What a difference between this coaching staff and the prior regime?

plasticman

Reaction score
Yes, let's play the comparison game.

Campo:

2000 - 5-11
2001 - 5-11
2002 - 5-11

Garrett :

2011 - 8-8
2012 - 8-8
2013 - 8-8

What was the real difference in these two teams? Campo had a broken down Aikman on his last year and two years of Quincy Carter.

Romo was starting for Garrett. Think that would have been worth three wins a season?
11-5 is just as close to 8-8 as 5-11.

The difference is that Campo lost over twice as much as he won.

Again, this is not an evaluation of Garrett and it is not a defense of him. I'm saying that, thus far, there is no difference.in the winning percentage and that's what it is always supposed to be about.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
What a difference between this coaching staff and the prior regime. Garrett would have told the world if Dak was starting or not, just to give a fair shot to our opponents :rolleyes:. I hated that about Garrett, but I love this about our coaching staff now. Why's disclose anything that isn't required by the leauge? Even Jerry and Stephen aren't saying much on the radio anymore. What a change we're starting to see. I like it.

Vegas knew this closely-guarded secret on Friday. :muttley:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well, since you couldn’t hold your own in the actual discussions all those years, I suppose this is as good a way as any for trying to e we irk out your frustration. It's a good thing for you you’re so quick with an insult!

Enjoy the season. I’m here if you’re ever interested in an actual football discussion at some point.

Why would anyone want to have a football conversation with someone like you? You have proven without a doubt that you dont understand football. Your Garrett massacre is legendary on here.

And to think how rude you have been to all the patrons on here in your efforts to pump up your hero Garrett. Then you have the nerve to pop up out of hiding for over a year and chastise someone for a perceived insult?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
11-5 is just as close to 8-8 as 5-11.

The difference is that Campo lost over twice as much as he won.

Again, this is not an evaluation of Garrett and it is not a defense of him. I'm saying that, thus far, there is no difference.in the winning percentage and that's what it is always supposed to be about.

For someone who is not defending nor evaluating Garrett, you have spent quite a lot of words on this subject while you deny any rebuttal.

plasticman

Reaction score
For someone who is not defending nor evaluating Garrett, you have spent quite a lot of words on this subject while you deny any rebuttal.
I am, aren't I......

Well, change was supposed to be for the better, maybe I'm just jumping the gun. If the Cowboys win tonight then the coaching will have played a huge part and I will gladly eat crow.

Xeven

Reaction score
Garret was just dumb. His process might work better in College ball though.

Havic

Reaction score
You can list numerous things here but I think the biggest is in game adjustments. Garrets approach was just to "beat your man" MM has actual adjustments.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Garret was just dumb. His process might work better in College ball though.
screw trying to defend anyone.. facts wont sway you. He didnt win in the playoffs, which is all anyone will return to, but what exactly was his record over his coaching career? IN his 9 1/2 seasons he had 1 losing record. Dislike him, fine, but he is not dumb.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I am, aren't I......

Well, change was supposed to be for the better, maybe I'm just jumping the gun. If the Cowboys win tonight then the coaching will have played a huge part and I will gladly eat crow.

So am I reading your implication correctly that coaching hasn't done squat yet?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think McCarthy is a special coach, if that’s the question. Moore’s a special OC, and Quinn is better DC than any we’ve had since Zimmer. Kudos to McCarthy for assembling a really good staff.

McCarthy is clearly better than Garrett.

It is even more obvious now than it was then that Garrett interfered with Moore's game plan in 2019 game 4.
- The Cowboys had won 3 in a row and Moore's play calling, play designs were obvious.
- Then in game 4 the Cowboys just kept ramming Zeke into the middle of the Saints DL with poor results.
- Now that we've seen a significant sample size of Moore as OC, it is obvious that game was opposite of this style.
- Moore's style is target the weakness of a defense and just keep doing it over and over.
- The Saints front 7 was a team strength as of that game.

dfense

Reaction score
Garrett regime? As if he was in charge of any coaching hires. The "regime" still owns the team. And I'm not sure anyone has any influence on what Jerrah wants to pontificate about. How quickly we forget about Nolan.

Reactions: BAT

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
And the fact that Jason had to work his way through cap hades? Did he get a pass for that?

What about two seasons, 2015 and 2016, in which he lost his starting quarterback for most of the season?

What was Jason criticized the most for? Wasn't it game management? Questionable decisions?

I thought the bar was set at "no excuses".

McCarthy's first 22 games: 11-11
Garrett's first 22 games 13-9
Garrett's last 22 games: 13-9

Don't get me wrong, that was never the standard and that is why Garrett was fired. I'm just trying to be fair and , in all fairness, this present coaching staff has accomplished nothing that Garrett didn't accomp0lish at points in his tenure. All the Cowboys have for now is potential. We've been there.

Your counting 2020 which was a freak year. Garrett, in all fairness, was already the OC. Thus he never had the challenge of not having a off season and implementing a new system in place.

Reactions: BAT

plasticman

Reaction score
Your counting 2020 which was a freak year. Garrett, in all fairness, was already the OC. Thus he never had the challenge of not having a off season and implementing a new system in place.
So much for the "no excuses" philosophy.

Shall I list the most common excuses for the Cowboys record under Garrett?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
So much for the "no excuses" philosophy.

Shall I list the most common excuses for the Cowboys record under Garrett?

Those aren't excuses. Those are facts.

McCarthy couldn't implement his system due to the pandemic.

Lost Dak.

Lost almost the entire D-line.

Terrible defense.

Not making any excuses for McCarthy. He isn't also.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am, aren't I......

Start chowing down. We are waiting....

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Quinn is much better at finding ways to use the talent we have them what Marinelli could do.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCarthy is clearly better than Garrett.

It is even more obvious now than it was then that Garrett interfered with Moore's game plan in 2019 game 4.
- The Cowboys had won 3 in a row and Moore's play calling, play designs were obvious.
- Then in game 4 the Cowboys just kept ramming Zeke into the middle of the Saints DL with poor results.
- Now that we've seen a significant sample size of Moore as OC, it is obvious that game was opposite of this style.
- Moore's style is target the weakness of a defense and just keep doing it over and over.
- The Saints front 7 was a team strength as of that game.

If you’re happy with him, I’m happy for you, and happy enough, in general.

I’m not especially impressed with MM, but like I said when he was brought in, he’s a good coach with good playoff experience. There’s no denying his team is playing really well right now and is a contender, if not maybe even the front runner, in the NFC. It’s been a fun season.

Moore is the guy I’ve been really impressed with.