What’s your opinion on what Greg Olsen said about “taking the foot off the gas” in the fourth quarter?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Yes, I'd love nothing more than to roll over for the rest of the game so I could coddle the NY Giants feelings.

GTHO of here Olsen.

We've had that crew for what feels like 5 games straight. Will look forward to not hearing him next game.

Flamma

Reaction score
I disagree. And it’s not Bc it’s a rival and there’s no love lost. It’s Bc it’s still a fake and our guys wanna play. We want rush to get chemistry with his guys. We wanna see bass.

We also want to get guys some stats for their careers.

and also I think it’s safer for our offense to keep the ball and let the clock wind down rather than have our defense out there having to chase the giants around who will be throwing it around.

It’s really not that serious . And honestly the giants should apologize to us for not giving us a good challenge
Is there a video of him yapping? Look, how about not dancing in the endzone after you pick off Cooper Rush late in a blowout game? That was a disgraceful display by the Giants defender. Did he just crawl out from under a rock? Are you serious?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I disagree. And it’s not Bc it’s a rival and there’s no love lost. It’s Bc it’s still a fake and our guys wanna play. We want rush to get chemistry with his guys. We wanna see bass.

and also I think it’s safer for our offense to keep the ball and let the clock wind down rather than have our defense out there having to chase the giants around who will be throwing it around.

It’s really not that serious . And honestly the giants should apologize to us for not giving us a good challenge
I dont care what Olson has to say. We had almost an entire 4th quarter. What better chance for Rush to get out and get some decent real game time minutes, along with others that dont play much. This is when teams run on 1st, get stuffed, run on 2nd get stuffed, incomplete pass, then punt.

Did Olson question why were the Giants calling time out in the final minute down 49-10? nope, he wasnt. By the way, that last garbage TD with 4 seconds left cost me my fantasy game..... so screw the Giants.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It's like the entire NFL world has gone entire Piranha stat mode, all players want to elevate stats vs inferior opponents.
go listen to the sounds from the sidelines or whatever it is called. They were talking about Lamb needing another catch and 8 yards to set that 10 catch, 150 yards in 3 games record. So yea, its hard to give those records any credence when you are out in a garbage game aking sure you do it.

Like Niners were feeding McCafrey last week in a blowout in the last drive trying to make sure he got another TD.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson was accused of runing up the score, can't remember if it was college or pros but his reply was something to the effect of, "we're playing our backups and I'm not going to tell them to not score. If the opposing team doesn't like it, they should stop us."
Jimmy at the U.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I am old school so for me, you don't throw on 1st and 2nd down when the game is out of hand in the 4th quarter. Running up the score shows up the opponent and that isn't sportsmanship. Besides, with the game out of reach just run down the clock and end the game as quickly as possible. I'd hate to see someone get hurt late in the game when the game could have been over.

What was the point of trying to score late while putting in the second string defense that allowed a score?

But I get it, the 2nd string guys who played deserve a chance to have some fun too.
I disagree. If you want me to let up pull your starters and I will pull mine. Given NYG are slightly different since a lot of their starters are 2nd string but still. I am good with our back ups on offense getting good reps against 1st string lite probably the most meaningful reps the team will get on film for evaluation.

Toro9

Reaction score
We wanted to see what the backups could do. It was worth it imo

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The late great college coach Mike Leach used to teach his players to play hard every play no matter the score. He also believed in running the team’s offense no matter the score and that it was up to the opponent to stop you. And when backups and deep bench players come in, they shouldn’t be expected to just go half speed.

Now that doesn’t mean a coach should “rub it in“ with meaningless scoring, especially in the last minute of the game when an opportunity to kneel and run out the clock is there. But that’s different than doing that with 8 min to play.

Reaction score

Olson sucks, I'd love for him to move over to CBS and call the AFC games instead.

But yeah, for all the reasons you stated it was the right thing to do. If they're loading up for the expected run then why run into a brick wall when you can throw the easy pass? Keep the ball, run the clock, get your guys some quality reps. Makes all the sense in the world unless you're a broadcaster doofus with an axe to grind.

A couple of times last year I synced up the Cowboys radio broadcast with the game and loved it, time to revisit that strategy.

Jarntt

Reaction score
How else do you evaluate backups in real game situations?
While somewhat useful it isn't high on the list of priorities to see the backups all together in a game. What does it tell you to see them as a group when they will never play that way unless the entire starting 11 goes down? They see the backups every day in practice. They see the backups throughout the preseason. They sprinkle the backups in throughout the game, throughout the year. If your point is Rush he played last year and we know what he can and can't do. If it isn't a blow out you don't see them any way. It seems more a thing for fans to worry/wonder about

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
The Giants didn't take their foots off and there was no hope for them. Dak could have thrown 600 yards and 6 tds

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
What are the back ups supposed to do, lay down and basically give up. They are playing for their football futures. Rather with the current team or eventually another team.
As many of them will be replaced next year anyway. Or a good chance they will be.

Also there is a tie breaker such as point differential. Not just with th current opponents but with all teams within the conference.

I remember a game I forget what year. I believe Dallas had to beat a division rival by like 38 points to win the division. The last week of the season. So in reality they should have been running up the scores in other games.
I think the 30 yard pass downfield by Rush set him off.

lopey

Reaction score
Olsens a hack. Players are taught if your on the field you give your all if not to score but to prevent injury.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I think the 30 yard pass downfield by Rush set him off.
These guys are players they want to play at least a little bit.

Flea flicker double reverse ? Alright that’s dumb. But just running your offense with an entire quarter left is the right thing.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If you don't like when the opposing team scores on you, all you have to do is stop them. Since that's the entire idea of the game of football, Olsen can shut his virtue signaling piehole.

mrmojo

Reaction score
There was still a whole 4th quarter left to play when the back ups came in. Playing at half speed and being conservative can lead to more injury. I don't have a problem with it, if it becomes an issue then the NFL should just let the clock run....which is more embarasing in my opinion.

rambo2

Reaction score

I think it was stupid because they were giving the 2nd team some work.