What a difference between this coaching staff and the prior regime?

plasticman

Reaction score
Start chowing down. We are waiting....

For what?

As I said, I am happy to be wrong and I certainly wasn't alone. In that sense I have "eaten crow".

The posts on each thread go back 15 years. I'm sure if I did a little research I could find several examples for each poster where they needed to eat crow.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Garrett sucked. Welcome to what was obvious around 2013.

I thought he earned the chance with the team's performance in 2010 when he took over, but after 3 consecutive 8-8s with Romo bailing him out every game in the 2nd half it was clear he was in over his head.

McCarthy may not be perfect, but he's head-and-shoulders ahead of Jason.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you’re happy with him, I’m happy for you, and happy enough, in general.

I’m not especially impressed with MM, but like I said when he was brought in, he’s a good coach with good playoff experience. There’s no denying his team is playing really well right now and is a contender, if not maybe even the front runner, in the NFC. It’s been a fun season.

Moore is the guy I’ve been really impressed with.
MM has given Moore complete control over offense. Garrett would not do it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What a difference between this coaching staff and the prior regime. Garrett would have told the world if Dak was starting or not, just to give a fair shot to our opponents :rolleyes:. I hated that about Garrett, but I love this about our coaching staff now. Why's disclose anything that isn't required by the leauge? Even Jerry and Stephen aren't saying much on the radio anymore. What a change we're starting to see. I like it.
And it was Jethro who was blabbing his mouth more before not Garrett.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
MM has given Moore complete control over offense. Garrett would not do it.
I’d argue it is Jethro who has given that control. Remember it was Jethro who took those responsibilities away from Garrett.

Reactions: BAT

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett was a fraud from day 1. He had no business being an OC let alone a HC. Jerry is stubborn so that wasted 10 years.
Right

And in the end when it was obvious to everyone a change was needed still was looking for a way to retain Garrett.

Reactions: BAT

Diehardblues

Reaction score
just paying it forward for the garbage you put CZ members through for 10+ years blindly defending a pathetic HC
So pathetic that he arguably had the most success of any HC this past era which includes some more proven and or experienced coaches.

Jethro just allowed him to hang around too long and in the end still didn’t want him to leave.

And before we totally anoint this staff which should be having more success as they are proven and experienced we might wait until the end of January. Unless of course you’re going to enjoy disappointment and frustration more with them.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
What a difference between this coaching staff and the prior regime. Garrett would have told the world if Dak was starting or not, just to give a fair shot to our opponents :rolleyes:. I hated that about Garrett, but I love this about our coaching staff now. Why's disclose anything that isn't required by the leauge? Even Jerry and Stephen aren't saying much on the radio anymore. What a change we're starting to see. I like it.

Biggest difference is experience. Garret had a lot of researched knowledge. Heck he even admitted to seeking out the advice of other coaches in other sports and leagues. The guy is frighteningly intelligent, and this ahs been backed up by many.

But book smart doesn't translate into street smart (football smart) all the time. Garrett became the HC of the Cowboys wtihout a lot a scars and wounds of being a longtime HC.

kevm3

Reaction score
One, Mike has been HC for a while so he's not threatened by the assistants under him. He knows to get out of Kellen Moore's way, where as Moore was handcuffed prior.

Also, McCarthy seems to keep a distance from the players, whereas Garrett had a tier of players that were essentially his homeboys. This created division in the locker room, which is what Dez was talking about earlier.

There also seems to be a bit more accountability. Even though publicly McCarthy is saying it wasn't due to performance, guys like Jaylon and Anae got cut because of errors or ineffectivity. McCarthy just knows how to keep it professional enough to not embarrass the player publicly.

kevm3

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing is that we're winning games that we would normally have lost... games where we play completely bad or are getting hosed by the refs but still win. The Patriots game and the Vikings game are a couple of examples. I think Quinn and having players like Kearse, Parsons and Diggs has completely rearranged this defense. The attitude is completely different. We're not getting clowned on defense like before and guys are actually hitting. Like you can clearly see the attitude difference in the 'old guard' players and the new ones. Just look at how Jaylon looked in Green Bay. Look at how Vander Esch looks here. Both of those guys look exactly the same, and it looks like they are playing in a fashion to try to 'stay under the radar' instead of putting it all on the line. That might have been ok in the country club atmosphere of years past, but it's not acceptable now. Remember Vander Esch telling Parsons something along the lines of 'you can't go all out on every play' and Xavier Woods admitting he doesn't give 100% on every play? I just get the feeling that players of the past regime didn't really feel like they can win and Dallas was somewhere they could go to play it safe, not be under intense pressure to win and pick up relatively easy checks. Just look at how the old players never really stood up for each other. When Sean Lee got popped by Golden Tate, nobody got in his face. We won that Patriot games, but Parsons was clearly mad that he didn't pop off the screen, so he came in early and put in work and he looked completely different the next game. These guys seem to have much more comradery and they aren't getting punked and clowned like years past.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
And the fact that Jason had to work his way through cap hades? Did he get a pass for that?

What about two seasons, 2015 and 2016, in which he lost his starting quarterback for most of the season?

What was Jason criticized the most for? Wasn't it game management? Questionable decisions?

I thought the bar was set at "no excuses".

McCarthy's first 22 games: 11-11
Garrett's first 22 games 13-9
Garrett's last 22 games: 13-9

Don't get me wrong, that was never the standard and that is why Garrett was fired. I'm just trying to be fair and , in all fairness, this present coaching staff has accomplished nothing that Garrett didn't accomp0lish at points in his tenure. All the Cowboys have for now is potential. We've been there.
This team is different than Garrett’s teams in so many ways( depth, tenacity, play calling- the leash is off Moore, no excuses for injuries, etc. etc.)
Most fans fan see this, it’s so obvious m.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What a difference it makes........

Funny, that's exactly what Panther fans were saying leading up to the Cowboys game.

Which Cowboys coaching staff? This year's, right? Certainly not last year's.

It's not like Jerry and McCarthy got it right the first time. The 2020 season happened. Let's not forget that.

This current "regime" is now 11-11.

What a difference it makes?
2020 was a strange year for sure. kind of handicapped teams that had new coaches, new schemes, etc. and then add injuries on top of that....any team losing their starting QB, LT, RT is in trouble (see SF last year).

and then its infusion of talent...going from a middling team stuck at 8-8 to 6-1 and a superbowl contender is no easy task. Most on this board didn't expect us to be contenders until next year...oh my how expectations have changes.
....the hardest, absolute hardest thing to do in any organization is changing their culture and we have gone from a culture of no-trust to a team relying on trust. trust between players, between coaches, between players and coaches.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What a difference it makes........

Funny, that's exactly what Panther fans were saying leading up to the Cowboys game.

Which Cowboys coaching staff? This year's, right? Certainly not last year's.

Last year’s Covid offseason? That one?

It's not like Jerry and McCarthy got it right the first time. The 2020 season happened. Let's not forget that.

This current "regime" is now 11-11.

What a difference it makes?

What we also won’t “forget” are the people who made excuses for Garrett for 10 years while they criticized McCarthy after 1. We won’t “forget” that either.