What a trade does to this team

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well Stash, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe you are right. Then again, neither of us have a crystal ball. If someone told you that the Vikings would give up what they gave up to get Sam Bradford, I doubt you would have seen that one coming. Personally, I thought it was a good trade for the Vikings. Everyone sees things differently. We are all wrong part of the time. The strength of a person's point of view is not necessarily an indicator that they are right.

Guilty as charged about Bradford. But that was lightning in a bottle. A totally unique situation that worked out great for both parties.

But I'm not even talking about the three 1st round picks part, I'm saying that they can't do it financially even if they wanted to, which they don't.

They'd have to completely rework most of the contracts on the team to then leave themselves without an acceptable backup for what could be a special season.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Palmer netted a first round pick and 2nd rounder when he was traded at age 31.

Three years later, at age 33 or 34, he was traded for a 6th round pick and a conditional pick.

So no, Romo is not getting multiple first round picks in return.

I'll add that Bradford is 28, not 36 and battered.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
In response to the prior posters who think I am delusional, and those who think I am delusional for offering the foregoing, here is my response. You guys have absolutely no idea what a top tier NFL QB will command in terms of salary cap. Romo is a top 5 QB in this league when healthy. That is why even though Dak is winning, he will, in all likelihood be replaced. A top 5 QB will get $20 million per year, IF and I do mean IF you already have one. They don't come available very often. Romo would be an anomaly in the NFL landscape.

No one thought anything of Sam Bradford (actually I did) and he netted a 1st and a 4th that can become a 2nd. Chew on that a little bit and see how it tastes. Romo has a much better resume than Bradford does. Romo will not be cheaply traded away, if the Cowboys have any ******* clue what they are doing. If we actually trade him, I am telling you that if he doesn't net a first I would be more than shocked. Getting a top 5 pick from a team is probably worth more on the trade chart than 3 late round picks.

The Broncos are watching the Vikings win, because they had the balls to trade for Sam Bradford. Say what you want but the Vikings defense is not nearly as good as the Broncos defense is. While it may only make sense to the Broncos to pull the trigger, it is worth a lot to them. Elway has the balls to do that deal. He won a SB with the Peyton Manning risk. If the Broncos think Simian can get it done, then great, But I highly doubt that Lynch will get them where they want to be in the next three years.

Keep in mind that the Vikings traded for Bradford having a guy that they like in Teddy Bridgewater. Teddy may be back next year, or maybe not, but the Vikings didn't wait to see. They pulled the trigger on a less QB than Romo.
I believe there would be a dozen teams interested in Romo........a few would get into a bidding war and the return would be multiple picks..........the floor being a first

ufcrules1

Reaction score
The only right now trade we need is to get a playmaker/defense to help Romo win that super bowl.

Thank you, Dak. You ARE the future. But we are still in last chapter of Tony Romo story.
Get him all the help you can. It worked for Elway twice.
I just need it to happen once.

The only way Romo gets a ring is if Dak leads us to victory in the super bowl. I wouldn't put it past Dak either. Romo is our backup now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe there would be a dozen teams interested in Romo........a few would get into a bidding war and the return would be multiple picks..........the floor being a first

I don't see that. I don't think there are more than 5 teams that would be looking for a 36-year old quarterback with a terrible recent injury history. Most either have a young guy they're developing, one in his prime, or one they're tied to financially even if they don't like him.

Add to that, few if any teams are readily capable of taking on a $20 million-plus per year deal, even I feel they wanted to.

But I would be interested to see which teams you think would be in the running?

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I don't see that. I don't think there are more than 5 teams that would be looking for a 36-year old quarterback with a terrible recent injury history. Most either have a young guy they're developing, one in his prime, or one they're tied to financially even if they don't like him.

Add to that, few if any teams are readily capable of taking on a $20 million-plus per year deal, even I feel they wanted to.

He can't be traded this year.

In the offseason? His contract likely isn't much of a factor for his new team. I could see Chicago, Miami, SF, NYJ, Denver, Cleveland, etc. interested.

JBS

Reaction score
Unless the Broncos are giving us Miller, Harris, Thomas, and Sanders...I'm not giving them Romo

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The teams that need a QB the most, Jets and Bears, are more likely to look at next years draft then a 34 year old QB.

At 1-5 or 1-6 there is no value in getting Romo for this season in my opinion.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Romo isn't going anywhere for a bag of chips. If we move him, it will be for premium compensation. If not he will be the starter when he returns, most likely. So having said that if he was trades this year, (probably only to Denver as that is one of the few teams it makes sense to trade for) or maybe the Jets (they won't make the super bowl this yerar with or without him, but Ryan may trade for him to fix the problem for next year) you would probably net three very late number 1's from denver or possibly two number ones from the Jets.

You would lose the security of Romo being here. Some of you are dismissive of this, but Dak's track record isn't long. You risk teams figuring him out and slowing his roll considerably, which is a substantial risk. It is easy if you say it really fast, but that doesn't change the fact it is a real factor. You are trading your starter. Let that sink in. Jerry takes a lot of risk in making that trade, so he isn't going to just give up Romo and be a laughingstock. He will get enough compensation to do the deal so that even if Prescott fails after the trade he can reasonably say, it was a trade that was worth the risk he took, and for most reasonable minds to agree with that statement.

Having said that, on the other side of the balance sheet it would mean cheap QB play for a couple of years. Not forever. I think Dak is on only a 3 year deak. We will get one more cheap year out of him and then he will cost as much or more than Romo does now. The cap savings matter, but not as much as the draft picks would.

With the three late round #1's you could probably get a late round defensive end to bolster the defense, or a replacement for Mo, if we don't want to pay Mo, which would save a ton of money, a linebacker to add to Lee and hopefully Jaylon. Or you could pay Mo (I would if I could get it reasonably done) draft uthat DE, draft a linebacker with our own #1 pick, and be in pretty good shape on the defense going forward.

Or for you trade Dez junkies, you could draft defense with the acquired #1 pick, and draft a receiver with our first round pick (or vice versa) and go young all the way with our new triplets and trade Dez for a #1. Rinse and repeat that process for two more years.

With the Jets, you are getting a top 10 pick this year, most likely. and a later round pick after that.
What are you talking about..

What team in its right mind would trade for a guy making $20 mil/yr with 3 years left on his deal and who can't stay on the field to save his life.

Please let's open a new Forum and call it Pie In the Sky Zone where we can put threads like this there.

Mods?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Romo is only due 14m next year

WAS, CHI, LA, SF, ARI, BUF, NYJ, MIA, CLE, HOU, KC, DEN would all have interest

QBs of his quality don't hit the market very frequently....they move the dial because the can sell tickets and win games

Kaiser

Reaction score

I agree. Also people always post that Romo is 36 as if he has been starting (and taking a pounding) since he was 22. He didn't start until he was 26, so its not the same comparison as other QBs.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
If he comes back in and plays like 2014 Romo throughout the rest of this season, I wouldn't be shocked if he could draw a 1st and 2nd or possibly a 1st and another conditional 1st based on health from a team that's a QB away. His value right now is very low because nobody knows what he is anymore. But anyone claiming a 2014 like finish would keep his value as it currently sits should take a look around the league.

The main problem they might run into is teams sitting on their hands waiting on him to be cut so they don't have to pony up the picks. If teams don't believe the Cowboys are content to keep him they don't have any leverage in trade talks.

And any thoughts of him being traded this season need to stop. The amount of cap room that would require and the moves necessary to get there would be awful. It's not happening. Not to mention a lot of the teams who are a QB away are already out of the playoff hunt so you're limiting the teams involved in the discussions.

T-RO

Reaction score
This should have been in @Trouty 's I like beer a lot thread.

Romo could fetch a 3rd round pick, conditional 2 at best as a 37 year old next year.

And quite possibly not even that. He's old, banged up and has a brutal salary. But I have changed my thinking from utterly impossible to 10-20% possibility.

T-RO

Reaction score
You are not even on the same planet as reality if you think Romo is worthless.

Bro...walk through it.

You have a sweet truck and you want to sell it. Let's think through it's value.

1. When purchased it was the best truck on the market and it's been awesome. It's 12 years old.
2. It's broken down a few times recently and been sitting in the garage as often as its been on the road.
3. You've had it repaired. It's running good now, though there are known issues that could recur anytime.
4. The bad boy has 194,000 miles on it and the mechanic says the engine might last 10-20k more. Maybe.
5. You refinanced the loan...twice... and still owe 5,500$ on it.

Suppose in its day it was the best Ford truck ever and served you well. What is the net value of the truck?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know what Romo's worth but whatever it is be conditional picks based on his health and playing time

I'm not holding my breath