What are your feelings about trading Zack Martin?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Well for starters, the cap relief if you want to trade him now is only like $4MM and you eat $23MM in dead cap money.
I am sorry but this is such a short sighted way to look at things. I don't care that we have kicked the can down to road with this guy forever. His base salary is 18 million. We ween to be capable of objectively looking at a player and determining if they are worth it. We are so often caught in this trap it is pathetic.

Robster8989

Reaction score
Think we need to decide if we are in a rebuild or not first.
And IMO, Jerry signalled that we are "all in", whatever that means in Jerry speak.
I would support a rebuild, but let's be honest, that is not happening, so I believe the best option is to think of ways this team can improve, within the confines of our current constraints.

Zach will be restructured, freeing up some money.

Dak will either be extended long term, or at the very least will have a few void years added to free up some money.
If I was negotiating, I'd tell Dak no way are you getting 55-60. Mahomes makes 45 (and sorry Dak, you're no Mahomes). You were overpaid on the last contract, and I understand you can't take less for appearences sake, so I'll give you 45 APY on an extension.
Take it or give me a list of teams you'll accept a trade to.
But we all know Jerry will cave.

I completely disagree with this 'next man up sets the market" philosophy of NFL contracts. It really is an agent inspired theme.
But France will say "Herbert got this, Burrow got this, Lamar got this, so we want this as the cap has risen".
The Cowboys need to realize Dak has serious limitations. Sportrac has Cousins valued at 39, that is in the ballpark of what Dak should command. (One could even argue that as the face of the Cowboys he will earn 5-10 mil more in endorsements that a peer).
Still Dak (and France) can't take less than his previous deal, so to me 45 is a fair number given Jerry's decision to keep the team together. To me, for Dak to be making what Mahomes makes is honor to Dak (that he doesn;t deserve). The GOAT took way less his entire career because he understood that to win, one must make some sacrifices. Dak (and Todd France) need to learn this.
Sadly, we all know how this goes. Jerry will cave, Dak will get 55+ and we will lose in the first round again.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If you tired to trade this guy to a team with a real GM this is what would happen. The real GM would see that he is due 18 million in base salary next year. The real GM would go back and watch the playoff game and the end of the season. The real GM would call you back and politely as what draft picks he is getting for taking him off our hands.

Some people on here are so much like Jerry it is crazy. You fall in love with these players. You remember them pushing the other team around in 2016. You lose any sense of objectivity.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Not sure I’d move on as we don’t have the depth for it. If we lose Tron, Tyler B, we were gonna have to fill both LG/C or LT/C and I don’t think you go into the year with 3 new starters in the middle.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Idk if Zach at this stage in his career is the best linemen on the team. He is solid, but will just continue to decline imo.
Is he declining or is he having to help the two scrubs to his left and right too much?

Aven8

Reaction score
If you tired to trade this guy to a team with a real GM this is what would happen. The real GM would see that he is due 18 million in base salary next year. The real GM would go back and watch the playoff game and the end of the season. The real GM would call you back and politely as what draft picks he is getting for taking him off our hands.

Some people on here are so much like Jerry it is crazy. You fall in love with these players. You remember them pushing the other team around in 2016. You lose any sense of objectivity.
Nice post

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Is he declining or is he having to help the two scrubs to his left and right too much?
This is the Cowboy mantra. Not Daks fault he needs better players around him. No Martins fault he needs better players around him. Not Parsons fault he needs better players around him. Not Lawrences fault he needs better players around him. You are the highest paid players and the "stars" of the team. It is 100% their fault.

Robster8989

Reaction score

So true.
Still, I do think we have dome a solid job on vet players.
The only 2 older guys making big bank are Zack and Tank, and both are still playing at a very high level.
I'd certianly listen to offers, I just think given Jerry's statement it doesn't make sense to trade 2 veteran, high paid, yet still high performing players, so restructures are in order.
But I get what you're saying about an the way an objective GM would look at things.
Get a late first for Zach, and some cap relief, and time for Bass to step in. That's likely what a John Lynch would do
In the immortal words of Bob Sugar "it ain't show friends, it's show business", haha.

RS12

Reaction score
Lock HOFer. One of the best to ever play his position. Unfortunately wont get his just due from this fan base till he is gone.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Unless you can guarantee you replace him with some equal to or better than Martin, I skip the idea.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Not sure I’d move on as we don’t have the depth for it.
Another classic Cowboy mantra. How can we ever move on from a player. What is the replacement is even worse? Oh me oh my what will I ever do?

It can never get worse than the beat down we received by Green Bay. Our team would have quit before half time if they were given the option. It was as pathetic as it gets. Stop defending the players and stop worrying what we would do without them. That is what Jerry does. It is not good for the team.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Everyone is digging on you, already, but if it’s feasible to trade Martin for a first round pick (or possibly even a second rounder —definitely for anything more than that) you do it. This OL is NOT anything exceptional. When Martin was out, the run blocking actually, as a unit was better.

You can’t pay everyone top dollar due to the cap. You can replace Martin with an acceptable substitute much easier than you can replace Micah or CeeDee. And you save the cap hit.

An OL can, as a unit, be more than the sum of its parts. We would be better off using the assets allocated to Martin for a really stud young center and replace Martin internally.

The same people who don’t want to see Martin go are the same people who ***** and whine why we haven’t won anything since 1995.
"A first or second round pick" for a GUARD...a guard...that will turn 34 in the upcoming season. Who's making a ton of money. Teams RARELY even spend 1st round picks on 22 year old All American guards with their whole career still in front of them.

Another example of Dallas fans thinking other teams exist to help them out.

the BEST you could hope for, would be for a SB contender to sustain an injury right before the season, and then maybe, MAYBE they'd give you a 7th round pick knowing he'd play 1 season for them (probably injury riddled and shortened) and then be gone.

Reality is a beautiful thing people....embrace it.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I have been thinking about going back and rewatching the play off game lately. I have been avoiding it for obvious reasons. Martin is one of the players that I would pay close attention to. Was he winning his battles? Did he look like a hall of fame player? Maybe I will do that tonight and report back tomorrow.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
"A first or second round pick" for a GUARD...a guard...that will turn 34 in the upcoming season. Who's making a ton of money. Teams RARELY even spend 1st round picks on 22 year old All American guards with their whole career still in front of them.

Another example of Dallas fans thinking other teams exist to help them out.

the BEST you could hope for, would be for a SB contender to sustain an injury right before the season, and then maybe, MAYBE they'd give you a 7th round pick knowing he'd play 1 season for them (probably injury riddled and shortened) and then be gone.

Reality is a beautiful thing people....embrace it.
It is nice to know that I am not alone. I commend you for maintaining clarity in these confusing times.

Aven8

Reaction score
Lock HOFer. One of the best to ever play his position. Unfortunately wont get his just due from this fan base till he is gone.
No one ever doubted that. But typical Cowboys fans don’t really like change. They want to ride it out with the greats until they can’t play anymore. Instead of getting out early. See Jason Witten.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
First of all I preface this by saying I don’t even know it’s feasible. As for everyone that wants to complain at Dak’s 2024 cap hit currently at 59 million, Zack’s cap hit number comes in 2nd at 28.5 million for 2024.

Yes he’s been a good soldier and one of the most decorated Olineman in Cowboys history, but why not trade him while he still has value? His play is declining IMO and I’m just throwing it out there to get the boards thoughts.
I do not expect this to happen but should the Cowboys not resign Dak after this crossroad season then I am for trading Martin contingent he is down with it.

If he wants to stay during the rebuild, lead, and retire a Cowboy then I would want that too. No bad outcomes really.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
They want to ride it out with the greats until they can’t play anymore.
And this is cool as long as the greats delivered. Aikman, Smith, Irvin guys like that earned the right to play forever even if it meant dragging the team down. People complain about Smith YPC in his later years I say shove it buddy three super bowl rings say the man gets to do whatever he wants.

Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, very good players with periods of greatness who never ever accomplished anything in terms of team success. IMHO they have not earned the lifetime pass that comes with true greatness. They have not earned the right to drag the team down in the end.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Another classic Cowboy mantra. How can we ever move on from a player. What is the replacement is even worse? Oh me oh my what will I ever do?

It can never get worse than the beat down we received by Green Bay. Our team would have quit before half time if they were given the option. It was as pathetic as it gets. Stop defending the players and stop worrying what we would do without them. That is what Jerry does. It is not good for the team.

You completely ignore the rest of my post that gave my reason why. I have no issues moving on from said player. But replacing 3 holes on the line in a single season is my pause.

Nice way to draft a narrative by being absolutely dishonest about what I said.

Aven8

Reaction score
And this is cool as long as the greats delivered. Aikman, Smith, Irvin guys like that earned the right to play forever even if it meant dragging the team down. People complain about Smith YPC in his later years I say shove it buddy three super bowl rings say the man gets to do whatever he wants.

Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, very good players with periods of greatness who never ever accomplished anything in terms of team success. IMHO they have not earned the lifetime pass that comes with true greatness. They have not earned the right to drag the team down in the end.
When #22 had a bad season in the very last season with Zona he still rushed for almost 1,000 yards. Now that’s the standard of a good back. That dude was different. My favorite player of all time.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't see the sense for creating another hole and need after trading one of your still best OL guys.

Although I tend to think Martin made these ’23 All pro/pro bowl lists because of he’s been such a very long time popular back of jersey name.

It’s practically of a ‘ gimme’ .. much like Larry Allen in his declining years, still somehow making all star lists and bid.
Zack may not be playing at a HOF style level what he used to be at his current stage and age but he’s still easily one of the better, top OGs in the NFL. .

I also argue that if we replace Solari with a competent OL coach, Martin could be see a rebound year better in 24, than what he was in ’23.
But It’s already scaring me that could we likely return the very questionable same OL coach next year ?

No coach change movement yet has been made to rectify this ?