What are your expectations of Dak's ceiling with us?

What are your expectations of Dak's ceiling with us?

• He'll never take us to the playoffs..

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care..

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Philmonroe

Reaction score
One of the bus driver options but can't pick both. His should be mentor Alex Smith got close to one being a starter so he might be able to do the same. That's why I won't rule it out completely but I definitely lean more towards he won't get us there because of his passing skills.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He has the potential if he can learn to go as far as he wants.

Jipper

Reaction score
Hate to say it but I don't really feel I can answer this until after year 4.....Dak was a 4th round pick for a reason and despite his 1st year success he is still a work in progress.....

He regressed last year but is improving this year and next year should be the breakout year where we see it all come together....most forget Romo had a few years to develop before being thrust into action where dak got dropped in...

And no this is not a dak excuse....mearly a pragmatic view....he needs time to develop plain and simple bc he was not a goff or wentz

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Hate to say it but I don't really feel I can answer this until after year 4.....Dak was a 4th round pick for a reason and despite his 1st year success he is still a work in progress.....

He regressed last year but is improving this year and next year should be the breakout year where we see it all come together....most forget Romo had a few years to develop before being thrust into action where dak got dropped in...

And no this is not a dak excuse....mearly a pragmatic view....he needs time to develop plain and simple bc he was not a goff or wentz
Gotcha. It's more of a what do you think vs what will he be.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He has the potential if he can learn to go as far as he wants.
I don't think this is true.

He has little arm talent and it's been a constant truism for quarterbacks since the dawn of the passing era...you can't teach accuracy. And on top of his lack of arm talent and lack of accuracy but he also processes information slowly and needs to see you wide open before he throws the ball. And sometimes he sees you wide open and still doesn't throw the ball.

Those hoping Dak can just learn his way into a better arm, accuracy and ability to feel guys coming open....well I have some Wyoming beach front property you'd enjoy.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Dak was a 4th round pick for a reason
Yes, perceived lack of upper echelon talent.

If, for instance, Dak had an NFL caliber arm he'd have bene a 2nd rounder minimum.

The other day we didn't go for a Hail Mary in an obvious situation...and I wonder if some of that is because of Dak's arm.

Jipper

Reaction score
Gotcha. It's more of a what do you think vs what will he be.

Hmm....i guess I think he can be the guy to get us there, has the potential to be a superbowl qb but that's only if he gets the right development which means coaching.....

If coaching doesn't improve he will likely end up as an Alex Smith type of player

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't answer from those choices.

My answer is wait and see. See how he does with all these must win games in front of him. Can he put the team on his shoulders and lead, or help lead them to wins.

However the coaches need to put him in situations where he can succeed as well.
See how his play is in these games.

Jipper

Reaction score

If, for instance, Dak had an NFL caliber arm he'd have bene a 2nd rounder minimum.

The other day we didn't go for a Hail Mary in an obvious situation...and I wonder if some of that is because of Dak's arm.

You could be right, and that means he's going to have to focus on developing and doing the little things right to make up for a lack of elite arm strength

kskboys

Reaction score

Not really true. Dak slid because he was very raw and needed a ton of coaching up. No one really knew what he was.

Dak's arm strength is easily NFL caliber. It's his accuracy and possible D reading ability that are in question.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score

What the devil is an NFL caliber arm? There have been plenty of QB's that couldn't toss it a mile that have won a SB and there have been plenty that could toss it a mile that have failed.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't think it was lack of confidence in his arm. It may have been the lesser of what could happen.
To set up that Hail Mary, it takes time to develop. WR's need to get downfield. So what if Dak is sacked, fumble. And the only way the play is successful is if there is a PI.
I don't think any QB could have thrown that far that quick to avoid a pass rush and get it to the end zone.

At the time I thought it was dumb not to try. But looking back, it was probably just as wise to do what they did.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I don't think it was lack of confidence in his arm. It may have been the lesser of what could happen.
To set up that Hail Mary, it takes time to develop. WR's need to get downfield. So what if Dak is sacked, fumble. And the only way the play is successful is if there is a PI.
I don't think any QB could have thrown that far that quick to avoid a pass rush and get it to the end zone.

At the time I thought it was dumb not to try. But looking back, it was probably just as wise to do what they did.
If you cannot execute a Hail Mary because you might fumble the ball away and give up a score against a 3 man rush....then you're not a QB i'm interested in investing in.