What are your feelings about trading Zack Martin?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of all I preface this by saying I don’t even know it’s feasible. As for everyone that wants to complain at Dak’s 2024 cap hit currently at 59 million, Zack’s cap hit number comes in 2nd at 28.5 million for 2024.

Yes he’s been a good soldier and one of the most decorated Olineman in Cowboys history, but why not trade him while he still has value? His play is declining IMO and I’m just throwing it out there to get the boards thoughts.
Lol! Damn, some fans are desperate.

Sydla

Reaction score
For a pick and cap relief? He’s not the same Martin anymore and he’s now our 2nd highest paid player. Roll with the youth. Hoffman and Bass played really well in spot duty last season.
Well for starters, the cap relief if you want to trade him now is only like $4MM and you eat $23MM in dead cap money.

Two, thinking Bass and/or Hoffman can replace his production is quite a stretch. When everyone is saying we need to run the ball better and get more consistent on the OL then turn around and say trade Martin because Hoffman or Bass can fill in................. LOL

Aven8

Reaction score
Well for starters, the cap relief if you want to trade him now is only like $4MM and you eat $23MM in dead cap money.

Two, thinking Bass and/or Hoffman can replace his production is quite a stretch. When everyone is saying we need to run the ball better and get more consistent on the OL then turn around and say trade Martin because Hoffman or Bass can fill in................. LOL
That’s what I said in my OP, I wasn’t sure what it would be an if was even feasible.

Verdict

Reaction score
First of all I preface this by saying I don’t even know it’s feasible. As for everyone that wants to complain at Dak’s 2024 cap hit currently at 59 million, Zack’s cap hit number comes in 2nd at 28.5 million for 2024.

Yes he’s been a good soldier and one of the most decorated Olineman in Cowboys history, but why not trade him while he still has value? His play is declining IMO and I’m just throwing it out there to get the boards thoughts.
Everyone is digging on you, already, but if it’s feasible to trade Martin for a first round pick (or possibly even a second rounder —definitely for anything more than that) you do it. This OL is NOT anything exceptional. When Martin was out, the run blocking actually, as a unit was better.

You can’t pay everyone top dollar due to the cap. You can replace Martin with an acceptable substitute much easier than you can replace Micah or CeeDee. And you save the cap hit.

An OL can, as a unit, be more than the sum of its parts. We would be better off using the assets allocated to Martin for a really stud young center and replace Martin internally.

The same people who don’t want to see Martin go are the same people who ***** and whine why we haven’t won anything since 1995.

John813

Reaction score
Dallas will take a 24mil dead cap hit if traded early in the offseason.
The team acquiring him will have a 18mil cap hit to account for initially that is fully guaranteed.
The team acquiring him would also have to deal with Martin and re-signing him, 2025 UFA, or just view him as an one year rental and pay dirt cheap price to acquire him.

Dallas doesn't hold any cards when it comes to moving Martin.

To me, his contract was going to have to be extended again this offseason but not with void years to get any cap relief and not have the same song and dance next year. That is unless he wants to retire in a year or two and then the team will be in the Frederick position of a recent re-signing and restructure with an abrupt retirement and dead cap to deal with

MikeT22

Reaction score
Everyone is digging on you, already, but if it’s feasible to trade Martin for a first round pick (or possibly even a second rounder —definitely for anything more than that) you do it. This OL is NOT anything exceptional. When Martin was out, the run blocking actually, as a unit was better.

You can’t pay everyone top dollar due to the cap. You can replace Martin with an acceptable substitute much easier than you can replace Micah or CeeDee. And you save the cap hit.

An OL can, as a unit, be more than the sum of its parts. We would be better off using the assets allocated to Martin for a really stud young center and replace Martin internally.

The same people who don’t want to see Martin go are the same people who ***** and whine why we haven’t won anything since 1995.
The same people who think we’ll get a 1st or 2nd for a 10 yr OL are the same ones who think Belichick will come here as DC.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
No way bro. The 28 million dollar poster boy for underachievement isn't going anywhere. The Dallas Cowboys will have the highest paid guard in history to go along with the worst run game in history. He plays for this team for a max contract until he can no longer walk. That is the system. Never question the system.

You want to get younger, tougher, hungrier players in here on reasonable contracts to try to build a real team? No No No. You take 5 players, you anoint them as super stars, you pay them more than anyone in the league, you get crushed in the playoffs and you blame everyone else. This is the way.

John813

Reaction score
No way bro. The 28 million dollar poster boy for underachievement isn't going anywhere. The Dallas Cowboys will have the highest paid guard in history to go along with the worst run game in history. He plays for this team for a max contract until he can no longer walk. That is the system. Never question the system.

You want to get younger, tougher, hungrier players in here on reasonable contracts to try to build a real team? No No No. You take 5 players, you anoint them as super stars, you pay them more than anyone in the league, you get crushed in the playoffs and you blame everyone else. This is the way.
Dallas should of held it's ground last year when he was holding out.
Of course they think every year is the year and cave in.

Rayman70

Reaction score
the notion that many have that a guard is irreplaceable is dumb. Guards are one of the easiest to find...and develop. Yeah, I mean if we can extort premium picks for him, heck yes.

Aven8

Reaction score

I knew they would. I don’t mind ruffling feathers. I did it when it was time for Witten, and TO before him to go. I don’t have allegiances to any player except for Micah and Lamb currently. Everyone else is free game.

exciter

Reaction score

Ugh yeah, not sure its feasible to raise a player’s pay one year and trading him the next is remotely feasible!

MyFairLady

Reaction score
His base salary is 18 million dollars. We should be discussing whether or not we cut him, not trade him.

vlad

Reaction score

It’s certainly interesting. Is a $30m top guard a best use of allocation of capital? Did what the backups do provide you with enough confidence to take the risk? Is he part of any intellectual part of the king king Travis was that can’t be replaced.

All good questions - I’m sure you’ll get some insults for even bringing it up but it is interesting. Do you hold on to you aging stars or hold on

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
It might be a year early, but we're def at the point where we consider it for a crazy offer.