What are some realistic ways to fix this team?

Cmac

Reaction score
And that's the thing. Our WR was made of paper machete, and everyone knew that. Dak didn't have anywhere to throw the ball. Zeke did get us yardage, but we barely used him despite the fact he was getting a lot of yardage on TB. It's perplexing that Jerry thought this WR group was sufficient going into this season.
......it's yard sale quality. An embarrasement to call that your starting group in Week 1.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Besides the obvious (hire a real GM), how would you fix this team going forward?

For me we need upgrades at these positions (in order):

1. QB

2. DT

3. RT

4. LG (im leaving Tyler at Tackle and forcing Tyron to retire)

5. CB2

Now the obvious issue with trying to upgrade those positions, is the stupid team-building philosophy adopted by dumb and dumber (drafting only). We wont be able to fix both lines in one offseason because they dont even try in free agency.

Id also change the Head Coach. Obviously, its damn near impossible for any coach to thrive here with the insane owner, but we need a new voice on offense. Kellen has to go, and as long as Fat Mike is here, so will he.
Prescott is here for another two years. Nothing can really be done about that. They cant trade him.

Id go another OT and WR. If you have to wait to replace Prescott, then give the next guy the tools he needs. If you want a young QB to succeed, give him two good OTs and competent WR's

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
......it's yard sale quality. An embarrasement to call that your starting group in Week 1.

I don't think it's even yard sale quality. It is a load of junk, this WR group is. And to think that Dak can just throw it to UDFAs and CD who drops a lot of passes is ridiculous. This is Jerry's fault, not Dak's.

Hadenough

Reaction score
And that's the thing. Our WR was made of paper machete, and everyone knew that. Dak didn't have anywhere to throw the ball. Zeke did get us yardage, but we barely used him despite the fact he was getting a lot of yardage on TB. It's perplexing that Jerry thought this WR group was sufficient going into this season.
I could see last year Lamb was no #1 because of the drops. Cooper wasn't the answer and lacked fire but he had talent. Why isn't Dallas relying on their running game considering it looked fairly decent to start the game and they just went away from it for periods of time.

Cmac

Reaction score
I don't think it's even yard sale quality. It is a load of junk, this WR group is. And to think that Dak can just throw it to UDFAs and CD who drops a lot of passes is ridiculous. This is Jerry's fault, not Dak's.
Agree.....may want to advise some others on this board. There's some masking of the problems. Next week it will be Zeke's fault because the 8 man fronts are coming, and the passing game and play calling will not get any better with this group. There's a reason some guys don't make a team or see playing action......except on this team.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dak plays a part in not having better WRs because of how much money he demanded. But yes Jerry has built this wooden boat that has sprung a leak.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
We can play this game every year and come up with great answers but as long as those two clowns are running the team it’s never going to matter. Since the two clowns will never do what will ultimately fix this team and that is step down and let real football people take over. Hire a coach and let him pick his staff and be the face of the franchise. Since that’s never going to happen we need to embrace the suck that is the Dallas Cowboys.

Swagger

Reaction score
In the modern game it starts with the QB. As many of us had previous highlighted, it was clear last night that Prescott was unable to fit the ball into tight windows against a good defense. Numerous occasions he had the time but was unable to execute. The o line got blown up on other occasions but that will happen against a strong D and Pollard was an embarrassment in pass protection which covers up how badly Prescott actually played.

LittleD

Reaction score
C'mon Homers, you know who you are. This steaming pile of excrement is well deserved and you should have seen this bus crash coming. Dak is just another symptom of the problem. No short term fix is going to be effective for this franchise for this year at least. Jerry should fire all of Fat Mike's offensive coaching staff including Fatty and move their DC into the position and let him run it for this year. You might as well tank this season because I doubt Dak will be able to throw before week 10 and we may not have a win by then. Now Homers..."How Bout Them cowboys".

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I could see last year Lamb was no #1 because of the drops. Cooper wasn't the answer and lacked fire but he had talent. Why isn't Dallas relying on their running game considering it looked fairly decent to start the game and they just went away from it for periods of time.

That's my biggest complaint. We were gashing the Bucs with Zeke. He was getting 4-5 yards per carry. Doing that and dink and dunk was working. It's what we had to do if we were going to win, with how pathetic or WR group was. Yet, we tried to call plays with WRs who can't handle those calls, and that hung Dak out to dry.

Reactions: CWR

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dak plays a part in not having better WRs because of how much money he demanded. But yes Jerry has built this wooden boat that has sprung a leak.

I think you can say that about any QB. Honestly, compared to other QBs, Dak's deal isn't all that bad, and Jerry knew he was going to have to do that at some point. So, again, that's not Dak's fault. This is Jerry's fault.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Agree.....may want to advise some others on this board. There's some masking of the problems. Next week it will be Zeke's fault because the 8 man fronts are coming, and the passing game and play calling will not get any better with this group. There's a reason some guys don't make a team or see playing action......except on this team.

Frankly, Jerry's probably delighted that a lot of fans seem to be shifting the blame to Dak, who didn't stand a chance with how poor our oline and WRs are,, and away from Jerry, who's the biggest problem with why we lost. Jerry built the roster. So, it's Jerry's fault.

raven55

Reaction score
the jones have screwed this team for the future so that is that, hamburger mike is a dud of a coach along with boy wonder, his offense is the same as last years and it sux's againist a team that's good or fair remember last year all the teams that were hurting is where our 40 mill qb got his stats. and then came san fran remember

losersgetcute

Reaction score
Because they still have Kellen Moore calling triple reverses that go backwards, there's a reason he wore a visor the whole time after college and somehow hung around long enough to be able to stop having to suit up with pads on. Lamb is actually a #1, but when the rest of the guys out there are total JAGs the good defenses end up committing 3 guys to cover him. It's not very complicated, Kellen wants to call what Kellen wants to call, and the gameplan was to check it down to Noah Brown the entire game. I've already started calling him "Checkdown" Noah Brown. What is peculiar to me is how committed to these UDFAs and 7th round guys they are, so much that they will bury their 5th round draft pick, with prototypical size and 4.37-4.43 in the 40, on the depth chart behind Houston and Brown, the 239th pick from 2017, second to last receiver taken that year, who are both possession receivers who run 4.5s on a good day. The WR depth chart should be Lamb, Fehoko, Turpin, and Tolbert until Gallup gets back into the mix, at which point Fehoko, Turpin, and Tolbert start to rotate in on downs where they aren't running 5 wide. But I am sure Moore hasn't even thought of this as a possibility. All week in practice he will probably have Rush working on that sweet sweet checkdown to Brown.

Last edited:

Ren

Reaction score
there really aren't any, we have a FO that thought going into this season with this rooster wasn't going to be a problem, they had plenty of opportunities to fill some of these holes and didn't, When your average fan seem to have more foresight than your GM for life there's not much you can do

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DT is much lower priority than getting a WR that can run routes.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Besides the obvious (hire a real GM), how would you fix this team going forward?

For me we need upgrades at these positions (in order):

1. QB

2. DT

3. RT

4. LG (im leaving Tyler at Tackle and forcing Tyron to retire)

5. CB2

Now the obvious issue with trying to upgrade those positions, is the stupid team-building philosophy adopted by dumb and dumber (drafting only). We wont be able to fix both lines in one offseason because they dont even try in free agency.

Id also change the Head Coach. Obviously, its damn near impossible for any coach to thrive here with the insane owner, but we need a new voice on offense. Kellen has to go, and as long as Fat Mike is here, so will he.
Yeah, it’s all those things. BUT- the real improvement this team needs is sitting in the owners box. This off-season was an actual textbook example of how to have a bad off-season.