What a loss to Wash could mean

Diehardblues

Reaction score
First of all I’m not predicting a loss , I’m just imagining what it could mean to this season and team. It would drop us to 8-5 only 1 game ahead in division to Wash at 7-6 with a rematch basically for the division in 2 weeks.

Which isn’t the end and the division title could still be out there for us . A win in 2 weeks could put us 2 games up with 2 to go . Pretty good shape… except.

I think there’s some bigger underlying conditions going on here and why our HC felt inclined to make such a boisterous gesture. He senses the weight of this game not only to the season but the hype around this team being a SB contender .

After starting off like one of the best teams this year we’ve fallen in recent weeks and this could continue that Freefall to greater depths . The media will absolutely destroy us and possibly our HC.

This could be a dumpster fire of tremendous proportions . One that might be too great for our HC to overcome moving forward. And why I think this is currently the biggest game in this HC’s tenure. And why he went out on a limb. Cause if we don’t win his future here barring a deep playoff run will be in question moving forward.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of all I’m not predicting a loss , I’m just imagining what it could mean to this season and team. It would drop us to 8-5 only 1 game ahead in division to Wash at 7-6 with a rematch basically for the division in 2 weeks.

Which isn’t the end and the division title could still be out there for us . A win in 2 weeks could put us 2 games up with 2 to go . Pretty good shape… except.

I think there’s some bigger underlying conditions going on here and why our HC felt inclined to make such a boisterous gesture. He senses the weight of this game not only to the season but the hype around this team being a SB contender .

After starting off like one of the best teams this year we’ve fallen in recent weeks and this could continue that Freefall to greater depths . The media will absolutely destroy us and possibly our HC.

This could be a dumpster fire of tremendous proportions . One that might be too great for our HC to overcome moving forward. And why I think this is currently the biggest game in this HC’s tenure. And why he went out on a limb. Cause if we don’t win his future here barring a deep playoff run will be in question moving forward.

Do you really think Jerry would fire (and pay) him with three years left on his deal?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

MM took his 50/50 role of the dice IMO.
Quinns' debut in his absence might have but a rumble in his belly.

DFWJC

Reaction score
A loss to Washington (which I don't think will happen this week) would mean
  1. Dallas would still have 100% full control of their destiny.....as they had before the game
  2. a 1 game lead with 4 games left
  3. another game---at home--with Washington in 2 weeks

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A loss to Washington (which I don't think will happen this week) would mean
  1. Dallas would still have 100% full control of their destiny.....as they had before the game
  2. a 1 game lead with 4 games left
  3. another game---at home--with Washington in 2 weeks

Yeah, but all momentum shifts to a resurgent Washington team.

They would have won what? 5 in a row? While Dallas would be losers of what? 4 of 6?

Jipper

Reaction score
Stop worrying, this team is different....the primary reason we have struggled the last month is from the injuries and covid outbreak, both of which are all behind with the exception of Pollard.

We're going to see them back up MM and put the nail in the coffin convincingly Sunday

Doomsday77

Reaction score
I have to agree that the timing is a little curious with the division title not necessarily on the line. A full compliment of players on both sides of the ball would suggest he feels really good about this game but he might have saved that for the home game against them. It's not like we have some kind of home field advantage there.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah, but all momentum shifts to a resurgent Washington team.

They would have won what? 5 in a row? While Dallas would be losers of what? 4 of 6?
I agree about the momentum....though in the NFL that can really be a week-to-week thing.
Dallas could lose this road game (which I don't think will happen) and then get on their own roll next week.

But as for Dallas controlling their destiny, this game changes nothing either way.
It IS a big game for WFT though. Lose and their division hopes are probably lost. But even then, their WC hopes would remain alive.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree about the momentum....though in the NFL that can really be a week-to-week thing.
Dallas could lose this road game (which I don't think will happen) and then get on their own roll next week.

But as for Dallas controlling their destiny, this game changes nothing either way.
It IS a big game for WFT though. Lose and their division hopes are probably lost. But even then, their WC hopes would remain alive.

I think the Cowboys have to rebuild their confidence and build some momentum leading into the playoffs. They’re as healthy as they’ve been all year so there are no excuses. If they are the playoff team we think, they have to show it from here on out.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Jerry's not firing MM with 3 years left on his contract........just not. Hell, think about this for a second, he refused to Garrett with one year left, instead he let him coach a lame-duck year when everyone in the universe knew he wasn't coming back after 2019. I do agree this is all calculated by MM. As stated in another thread, my guess is he saw something in this team last week sitting at home he didn't like. Whether lack confidence, intensity, or leadership, he decided to take the bull by the horn, and results be damned, good or bad.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It means we lost and move on to the next one.....simple as that. MM doesn't need the money and I'm sure at this time of year he's just thinking about the next game....that's what good coaches do. All these what ifs, are entertaining, but very irrelevant

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
It ain't over til it's over.

A loss tomorrow will be a tough pill to swallow considering how much better the Cowboys look statistically and from a personnel standpoint, but it will in no way be the determining factor for the Division.

Still a lot of football left.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Do you really think Jerry would fire (and pay) him with three years left on his deal?
Depends how it plays out and the public pressure and scrutiny.

CC earlier this year , with all of the Moore talk about him leaving , provided a scenario I hadn’t considered in which we might release MM for another opportunity to retain either of our highly acclaimed Coordinators.

CC’s contention was this isn’t really an ideal place for MM under this ownership . That he was looking for a place to rebound generating more interest for him.

But to answer your question if this season collapses and even if we barely make playoffs and lose out in 1st round I could see us parting ways with MM. I really don’t think paying off his contract would be of concern especially if it meant retaining either of our Coordinators and one for HC.

MM was brought in to take this core of talent to the next level. And if he doesn’t look like the guy at the end of this season along with threat of losing Moore and or Quinn, I’d say yes.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It just means our second meeting at home is a must-win game. We shouldn't even be talking about it until it happens if it happens.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WFT Refs will make sure the Divisional race stays close. :popcorn:
However, if we are a true contender we will defeat the WFT, the Refs and the NFL FO. :thumbdown:

It all starts Sunday, the road to the SB, no detours. :thumbup: :star:

JayFord

Reaction score
If Dallas brings their A game and that same mentality they had against Atl then this game will be won 31-10

If Dallas comes out poor then WFT will win 17-10 and itll feel like 45-10 because WFT can and will hold the ball on offense for an entire quarter if you let them

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think he just answered the question. I expect to split the series with WFT. 1 loss is just a loss, but string them together like we have and it's now a concern. WFT and Philly aren't that far behind us and Philly has knocked us out of the playoffs a few times in recent years. At some point we need to win a few games and time is beginning to run out.