What a trade does to this team

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Romo is a top 5 QB. If he starts over Dak than so be it. If he becomes an over paid backup. Thats fine with me also.

I'm a big fan of Romo and I really hope that we make it to the Superbowl and give him a ring. That way he can at least retire in dignity and hand over the reigns fully to Dak.

All Cowboys fan should help out with marketing Romo. We need to make the case that he isn't broken and that he is worth at least a 1st round pick. I think he is worth more than that. That way some team might be willing to pull the trigger and trade for Romo giving us a high round pick.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He can't be traded this year.

In the offseason? His contract likely isn't much of a factor for his new team. I could see Chicago, Miami, SF, NYJ, Denver, Cleveland, etc. interested.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Here's a list of teams' current cap room. Outside of San Francisco, I can't see a team that would be able to or want to take on Romo's contract. The others are either rebuilding - like Cleveland - or committed to another quarterback.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo is only due 14m next year

WAS, CHI, LA, SF, ARI, BUF, NYJ, MIA, CLE, HOU, KC, DEN would all have interest

QBs of his quality don't hit the market very frequently....they move the dial because the can sell tickets and win games

Sorry, but that's an awful list, ripe with assumption and not researched. Full of reaches at best.

90% of that group either can't afford the contract or are committed to another player.

And Cleveland in particular is building in the complete and totally opposite direction, accumulating draft picks and saving money. The last thing they would do us to pay for a 36-year old QB on his last legs.

Reaction score
That is obviously not really the point of this thread, but that doesn't mean it isn't a valid school of thought. I can see the merit of holding on to every piece we currently have and trying to make the best case for winning it all this year. A trade which gives up current pieces doesn't help us win this year, but it might increase our chances of winning it all in subsequent years. On the other hand if you give up a piece this year (which would have been insurance only) probably doesn't decrease our chance of winning it this year too, barring injury of course. It is all a matter of risk, and hindsight is 20/20.

I do agree that McFadden or Dunbar looks like a piece that could be moved. No one really knows how McFadden is viewed by the Cowboys organization, or what the pecking order is regarding him vs. the remainder of the running backs outside of Elliott is, or how much difference they think separates the various backs.

Sorry, I was simply rejecting the original premise, gave my reasoning, and offered something more realistic,,, IMO of course. I'm curious as to the coaches current expectations. Are they open to the possibility that this team can go all the way?

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score
What are you talking about..

What team in its right mind would trade for a guy making $20 mil/yr with 3 years left on his deal and who can't stay on the field to save his life.

Please let's open a new Forum and call it Pie In the Sky Zone where we can put threads like this there.

Mods?

He isn't making $20 mil
He can't be traded this year.

In the offseason? His contract likely isn't much of a factor for his new team. I could see Chicago, Miami, SF, NYJ, Denver, Cleveland, etc. interested.

That is true. His contract is not an impediment at all to trading him to anyone. In fact his contract is beneficial. The team taking him takes on very little risk other than the compensation given up to acquire him. The cap implications are negligible for the receiving team interns of risk. His actual cap number for the acquiring team are below average for a franchise QB.

Verdict

Reaction score
Sorry, but that's an awful list, ripe with assumption and not researched. Full of reaches at best.

90% of that group either can't afford the contract or are committed to another player.

And Cleveland in particular is building in the complete and totally opposite direction, accumulating draft picks and saving money. The last thing they would do us to pay for a 36-year old QB on his last legs.

If they can't afford Romo then they can't afford a QB at all. Many posters are assuming the cap hit for us is the same as the acquiring team and that isn't remotely the case.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they can't afford Romo then they can't afford a QB at all. Many posters are assuming the cap hit for us is the same as the acquiring team and that isn't remotely the case.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo-2447/

I know it's 'only' $14 million in salary for the receiving team, but that's still a solid chunk of change and salary cap. And if the new team wants to keep him, it's essentially $20 million a year afterwards to do so..

But considering what teams have in cap space, and where they are in their building or rebuilding process, the list of teams who might be interested is exceedingly slim. And far fewer than those mentioned on that list.

marius

Reaction score
trade romo and dez, for dez we can get a 1st round pick, and for romo maybe a 2nd round pick, with that picks the cowboys can try to go up a get myles garrett next year, a real freak athlete, very fast and strong, and make the cowboys unstoppable in both sides, easily the cowboys can get another WR in free agency or draft. and get more cap in favor, they are winning with out dez.

Sydla

Reaction score
I believe there would be a dozen teams interested in Romo........a few would get into a bidding war and the return would be multiple picks..........the floor being a first

Dozen teams? LOL.

When you factor in his contract, his age, his injury history.............. there isn't going to be this large, active market for Romo.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree. Also people always post that Romo is 36 as if he has been starting (and taking a pounding) since he was 22. He didn't start until he was 26, so its not the same comparison as other QBs.

When you factor in his recent injury history, yes, it's the same comparison.

He's an old QB. How anyone can deny that at this point is bizarre to me.

Some team may want him. But this notion that there is going to be this massive bidding war and we are going to grab multiple high picks for him is wishful, homer thinking.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Dozen teams? LOL.

When you factor in his contract, his age, his injury history.............. there isn't going to be this large, active market for Romo.
Not at all..I agree.

No team is going o tie up their future cap for an aging injury prone QB.

They would wait until he is cut and sign Jim to a much lower deal..

then maybe he continues his career.

When Aikman had to retire with back injuries..

he explored other teams wanting him briefly then went into broadcasting.

No team would pay him what he could make in TV.

It will be the same for Romo.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The last 3 games he played he has left with a broken bone in his body.
3 of the last 4....close enough.

That's if you consider the re-break of the unhealed break a new break.....wait...what?:laugh:

Sydla

Reaction score
This zone is confused
Either Romo is a top tier QB that's worth everything or he's broken completely & not worth it

That's the prevalent theme

It's not confused at all.

Romo could very well still be a very good QB. But when it comes to trading him, there are factors that get thrown into the mix beyond just whether or not he's a good QB. Age. Injury history. Contract. Cap space of team acquiring him. Compensation to get him. Where a team is drafting in the next draft.

Would Romo help Cleveland? Sure. Does it make sense for Cleveland to hand over their Top 5 pick in the 2017 draft or maybe their Top 15 pick they will get from Philly for Romo? Not really. They are in a total rebuild now. What sense does it make for the Browns to take on $14MM in salary for an aging QB when the team around him would be still poor and not ready to win? It makes no sense.

nobody

Reaction score
Romo isn't going anywhere and will retire a Cowboy. Bank on it. His contract and his age make it pretty unlikely, Jerry will want him to retire a Cowboy, and he's said it himself that the Cowboys are his team and where he wants to finish things.

He might even have a no trade clause in the contract, but I wouldn't know.

Sydla

Reaction score
You are not even on the same planet as reality if you think Romo is worthless.

I don't think he said Romo is worthless.

He said saying Romo is worth three 1st round picks is ridiculous. And he's right. No team is giving up three first round picks for Romo. No one.