What are your expectations of Dak's ceiling with us?

What are your expectations of Dak's ceiling with us?

• He'll never take us to the playoffs..

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care..

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kevinicus

Reaction score
His ceiling is pretty damned low. He's almost at it right now. Of course the poll is extremely flawed from the start as it uses Team accomplishments for the most part for an individual player (not surprising - some people just don't get it).

Ken

Reaction score
Yes, perceived lack of upper echelon talent.

If, for instance, Dak had an NFL caliber arm he'd have bene a 2nd rounder minimum.

The other day we didn't go for a Hail Mary in an obvious situation...and I wonder if some of that is because of Dak's arm.
Wrong.

He has plenty of arm. We didn't throw a Hail mary because our coach is a wimp.

He threw a perfect hail mary pass 55-60 yards in the air earlier this year...

Kevinicus

Reaction score
For the life of me I cannot comprehend how this group got into their heads that Dak has a lack of arm strength. Hey, we know he struggles w/ accuracy and footwork and progressions, that's clear. So, why do they feel some strange need to lie about it? I seriously don't get it.

He has to wind up to throw deep/hard. He has trouble getting it down when he does put zip on it. Those are elements that go into what is considered good arm strength. And as someone else said, arm "talent" involves other things as well, including touch and placement.

He's not weak armed, but the issues with the wind up and throwing with zip on a line would lend to the idea his "arm strength" is not great.
Throw in the other aspects and his "arm talent" is not great.

kskboys

Reaction score
His ceiling is pretty damned low. He's almost at it right now. Of course the poll is extremely flawed from the start as it uses Team accomplishments for the most part for an individual player (not surprising - some people just don't get it).
While I'm still not sure about his ceiling, I agree w/ you completely about the poll.

kskboys

Reaction score
He has to wind up to throw deep/hard. He has trouble getting it down when he does put zip on it. Those are elements that go into what is considered good arm strength. And as someone else said, arm "talent" involves other things as well, including touch and placement.

He's not weak armed, but the issues with the wind up and throwing with zip on a line would lend to the idea his "arm strength" is not great.
Throw in the other aspects and his "arm talent" is not great.
Yes, arm talent is questionable. I'm not ready to give a conclusion, but he definitely has issues.

However, that post was specifically about arm strength. His arm strength is fine. My issue is w/ people claiming it's horrific, and it's not.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Yes, arm talent is questionable. I'm not ready to give a conclusion, but he definitely has issues.

However, that post was specifically about arm strength. His arm strength is fine. My issue is w/ people claiming it's horrific, and it's not.

But getting the ball down with zip is a part of "arm strength" and he is pretty awful at doing that.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Can't vote, your missing a in your face answer in not until we get a competent coaching staff/QB coach to help him.

Jipper

Reaction score
How many QBs once they hit the NFL go from below average to above average in the ability to be accurate and on time with the ball?

i honestly dont watch much college ball so could not give an answer, but Dak was very accurate his first year so he has the accuracy

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I don't think it was lack of confidence in his arm. It may have been the lesser of what could happen.
To set up that Hail Mary, it takes time to develop. WR's need to get downfield. So what if Dak is sacked, fumble. And the only way the play is successful is if there is a PI.
I don't think any QB could have thrown that far that quick to avoid a pass rush and get it to the end zone.

At the time I thought it was dumb not to try. But looking back, it was probably just as wise to do what they did.
Just like running 3 strainght times and taking the chance on your FG kickers foot... why, well easy we had lost our starting LT!!! Say what you want to, but that was a very sound decision by clapper and vanilla

kskboys

Reaction score
But getting the ball down with zip is a part of "arm strength" and he is pretty awful at doing that.
Hmmmmm....that doesn't seem to be what I've observed. The only time I see him have issues w/ arm strength is when he doesn't set his feet, or tries to throw on the run. He tends to use only his arm at times instead of stepping into the throw. What I'm seeing are mechanical issues due to poor footwork. There have been times when he's zipped the ball in, and it appears to me that it's happening more and more often, as his footwork appears to be improving.

Arm strength is almost entirely about throwing 20-40 yd outs and into tight windows. It has almost nothing to do w/ how far a guy can throw the ball.

I'm going to start watching even closer for "zip", because I agree w/ you that's what matters.

Reactions: QT

morasp

Reaction score
I expect him to return to his rookie year form and get the offense clicking. During the last game he told the announcers that his clock was just now getting back to normal since the Falcons game last year.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Hmmmmm....that doesn't seem to be what I've observed. The only time I see him have issues w/ arm strength is when he doesn't set his feet, or tries to throw on the run. He tends to use only his arm at times instead of stepping into the throw. What I'm seeing are mechanical issues due to poor footwork. There have been times when he's zipped the ball in, and it appears to me that it's happening more and more often, as his footwork appears to be improving.

Arm strength is almost entirely about throwing 20-40 yd outs and into tight windows. It has almost nothing to do w/ how far a guy can throw the ball.

I'm going to start watching even closer for "zip", because I agree w/ you that's what matters.

I agree, the bombs and hail mary's that others bring up are not relevant to arm strength.

But he does tend to sail passes towards the sideline (especially out breaking routes). But even those downfield more inside (like that INT that went off Austin's outstretched fingers) tend to go up.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just like running 3 strainght times and taking the chance on your FG kickers foot... why, well easy we had lost our starting LT!!! Say what you want to, but that was a very sound decision by clapper and vanilla

No.
So much difference.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don't think this is true.

He has little arm talent and it's been a constant truism for quarterbacks since the dawn of the passing era...you can't teach accuracy. And on top of his lack of arm talent and lack of accuracy but he also processes information slowly and needs to see you wide open before he throws the ball. And sometimes he sees you wide open and still doesn't throw the ball.

Those hoping Dak can just learn his way into a better arm, accuracy and ability to feel guys coming open....well I have some Wyoming beach front property you'd enjoy.
Ok he is no good and will never get us to the playoffs.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Ceilings are foolish talk created by sports pundits. The "ceiling" right now is what it has been and what it will be going forward, GETTING THE WIN. Its that simple. All the other talk means nothing. Winning solves everything.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Ceilings are foolish talk created by sports pundits. The "ceiling" right now is what it has been and what it will be going forward, GETTING THE WIN. Its that simple. All the other talk means nothing. Winning solves everything.

Yes, and there's no one way to win SBs, some people act like if you don't have a quarterback throw for 5,000 yards a SB is an impossibility...

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak is what Brad Johnson was for Tampa back in the day...and that's not a knock on the kid..just the truth. Dak is very capable under the right set of circumstances.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yes, and there's no one way to win SBs, some people act like if you don't have a quarterback throw for 5,000 yards a SB is an impossibility...
exactly. If the Joe Flacco's of the world, and the Trent Dilfers can get a Trophy, no reason Dak cant with the supporting cast he has...in spite of the owner,coaching.