What a crock of crap.. The guy who hurt McNabb Fined 7500 for the hit

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
This is total BS the guy made a perfect tackle. Its hard to move your head when you hit someone square in the mid section. He didn't lead with his helmet or the crown of it. The NFL is getting over powerful and way out of line with some of these fines.

Updated: Sep. 15, 2005, 3:06 PM ET
Nine players fined for Eagles-Falcons rumbleAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- Nine players were fined for their roles in a fight before Monday night's game between the Eagles and Falcons, with Atlanta defensive tackle Chad Lavalais drawing the biggest fine -- $7,500 -- for a hit on Donovan McNabb during the game.

Lavalais was fined for using his helmet on McNabb, who hurt his chest on the play. McNabb is questionable for Philadelphia's game Sunday against San Francisco because of the injury.

For the pregame fight, which resulted in Falcons cornerback Kevin Mathis and Eagles linebacker Jeremiah Trotter being ejected before kickoff, both players got $5,000 fines. Also receiving a $5,000 hit was cornerback DeAngelo Hall for unsportsmanlike conduct for grabbing an opponent's facemask and then throwing the opponent's helmet.

Three Falcons were fined $2,500 for entering a fight area, which made them active participants: safety Keion Carpenter, cornerback-kick returner Allen Rossum and safety Kevin McCadam.

Along with Trotter, the three Eagles fined for entering a fight area were linebackers Keith Adams, Jason Short and Mike Labinjo.

During warmups, Trotter apparently pushed Mathis, who responded with a punch. Hall also appeared to throw a punch. Then everyone got into it, forcing the officials to intervene.

Trotter and Mathis were ejected after the officials peered into the replay monitor, which is normally used to rectify disputed calls during the game. This time, it helped determine who started the fight and which players were involved.

Moments later, another brawl nearly broke out. As the Atlanta players were trotting back to the locker room, they noticed the Eagles gathering on the Falcons logo in the middle of the field.

The Falcons ran en masse back to the 50-yard line and fought for position with the Eagles, forcing the officials to separate the teams again. No punches were thrown, and both teams went off slowly in opposite directions to their respective locker rooms.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
It's called "Spearing" and it's illegal in the NFL, whether you like it or not.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Rack said:
It's called "Spearing" and it's illegal in the NFL, whether you like it or not.
he didn't lead with the crown of his helmet. He did what is taught by placing his facemask right in the middle of his chest. He didn't spear him.

StateCollegeCowboy

aka BostonCowboy
Reaction score
Actually, I thought he was going to get flagged when I saw the play. The guy speared McNabb with the top of his helmet. Spearing has always produced fines and flags if the refs see it.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
he didn't lead with the crown of his helmet. He did what is taught by placing his facemask right in the middle of his chest. He didn't spear him.

LMAO!

What game were you watching? His facemask was facing the ground. It WAS spearing, no doubt about it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:

That is the way I saw it as well.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
That is the way I saw it as well.

YOu saw it wrong. It was clearly Spearing. Should of been flagged for it, but I'm glad he wasn't. :D

sporadic

Reaction score
I think the rule now is you cannot lead with the helmet, or use it as a "weapon" period. I guess players will have to run around the guy they are trying to tackle and throw them down from behind...what a load of crap. BTW...the Horsecollar rule sure was not enforced on the tackle of Whitten against SD...if that was not the epitome of a Horsecollar, I do not know what is. I gues that is reserved for Wide Receivers, QB's and RB's...Tight ends do not apply.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rack said:
YOu saw it wrong. It was clearly Spearing. Should of been flagged for it, but I'm glad he wasn't. :D

I just stated what I saw and the guy used his facemask not the crown of his helmet. Personally I think the NFL with all these fines are full of ****, I'm sick of watching QB being overly protected. God how I miss the old NFL!!!!

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
He definitely led with the crown of his helmet and I thought he would draw a flag then. The fine is in line with what the NFL has handed down in the past for a similar infraction.

sporadic

Reaction score
Bungarian said:
The guy clearly speared McNabb and should have been fined.
I thought he hit him with the top-edge of his facemask, REALLY close to a spear, but not "clear" by any means.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
If you hurt them by spearing them, yes, you will.

I did not notice the spear.
I am not saying it wasn't , just as I watched the game it did not stick out to me.
I guess I just haven't gotten over the old niner/tags cheating days ,then the T.O. horsecollar thing.

Barrister

Reaction score
I also agree that it was CLEARLY a spear. Not only did he lead with the crown of his helmet, he launched himself towards McNabb, helmet first, face down.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
sporadic said:
I thought he hit him with the top-edge of his facemask, REALLY close to a spear, but not "clear" by any means.

I agree was not clear .
I was watching and did not notice.
Again I am not saying it did not happen .
I just did not notice