Dallas Morning News article from Oct. 12, 1987, seven Dallas regulars—all of whom had recently crossed the picket line to get paid—suited up for the game against the Eagles. Among them were quarterback Danny White and running back Tony Dorsett. As no Eagles players had broken rank, the team played with replacement players and was trounced, 41-22.

“I don’t have a lot to comment on,” a seething Ryan said after the game, according to an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer. ”I thought our offensive line did a super job, compared to who they were blocking. (The Cowboys) ended up playing Randy (White) and “Too Tall” (Jones) toward the end there, when we were on the 10-yard line, so the kids gave a good effort.”

Ryan staked out no position regarding the strike, except to demand that his players act as one, no matter the decision. This was as close as any coach in the league was going to get to a pro-labor position, and in fact that’s how it was received by Ryan’s own boss. After the Eagles’ loss to the Cowboys, the team’s owner, Norman Braman, dismissed Ryan’s calls for team unity and begged players to cross the picket line. At the time, the Eagles were one of seven teams who had yet to have a union member defect, according to the Philadelphia Daily News.

Bagman

Reaction score
Olsen was complaining about Dallas throwing downfield with a 39 point lead with 14 min left in the game and yet the Giants threw 8 passes in the last 1:25 of the game, scoring a TD with 10 seconds left. Shouldn't the Giants have taken a knee and gotten out of Dodge ? How come it's ok for NY to keep firing bullets but not Dallas. I really can't take Olsen seriously anymore.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
It's like the entire NFL world has gone entire Piranha stat mode, all players want to elevate stats vs inferior opponents.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
That was definitely in college. I believe it was after Miami completely ran it up on Notre Dame one year
Like 58-7, one the greatest sports days of my life. This may sound blasphemous to other Hurricanes fans, but I enjoy beating ND more than even FSU. I can't stand ND.