What a loss to Wash could mean

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe if you guarantee a win and lose then you should forfeit your job.

What about fans on here, that say we will lose, as they usually do, should they delete their account. :laugh:
I guess that goes for guaranteed wins also.

I am not in the prediction business (not too often), I just stick with should or should nots. :muttley:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
What about fans on here, that say we will lose, as they usually do, should they delete their account. :laugh:
I guess that goes for guaranteed wins also.

I am not in the prediction business (not too often), I just stick with should or should nots. :muttley:
Some of the "fans" here that predict Cowboys winning in blowouts every week I wouldn't mind seeing them have to delete their accounts when they're wrong.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It means we lost and move on to the next one.....simple as that. MM doesn't need the money and I'm sure at this time of year he's just thinking about the next game....that's what good coaches do. All these what ifs, are entertaining, but very irrelevant
Understood but that’s we often do in a fan forum and social media. We discuss different sometimes bizarre scenarios and offer critical thinking . It’s not for everyone . Thanks for your contribution Coach!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Some of the "fans" here that predict Cowboys winning in blowouts every week I wouldn't mind seeing them have to delete their accounts when they're wrong.
That’s the thing about social media and the internet. There’s no accountability. You can be wrong every single time and continue blasting . The internet allows every blithering idiot and troll a voice we’d otherwise never hear from. Wading thru it all is the biggest obstacle. Fortunately there is some mods controlling content.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Depends how it plays out and the public pressure and scrutiny.

CC earlier this year , with all of the Moore talk about him leaving , provided a scenario I hadn’t considered in which we might release MM for another opportunity to retain either of our highly acclaimed Coordinators.

CC’s contention was this isn’t really an ideal place for MM under this ownership . That he was looking for a place to rebound generating more interest for him.

But to answer your question if this season collapses and even if we barely make playoffs and lose out in 1st round I could see us parting ways with MM. I really don’t think paying off his contract would be of concern especially if it meant retaining either of our Coordinators and one for HC.

MM was brought in to take this core of talent to the next level. And if he doesn’t look like the guy at the end of this season along with threat of losing Moore and or Quinn, I’d say yes.

Couple issues with this

* IF there's free fall or collapse, wouldn't Moore and/or Quinn also be part of the problem?
* We pretty much pencil Moore back 2022. I've read quite a few speculative articles on 2022 coaching candidates and not one has mentioned KM over the last few weeks but Quinn is coming up weekly.
* As a rule, owners make decisions based on an entire season as a whole. A loss Sunday would not end the season or our playoff chances. Suggesting/implying MM could be fired over a loss Sunday is over the top a bit.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends how it plays out and the public pressure and scrutiny.

CC earlier this year , with all of the Moore talk about him leaving , provided a scenario I hadn’t considered in which we might release MM for another opportunity to retain either of our highly acclaimed Coordinators.

CC’s contention was this isn’t really an ideal place for MM under this ownership . That he was looking for a place to rebound generating more interest for him.

But to answer your question if this season collapses and even if we barely make playoffs and lose out in 1st round I could see us parting ways with MM. I really don’t think paying off his contract would be of concern especially if it meant retaining either of our Coordinators and one for HC.

MM was brought in to take this core of talent to the next level. And if he doesn’t look like the guy at the end of this season along with threat of losing Moore and or Quinn, I’d say yes.

I have heard that theory about letting McCarthy go for one of the coordinators but I don’t see it. For two reasons:
  1. It would set a terrible precedent for the Cowboys and Jones family and essentially take them out of being a destination for top coaches. After a blatant betrayal like that, no coach would take this job.
  2. The assistants that they’re talking about have had their own problems. Boy wonder Kellen Moore and his offense haven’t been the same since Denver. They discovered a flaw and weaknesses that Moore still hasn’t been able to fully erase. And Quinn’s defense still gives up too many yards and points.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Dallas can't back up this challenge, then there is no use to get excited about extended games. I like it.
I think we could say we might not longer be contenders with a loss. That’s the vibe I’m getting here locally when I’ve offered up this thought .

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A loss to Washington (which I don't think will happen this week) would mean
  1. Dallas would still have 100% full control of their destiny.....as they had before the game
  2. a 1 game lead with 4 games left
  3. another game---at home--with Washington in 2 weeks
The only thing I'll add is they will have lost 4 of their last 5 games. Not insurmountable but not a good sign

JayFord

Reaction score
Just break yall foot off in they behind

leave the foot in Maryland, the no name team will bring it back to Dallas in 2 weeks

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I have heard that theory about letting McCarthy go for one of the coordinators but I don’t see it. For two reasons:
  1. It would set a terrible precedent for the Cowboys and Jones family and essentially take them out of being a destination for top coaches. After a blatant betrayal like that, no coach would take this job.
  2. The assistants that they’re talking about have had their own problems. Boy wonder Kellen Moore and his offense haven’t been the same since Denver. They discovered a flaw and weaknesses that Moore still hasn’t been able to fully erase. And Quinn’s defense still gives up too many yards and points.
I’d argue we already are not a top destination for highly sought after coaches.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Fans get all pumped up and turn things into something they are not.

A few weeks ago we had a few here saying the Dallas/KC game was the same as Ali/Frasier.... the biggest game in the entire NFL for 2021.

All it was, was a high profile non-divsion, non-conference, middle of the season game.
That's it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I get it and i know anything can happen.

Dallas is the better team and should take care of business.
Of course. That’s a given. But for the sake of discussion. What if we lose. What will be the ramifications?

fredp22

Reaction score
First of all I’m not predicting a loss , I’m just imagining what it could mean to this season and team. It would drop us to 8-5 only 1 game ahead in division to Wash at 7-6 with a rematch basically for the division in 2 weeks.

Which isn’t the end and the division title could still be out there for us . A win in 2 weeks could put us 2 games up with 2 to go . Pretty good shape… except.

I think there’s some bigger underlying conditions going on here and why our HC felt inclined to make such a boisterous gesture. He senses the weight of this game not only to the season but the hype around this team being a SB contender .

After starting off like one of the best teams this year we’ve fallen in recent weeks and this could continue that Freefall to greater depths . The media will absolutely destroy us and possibly our HC.

This could be a dumpster fire of tremendous proportions . One that might be too great for our HC to overcome moving forward. And why I think this is currently the biggest game in this HC’s tenure. And why he went out on a limb. Cause if we don’t win his future here barring a deep playoff run will be in question moving forward.

a loss would put us at 8-5. would a loss suck-yes but would put us us nowhere near as u say the condition of "dumpster fire of tremendous proportions".
we started off strong and someone started that superbowl thread (he got quiet). We have a bumpy stretch and we get dumpster fire threads. We are still jockeying for position here. This game is important but not season ending or anything close to that with a loss.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

As stated Quinn's name is pretty strong out there. From what's I'm hearing./reading, league circles are impress with what he's done without several key players. The biggest concern with him is making sure he has a top-shelf QC.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A good point that I would agree with fur the most part. But I think firing a head coach to keep an assistant would be the nail in the coffin. When they did something similar with Wade and Garrett, the team had collapsed and quit on him. That hasn’t been close to happening with McCarthy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
a loss would put us at 8-5. would a loss suck-yes but would put us us nowhere near as u say the condition of "dumpster fire of tremendous proportions".
we started off strong and someone started that superbowl thread (he got quiet). We have a bumpy stretch and we get dumpster fire threads. We are still jockeying for position here. This game is important but not season ending or anything close to that with a loss.
A dumpster fire doesn’t mean season ending as I stated in OP.

Homer

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys have to rebuild their confidence and build some momentum leading into the playoffs. They’re as healthy as they’ve been all year so there are no excuses. If they are the playoff team we think, they have to show it from here on out.
Agree 100%