What a trade does to this team

Sydla

Reaction score
Romo is only due 14m next year

WAS, CHI, LA, SF, ARI, BUF, NYJ, MIA, CLE, HOU, KC, DEN would all have interest

QBs of his quality don't hit the market very frequently....they move the dial because the can sell tickets and win games

Cleveland would have no interest.

Why in the world would they pay an aging QB $14MM next year to QB a team that they know isn't going to be very good and is in the middle of a rebuilding process? They wouldn't. Plus they could have two Top 15 picks in the first round next year and there is no chance given they have admitted they are in a total overhaul of the roster, that they would give up one or both to acquire a QB that might only play for a year or two longer.

As pointed out, some of your teams are a real stretch. Of the 12 teams on your list, maybe 3 would have real interest and zero would give up multiple picks, including maybe a couple of first rounders for him.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
When you factor in his recent injury history, yes, it's the same comparison.

He's an old QB. How anyone can deny that at this point is bizarre to me.

Some team may want him. But this notion that there is going to be this massive bidding war and we are going to grab multiple high picks for him is wishful, homer thinking.
Would you admit that what you think is homer thinking has a much better recent track record than your definitive proclamations?

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Yeah really.

I want to hear what you think is my "track record".
There are specific examples but I don'twant to get into that because it's tangential to my point.

Predictions are fine. Pointless but fine. But definitive negative statements about things you can't possibly know that prove incorrect should maybe give one pause to repeat them at the next opportunity. That is my only argument.

Scandri100

Reaction score
Dez is the most overated player in the league nobody would wanna to trade for him...I seriously only give up 4th rder to get him.

Sydla

Reaction score
There are specific examples but I don'twant to get into that because it's tangential to my point.

Predictions are fine. Pointless but fine. But definitive negative statements about things you can't possibly know that prove incorrect should maybe give one pause to repeat them at the next opportunity. That is my only argument.

Have I been wrong on some of my opinions? Sure. So have you. So has just about every poster on this board. Well maybe not Risen, he's always right. LOL.

In this case, I think it's pretty obvious to say that the Cowboys couldn't get three #1 picks for Tony Romo and that if the Cowboys dangled him there wouldn't be a dozen teams fighting for his services.

Verdict

Reaction score
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo-2447/

I know it's 'only' $14 million in salary for the receiving team, but that's still a solid chunk of change and salary cap. And if the new team wants to keep him, it's essentially $20 million a year afterwards to do so..

But considering what teams have in cap space, and where they are in their building or rebuilding process, the list of teams who might be interested is exceedingly slim. And far fewer than those mentioned on that list.

There may be teams who need a QB who would not want Romo, but cap reasons would not be any sort of significant factor in deciding against Romo. Only 14 million, is way less than the going rate for a franchise QB.

Verdict

Reaction score
It's not confused at all.

Romo could very well still be a very good QB. But when it comes to trading him, there are factors that get thrown into the mix beyond just whether or not he's a good QB. Age. Injury history. Contract. Cap space of team acquiring him. Compensation to get him. Where a team is drafting in the next draft.

Would Romo help Cleveland? Sure. Does it make sense for Cleveland to hand over their Top 5 pick in the 2017 draft or maybe their Top 15 pick they will get from Philly for Romo? Not really. They are in a total rebuild now. What sense does it make for the Browns to take on $14MM in salary for an aging QB when the team around him would be still poor and not ready to win? It makes no sense.

Actually that is a pretty short sighted view. There are more factors that go into team roster decisions than that. I do agree with your general statement that it would appear that Cleveland would continue building its team through the draft rather than trade for an aging QB. So at first blush, most people would expect Cleveland to be excluded from the list of current teams who would be interested in taking on Romo.

Then again, the NFL is also a profit oriented business. The Cleveland fan base has to be totally sick of the Browns and their pathetic performance for many years now. Moreover they have existing players who are trying to escape in a mass exodus. They are not able to compete for free agents because of their situation even if they are willing to overpay to get them.

Them drafting a QB at #1 overall will not likely pay dividends for several years, if at all based on their past history. If Cleveland traded its first round pick to Dallas for its first round pick and Romo, they would have Romo elevate that team to a very competitive team (for a very favorable salary cap number), draft a QB with Dallas' late first round pick, and have that player locked up for 5 years on a very favorable salary cap number. In some sense Cleveland drafting high every year is a bit of a curse because of the cap implications of a pick that high.

There are a lot of different scenarios where Romo could find a home. Some of them are not anticipated in the same way that no one expected Bradford to go to the Vikings. If you value Romo as a francise QB and think he can play out his contract (some will and some won't) then there will be more of a market for him than you think. I think it is probably moot though, because I think the Cowboys still view him as a franchise QB and better than Dak so they won't trade him anyway.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dez is the most overated player in the league nobody would wanna to trade for him...I seriously only give up 4th rder to get him.

I am all for trading Dez for the right compensation, but saying he is the most overrated player in the league is a pretty strong statement. lol

Sydla

Reaction score
Actually that is a pretty short sighted view. There are more factors that go into team roster decisions than that. I do agree with your general statement that it would appear that Cleveland would continue building its team through the draft rather than trade for an aging QB. So at first blush, most people would expect Cleveland to be excluded from the list of current teams who would be interested in taking on Romo.

Then again, the NFL is also a profit oriented business. The Cleveland fan base has to be totally sick of the Browns and their pathetic performance for many years now. Moreover they have existing players who are trying to escape in a mass exodus. They are not able to compete for free agents because of their situation even if they are willing to overpay to get them.

Them drafting a QB at #1 overall will not likely pay dividends for several years, if at all based on their past history. If Cleveland traded its first round pick to Dallas for its first round pick and Romo, they would have Romo elevate that team to a very competitive team (for a very favorable salary cap number), draft a QB with Dallas' late first round pick, and have that player locked up for 5 years on a very favorable salary cap number. In some sense Cleveland drafting high every year is a bit of a curse because of the cap implications of a pick that high.

There are a lot of different scenarios where Romo could find a home. Some of them are not anticipated in the same way that no one expected Bradford to go to the Vikings. If you value Romo as a francise QB and think he can play out his contract (some will and some won't) then there will be more of a market for him than you think. I think it is probably moot though, because I think the Cowboys still view him as a franchise QB and better than Dak so they won't trade him anyway.

There are a couple of issues here:

1) Romo doesn't make Cleveland very competitive. They have way too many holes that are going to take a couple of offseasons to fix before they could be considered competitive. So that's one big reason they would have no interest in Romo.

2) Romo's cap number would be $14MM next year based on his current deal. If the Browns take Watson or Kizer with their first pick next year, his cap number will be around $5-6MM. So for at least the few years Romo would play, no his cap number is not as favorable as if they took their next franchise QB in the draft.

3) Three, they've brought in baseball people to bring analytics into football. They've been about accumulating as many high picks as they can get. They aren't about to turn around and trade a high first round pick for an aging QB coming off two injury plagued years.

The Browns simply aren't in the position where taking Romo on would make sense.

In the end, this really isn't my overarching point. I think there is definitely a chance Romo could be traded. I do believe someone out there might take a chance on him. Where my issue comes in is the belief that he's uber valuable to the point where he's worth multiple first round picks and how there will be so many teams after him. I don't believe there is any chance in hell that's the case given his age and injury history.

So he might get moved but the compensation isn't going to be as high as you think. I'll put it another way. I like Romo but if someone came to the Cowboys and offered say a 2nd round pick for him and then maybe a conditional pick that could turn into another 2nd rounder.......... I'd think long and hard about taking that deal.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
There are a couple of issues here:

1) Romo doesn't make Cleveland very competitive. They have way too many holes that are going to take a couple of offseasons to fix before they could be considered competitive. So that's one big reason they would have no interest in Romo.

2) Romo's cap number would be $14MM next year based on his current deal. If the Browns take Watson or Kizer with their first pick next year, his cap number will be around $5-6MM. So for at least the few years Romo would play, no his cap number is not as favorable as if they took their next franchise QB in the draft.

3) Three, they've brought in baseball people to bring analytics into football. They've been about accumulating as many high picks as they can get. They aren't about to turn around and trade a high first round pick for an aging QB coming off two injury plagued years.

The Browns simply aren't in the position where taking Romo on would make sense.

In the end, this really isn't my overarching point. I think there is definitely a chance Romo could be traded. I do believe someone out there might take a chance on him. Where my issue comes in is the belief that he's uber valuable to the point where he's worth multiple first round picks and how there will be so many teams after him. I don't believe there is any chance in hell that's the case given his age and injury history.

So he might get moved but the compensation isn't going to be as high as you think. I'll put it another way. I like Romo but if someone came to the Cowboys and offered say a 2nd round pick for him and then maybe a conditional pick that could turn into another 2nd rounder.......... I'd think long and hard about taking that deal.
None of Romo's deal is guaranteed......it is a 3yr/54m deal but it could be re-done

If they gave him a 14m signing bonus they could lower his cap hit by 10m and he wouldn't lose a dollar....the last 2 years at 20m are place-holders or team options

Those teams I listed all would have serious interest...they all wouldn't cough up picks but some would......all it takes is one owner or GM and it's a bidding war

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There may be teams who need a QB who would not want Romo, but cap reasons would not be any sort of significant factor in deciding against Romo. Only 14 million, is way less than the going rate for a franchise QB.

It is, I agree. But in looking at the league, there are very few teams that would consider themselves that one player - especially a quarterback - away from being a contender.

Denver comes to mind, but then I'm not sure they have the cap room to do it. Maybe if they cut Ware?

Sydla

Reaction score
None of Romo's deal is guaranteed......it is a 3yr/54m deal but it could be re-done

If they gave him a 14m signing bonus they could lower his cap hit by 10m and he wouldn't lose a dollar....the last 2 years at 20m are place-holders or team options

Those teams I listed all would have serious interest...they all wouldn't cough up picks but some would......all it takes is one owner or GM and it's a bidding war

You overestimate the number of teams that would have interest in a QB that hasn't played only a handful of games in two seasons.

Further, just because there would be a bidding war, doesn't mean that's going to result in multiple first round picks or multiple high picks being the compensation. I think if you got one #1 pick and then later round picks, you'd be doing exceptionally well. If someone gave you the Vikings deal they gave up for Bradford, you should think long and hard about taking it.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Cleveland would have no interest.

Why in the world would they pay an aging QB $14MM next year to QB a team that they know isn't going to be very good and is in the middle of a rebuilding process? They wouldn't. Plus they could have two Top 15 picks in the first round next year and there is no chance given they have admitted they are in a total overhaul of the roster, that they would give up one or both to acquire a QB that might only play for a year or two longer.

As pointed out, some of your teams are a real stretch. Of the 12 teams on your list, maybe 3 would have real interest and zero would give up multiple picks, including maybe a couple of first rounders for him.
your opinion but it is way off

CLE just won in NBA and MLB...they have a taste for it and would love a QB like Romo......trading for him is the only way to get him..... franchise QBs, even with warts, are gold in the NFL......they instantly re-build a team into a playoff team

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It is, I agree. But in looking at the league, there are very few teams that would consider themselves that one player - especially a quarterback - away from being a contender.

Denver comes to mind, but then I'm not sure they have the cap room to do it. Maybe if they cut Ware?
all teams are one franchise QB away from being playoff teams or contenders...it is the single most important position in sports

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
You are not even on the same planet as reality if you think Romo is worthless.
Pretty sure I didn't say Romo is worthless. I am also 100% confident that there is no team in the NFL that will give use 3 1st round picks for Romo. I think that keeps me on earth and anyone who thinks the Cowboys can get anything close to 3 1st rounders as somewhere close to Mars,give or take a planet.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Bro...walk through it.

You have a sweet truck and you want to sell it. Let's think through it's value.

1. When purchased it was the best truck on the market and it's been awesome. It's 12 years old.
2. It's broken down a few times recently and been sitting in the garage as often as its been on the road.
3. You've had it repaired. It's running good now, though there are known issues that could recur anytime.
4. The bad boy has 194,000 miles on it and the mechanic says the engine might last 10-20k more. Maybe.
5. You refinanced the loan...twice... and still owe 5,500$ on it.

Suppose in its day it was the best Ford truck ever and served you well. What is the net value of the truck?
According to Verdict, you should be able to get 3 new Ford trucks.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yeah. If you can't buy another truck because they aren't selling them anymore, then your 12 year old truck is worth a **** load more than you think it is. Or think of it this way, if YOU are trying to buy a truck, but no one will sell you one and YOU have to have one, you are likely overpay for that 12 year old truck. See how that works? Suppy and demand. Economics 1113 my friend.