CFZ What About a Less-Talented Team with a Chip on their Shoulders?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
So, this team needs to find its identity, gel, become cohesive, and I think it generally has the experience and chemistry to do that and start the season out anywhere between 4-0 to 1-3, I'd suspect, with it being more likely we're something like 3-1, at that point, and in first place of the division, again.

We have lost some players with talent. But experience can help team tremendously, along with the the off-season, competition for positions training camp, all that stufff helps mold your team's identity going into the next season.

In some ways, I kind of like that. Like all of you, I haven't been as enamored by the team as I've been in previous years. Something about the Cowboys does feel like I'm being sold a bag of crap wrapped in gold.

Every.

Single.

Year.

And that's tiring.

And, then, the cycle repeats, and there's always next year.

By this time, nobody expects them to do anything.

"It's the Cowboys; they haven't won in almost 30 years" they'll say.

But we're due.

I like Kellen Moore, but I hope he's putting in some time this offseason looking where he went wrong. The schemes he was running on our lines against the 9ers, kind of hurt us.

We're weak up the middle as a team. I would like to see that addressed in the draft.

Aside from the soft spot in the middle, this team is actually pretty good.

Dakota Prescott included.

I personally would like to see him hitting the gym as much as possible, as well as the film room. That, and I would like to see him doing his own training regimen like Tom Brady. He's got all the talent; something has to click for him. He has to find that, whatever it is, and that usually comes from putting in the extra time.

In any case, given our history, what we need right now is a new identity moving forward so that we can control our own narrative moving forward, as champions once again.

The past cannot be rewritten.

But we can play with a chip on our shoulders and win when everyone else has written us off.

Sometimes, your team's mentality wins games.

See the beginnings of the Patriots dynasty.

I would like the Cowboys to take one step at a time before thinking about a dynasty.

But the atmosphere, something, has to change this year..

There needs to be a mindset, a chip on their shoulders.. etc.

bewp7

Reaction score
yes it could be a thing

but i do not trust mccarthy or kellen enough for it to matter

u can hav the biggest chip and it wont mean any thing when u get out coached and out schemed and outsmarted and out disciplined

Pass2Run

Reaction score
yes it could be a thing

but i do not trust mccarthy or kellen enough for it to matter

u can hav the biggest chip and it wont mean any thing when u get out coached and out schemed and outsmarted and out disciplined

Yeah, but, as much as I hate to say it, the biggest disciplinary problem out there, when it mattered, was Randy Gregory.

And he's gone.

I know it's a loss in talent.

But can the play of the player, and the stat line, not be replaced or achieved another way?

Not so.

We can still have success rushing the pass, just not with Randy Gregory.

I understand the draft is in a couple of days, so people are waiting, and hinging our year on how they like the draft. But usually, drafts take a while to really matter, outside of the first couple or so rounds, or few players each team picks up each year who make an impact.

We lost some talent, but I think it's possible to make up for the loss of talent by creating a new team atmosphere.

Get a team of guys psychologically-obsessed with winning.

Then tell them they can't win.

That's truly what this team has missed since Jimmy Johnson left.

And if you look at Belichick, he's like the great emulator. But chalk that aspect of his game up to Jimmy.

It works.

That's why we don't do it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That chip would likely disappear the first time they beat a team by three scores or more. Then the overconfidence would probably take over. What the team as a whole needs is someone like Ware to hang over them each week and keep their complacency in check.

What Dak needs is a sports psychologist, IMO.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There are some things that could potentially go right that could make the upcoming season better than last.

I don't know if this team picking up some sort of an edge out of nowhere is one of them.

Thats on the HC to instill, all while their wings are clipped by Jerry, and everyone knows it.

He is proud of that, so he refuses to realize what a problem it is.

I still hold out hope the kid doesn't have as big an ego. He can be cheap all wants if he brings in the right staff.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
That chip would likely disappear the first time they beat a team by three scores or more. Then the overconfidence would probably take over. What the team as a whole needs is someone like Ware to hang over them each week and keep their complacency in check.

Well, create a team where there are no rewards for winning.

It's expected.

No parties for a W.

That's what you were supposed to do.

The only time a win matters is in the championship.

And this team of bums hasn't made one in 30 years.

So, everyone knows you guys never will.

"You all suck too much!"

Over paid bunch of clowns...

I'm drafting a new quarterback.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
"What About a Less-Talented Team with a Chip on their Shoulders?"

Well, we are halfway there...

I hear you.

Trying to be a half-full guy here.

It's easy to get all cheesy and goofy after a regular season win.

But the vast majority of them, statistically, don't matter.

So, it's just people engaging in clownery during the time they could have been used preparing for a game that mattered.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well, create a team where there are no rewards for winning.

It's expected.

No parties for a W.

That's what you were supposed to do.

The only time a win matters is in the championship.

And this team of bums hasn't made one in 30 years.

So, everyone knows you guys never will.

"You all suck too much!"

Over paid bunch of clowns...

I'm drafting a new quarterback.
Move over, Tony Robbins!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What about a less talented team with a chip on their shoulders? That’s a different spin to try and make what appears to be a negative into a positive. lol My question is when has having a chip on their shoulders ever worked for the Cowboys? You would think what’s been going on the past 27 years would put a huge chip on their shoulders but they continue to go nowhere. We see the same issues year after year regardless of the coaching changes and roster moves. Nothing ever changes! Having a talented roster should work it certainly worked for the Rams this past season. Having a less talented roster isn’t going to make the Cowboys a better or more determined team.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What about a less talented team with a chip on their shoulders? That’s a different spin to try and make what appears to be a negative into a positive. lol My question is when has having a chip on their shoulders ever worked for the Cowboys? You would think what’s been going on the past 27 years would put a huge chip on their shoulders but they continue to go nowhere. We see the same issues year after year. Nothing ever changes! Having a talented roster should work it certainly worked for the Rams this past season. Having a less talented roster isn’t going to make the Cowboys a better or more determined team.
None of these players were on the team for the last 27 years. The chip for that should be on the shoulders of the FO. Unfortunately, it doesn't make them any better at their respective jobs.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Your hope rests almost solely on Micah. He appears to have the right mindset & his play forces all the teammates to acknowledge him. IF that mindset inspires others on this team to forget everything but winning, then you got a chance of getting that chip. Plus, we have gotten rid of some of the guys who don't embody that attitude ... so it's as good a chance as you'll get to change the attitude. k

Swagger

Reaction score

And David Carr to teach/coach him how to actually execute an accurate throw

he-is-bonafide

Reaction score
Talent + Desire + Availability + Skill/Craftsmanship + Strategy = Capability. The goal is to have the most capable team possible. So yes, there are plenty of other ways to win than having the biggest pile of raw talent.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
None of these players were on the team for the last 27 years.

Like I said we continue to see the same issues regardless of the roster. The roster has been turned over many times over the years and nothing changes. There’s a culture here with the Joneses that doesn’t breed success regardless of coaching changes and personnel moves.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

The same injury prescott came back from in under a year put Joe Theismann into retirement. I don't think there's anything wrong with his head. Rehabbing an entire offseason is much different than practicing being a QB. JMO.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So, this team needs to find its identity, gel, become cohesive, and I think it generally has the experience and chemistry to do that and start the season out anywhere between 4-0 to 1-3, I'd suspect, with it being more likely we're something like 3-1, at that point, and in first place of the division, again.

We have lost some players with talent. But experience can help team tremendously, along with the the off-season, competition for positions training camp, all that stufff helps mold your team's identity going into the next season.

In some ways, I kind of like that. Like all of you, I haven't been as enamored by the team as I've been in previous years. Something about the Cowboys does feel like I'm being sold a bag of crap wrapped in gold.

Every.

Single.

Year.

And that's tiring.

And, then, the cycle repeats, and there's always next year.

By this time, nobody expects them to do anything.

"It's the Cowboys; they haven't won in almost 30 years" they'll say.

But we're due.

I like Kellen Moore, but I hope he's putting in some time this offseason looking where he went wrong. The schemes he was running on our lines against the 9ers, kind of hurt us.

We're weak up the middle as a team. I would like to see that addressed in the draft.

Aside from the soft spot in the middle, this team is actually pretty good.

Dakota Prescott included.

I personally would like to see him hitting the gym as much as possible, as well as the film room. That, and I would like to see him doing his own training regimen like Tom Brady. He's got all the talent; something has to click for him. He has to find that, whatever it is, and that usually comes from putting in the extra time.

In any case, given our history, what we need right now is a new identity moving forward so that we can control our own narrative moving forward, as champions once again.

The past cannot be rewritten.

But we can play with a chip on our shoulders and win when everyone else has written us off.

Sometimes, your team's mentality wins games.

See the beginnings of the Patriots dynasty.

I would like the Cowboys to take one step at a time before thinking about a dynasty.

But the atmosphere, something, has to change this year..

There needs to be a mindset, a chip on their shoulders.. etc.
we have seen this before as well. its a cycle. I think we are in the 4th if not the 5th cycle of this....so nah, the chip on the shoulder doesn't work. the country club doesn't allow that.