What are your feelings about trading Zack Martin?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d trade anyone for the right price
This is what I have said for years .. Every player should be available for the right offer.

I may not want to trade the player to another team, but if they offer multiple first round picks for any player, I would seriously consider it no matter who the player is.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Meh. I doubt we get the value needed to make the move. Parsons for #2 and a package of picks sounds awfully tempting though, if we're talking about trading all pro's.

Aven8

Reaction score
I don't see the sense for creating another hole and need after trading one of your still best OL guys.

Although I tend to think Martin made these ’23 All pro/pro bowl lists because of he’s been such a very long time popular back of jersey name.

It’s practically of a ‘ gimme’ .. much like Larry Allen in his declining years, still somehow making all star lists and bid.
Zack may not be playing at a HOF style level what he used to be at his current stage and age but he’s still easily one of the better, top OGs in the NFL. .

I also argue that if we replace Solari with a competent OL coach, Martin could be see a rebound year better in 24, than what he was in ’23.
But It’s already scaring me that could we likely return the very questionable same OL coach next year ?

No coach change movement yet has been made to rectify this ?
I wanted to actually start another Solari post but I did that at the end of the season. I just can’t believe they are not even considering changing……

Aven8

Reaction score
This is what I have said for years .. Every player should be available for the right offer.

I may not want to trade the player to another team, but if they offer multiple first round picks for any player, I would seriously consider it no matter who the player is.
And that’s what the Jones should be considering right now as we speak. They have three giant contracts that are due for the most expensive positions in football. If they aren’t finding ways to trim fat this thing might go down in flames.

Limited draft picks and tons of top heavy players, and lots of holes. Something has to give.

Sydla

Reaction score
That’s what I said in my OP, I wasn’t sure what it would be an if was even feasible.
It's not feasible from a contract perspective and it's not feasible from we need to get better in 2024 perspective.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
You completely ignore the rest of my post that gave my reason why. I have no issues moving on from said player. But replacing 3 holes on the line in a single season is my pause.

Nice way to draft a narrative by being absolutely dishonest about what I said.
Whatever. Tyron Smith has been gone for years and Tyler B is average at best. They should not have any influence on what is a real decision on how to move forward with the team. You don't have anything to worry about. No one is going anywhere and everyone will get all the money they want. It will be like the play off game never happened. We will crush the Giants on opening day and everyone will be happy again.

CWR

Reaction score
My feelings are there's not a single player on this team I wouldn't be open to trading. Of course there's a price.

Sydla

Reaction score
His base salary is 18 million dollars. We should be discussing whether or not we cut him, not trade him.
LOL.

You cut him you save zero as a June 1 cut and lose $13MM more in cap space if you cut him June 1.

You guys are a hoot.

Sydla

Reaction score
It’s certainly interesting. Is a $30m top guard a best use of allocation of capital? Did what the backups do provide you with enough confidence to take the risk? Is he part of any intellectual part of the king king Travis was that can’t be replaced.

All good questions - I’m sure you’ll get some insults for even bringing it up but it is interesting. Do you hold on to you aging stars or hold on
He won't be a $30MM cap hit.

He'll likely get restructured lowering his hit to around $15MM.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
LOL.

You cut him you save zero as a June 1 cut and lose $13MM more in cap space if you cut him June 1.

You guys are a hoot.
We like our guys. Run it back. Lets go all in. Good plan Jerry.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am sorry but this is such a short sighted way to look at things. I don't care that we have kicked the can down to road with this guy forever. His base salary is 18 million. We ween to be capable of objectively looking at a player and determining if they are worth it. We are so often caught in this trap it is pathetic.
Why do you care about his base salary? Are you paying it?

If you cut him, you don't save that base salary against the cap. You in fact save, at best, ZERO dollars against the cap and then essentially are paying more for the RG spot than if you had just kept Martin.

Sydla

Reaction score
We like our guys. Run it back. Lets go all in. Good plan Jerry.
Nah, it's simple math and a basic understanding of the cap.

But yes, cut Martin. Save zero against the cap (or worse, chew up $13 million in cap space this year). So essentially have your new left guard eat up nearly $30MM in cap space (or $43 million) PLUS whatever cap space that player takes up.

Sounds like a smart way to build a team.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The Packers just completely destroyed us with a 40 million dollar cap hit for a QB no longer on the team and an O line full of young hungry players. Basically everything this team is afraid of. Funny enough their only large cap hit on the O line is for Bakhtiari who was hurt last year and who is a major burden on the team next year to the tune of 40 million due to restructures. Any of this sound familiar? At least his base salary is only 10 million.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Why do you care about his base salary? Are you paying it?

If you cut him, you don't save that base salary against the cap. You in fact save, at best, ZERO dollars against the cap and then essentially are paying more for the RG spot than if you had just kept Martin.
Oooof it appears we have nothing more to discuss.

Sydla

Reaction score
Oooof it appears we have nothing more to discuss.
Cutting Martin would be financially idiotic.

Unless you are of the mind that we should just blow the entire thing up and start a serious rebuild. Then, sure, trimming big contracts for even good players may make sense.

But you and I know Jerry isn't thinking blow it up at this point.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of all I preface this by saying I don’t even know it’s feasible. As for everyone that wants to complain at Dak’s 2024 cap hit currently at 59 million, Zack’s cap hit number comes in 2nd at 28.5 million for 2024.

Yes he’s been a good soldier and one of the most decorated Olineman in Cowboys history, but why not trade him while he still has value? His play is declining IMO and I’m just throwing it out there to get the boards thoughts.
https://i.*******/eciz5hogqpp51.gif

Gambit

Reaction score
For a pick and cap relief? He’s not the same Martin anymore and he’s now our 2nd highest paid player. Roll with the youth. Hoffman and Bass played really well in spot duty last season.
Depends on pick. Creating a hole just to create a hole isn't always best.

Yes Bass likely can fill, but then you leave yourself thin in depth. Already likely to lose Biadasz and need to replace him

Gambit

Reaction score
Well for starters, the cap relief if you want to trade him now is only like $4MM and you eat $23MM in dead cap money.

Two, thinking Bass and/or Hoffman can replace his production is quite a stretch. When everyone is saying we need to run the ball better and get more consistent on the OL then turn around and say trade Martin because Hoffman or Bass can fill in................. LOL
Ahh but think about the possibilities of a JPJ, Christian Jones (T) and Beebe at Guard.