What a crock of crap.. The guy who hurt McNabb Fined 7500 for the hit

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I just stated what I saw and the guy used his facemask not the crown of his helmet. Personally I think the NFL with all these fines are full of ****, I'm sick of watching QB being overly protected. God how I miss the old NFL!!!!

He didn't use his facemask. He used the top of his helmet. He was facing the ground when he hit McNabb. It was an easy call to make and he should be fined.

IMO, that rule should be in place not cuz you might hurt someone if you spear them, but because you can actually hurt YOURSELF by spearing. You can end up paralyzed tackling people like that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Barrister said:
I also agree that it was CLEARLY a spear. Not only did he lead with the crown of his helmet, he launched himself towards McNabb, helmet first, face down.

If it was that CLEAR we would not be seeing people disagreeing about the hit including the refs

sporadic

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
He definitely led with the crown of his helmet and I thought he would draw a flag then. The fine is in line with what the NFL has handed down in the past for a similar infraction.

I was shocked when they did not throw the hanky...almost everyone gets flagged just for leading with the helmet (especially on QB's, double especislly on premier QB's) spearing aside.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
If it was that CLEAR we would not be seeing people disagreeing about the hit including the refs

YEs we would. People will always find a reason to disagree, no matter how clear it is. Some people are letting the fact that it happened to an Eagles player clear their judgement.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rack said:
He didn't use his facemask. He used the top of his helmet. He was facing the ground when he hit McNabb. It was an easy call to make and he should be fined.

IMO, that rule should be in place not cuz you might hurt someone if you spear them, but because you can actually hurt YOURSELF by spearing. You can end up paralyzed tackling people like that.

Again if it was easy then we would not have people claiming to see it the other way including the Ref who was standing next to the play. Evidently you saw it one way not everyone did

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rack said:
YEs we would. People will always find a reason to disagree, no matter how clear it is. Some people are letting the fact that it happened to an Eagles player clear their judgement.

OK whatever, not going to spend any more time on somthing as stupid as this. As for it happening to an eagle player that is not the case.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Again if it was easy then we would not have people claiming to see it the other way including the Ref who was standing next to the play. Evidently you saw it one way not everyone did

Since when to the refs catch every penalty that happens in every game?

And read my above post. It was CLEARLY a spear. Anyone that disagrees obviously doesn't know the definition of a "Spear".

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
OK whatever, not going to spend any more time on somthing as stupid as this. As for it happening to an eagle player that is not the case.

Someone already posted IN THIS THREAD that "since it happened to an eagles player it's a fine" or something like that. So my opinion is valid in this case. I didn't say it applied to everyone that disagreed.

sporadic

Reaction score
Rack said:

I HATE the Eagles for all I am worth, I would LOVE to say someone speared him and got away with it (I guess they did not get away with it since he was fined)...It just did not seem like a true "spear" to me. It looked like he put his helmet in his chest and drove him to the ground. I just think the NFL is too restricive on Defenses, the QB might as well wear a red jersey like in practice.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rack said:
Someone already posted IN THIS THREAD that "since it happened to an eagles player it's a fine" or something like that. So my opinion is valid in this case. I didn't say it applied to everyone that disagreed.

You saw one way I saw another if that is not good enough for you then fine. By the way I know what the definition of spearing is. As for it being an eagle player I don't care who it was or what team they play for that does not sway what I see.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
sporadic said:
I think the rule now is you cannot lead with the helmet, or use it as a "weapon" period. I guess players will have to run around the guy they are trying to tackle and throw them down from behind...what a load of crap. BTW...the Horsecollar rule sure was not enforced on the tackle of Whitten against SD...if that was not the epitome of a Horsecollar, I do not know what is. I gues that is reserved for Wide Receivers, QB's and RB's...Tight ends do not apply.

The horsecollar tackle is enforced when you grab the collar of the shoulder pads and drag them down. On the Witten play he was grabbed by the neck of the jersey which is still legal

sporadic

Reaction score
I think a fitting end to this thread should be..."THE EAGLES SUCK...PERIOD"

sporadic

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
The horsecollar tackle is enforced when you grab the collar of the shoulder pads and drag them down. On the Witten play he was grabbed by the neck of the jersey which is still legal

I thought he landed on the back of Whittens leg...ala Roy and B.O., if not then I am wrong.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe one of you guys could go and do a search for a picture of Chad hitting McD. :cool:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
sporadic said:
I HATE the Eagles for all I am worth, I would LOVE to say someone speared him and got away with it (I guess they did not get away with it since he was fined)...It just did not seem like a true "spear" to me. It looked like he put his helmet in his chest and drove him to the ground. I just think the NFL is too restricive on Defenses, the QB might as well wear a red jersey like in practice.

We definitely agree on that one.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Maybe one of you guys could go and do a search for a picture of Chad hitting McD. :cool:

I already did. Couldn't find it.

HanfordDixon

Please, Call Me Shirley
Reaction score
You guys can't look at a replay and determine the position of a guy's helmut?

He launched himself helmut-first into McNabb's chest.

That was an easy penalty call. Quite often there is no penalty when a illegal hit takes place and the fine comes after review.

It was a good fine. I'm surprised it wasn't more.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
HanfordDixon said:
You guys can't look at a replay and determine the position of a guy's helmut?

He launched himself helmut-first into McNabb's chest.

That was an easy penalty call. Quite often there is no penalty when a illegal hit takes place and the fine comes after review.

It was a good fine. I'm surprised it wasn't more.

Are you a Browns fan? Where's Frank Minnifield? :cool:

aikemirv

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Should we all kick in to pay the fine?

Joking people.

That would be really funny and a great news story.

"7500 Cowboys fans contribute $1 each for the Spear On Mcnabb"