What are your feelings about trading Zack Martin?

jgboys1

Reaction score
I am fine with it.
Its not like we are going to go anywhere anytime soon.
If I were Jerry, there would not be a player who is not tradeable on this roster.
If some teams feel they are close and and are willing to give up something good for any of our players, I would definitely listen to any offers.
We know Jerry gets emotional attached to his players so expect pretty much the same players next season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
First of all I preface this by saying I don’t even know it’s feasible. As for everyone that wants to complain at Dak’s 2024 cap hit currently at 59 million, Zack’s cap hit number comes in 2nd at 28.5 million for 2024.

Yes he’s been a good soldier and one of the most decorated Olineman in Cowboys history, but why not trade him while he still has value? His play is declining IMO and I’m just throwing it out there to get the boards thoughts.
I'm for restructuring his contract. I mean, we haven't made an NFC Championship Game in forever, so I'm good with trying something (anything) to change that, but just getting rid of players because they are expensive isn't really a solution.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Trade him. He deserves to have a shot at a championship, he won't get that here with our current QB, so why not. Trade him, Lamb and Parsons. They all deserve better than they are getting from this team.

bigE79

Reaction score
First of all I preface this by saying I don’t even know it’s feasible. As for everyone that wants to complain at Dak’s 2024 cap hit currently at 59 million, Zack’s cap hit number comes in 2nd at 28.5 million for 2024.

Yes he’s been a good soldier and one of the most decorated Olineman in Cowboys history, but why not trade him while he still has value? His play is declining IMO and I’m just throwing it out there to get the boards thoughts.
Every player is replaceable,id trade anyone for the right price,jmo

ksadler1

Reaction score

It depends on what you could get. But l don't think anyone should be un-tradeable, especially the way this team has underperformed in big games and in the playoffs.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Martin will retire soon. I doubt he wants to move to play somewhere else. He would just retire.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He’s pushing 34 and he’s more valuable to us than what we would get for him in a trade. With the injuries we’ve had on the OL we can’t afford to trade him, especially considering Tyron is nearing the end.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Idk if Zach at this stage in his career is the best linemen on the team. He is solid, but will just continue to decline imo.
Look I don't know if I agree with that I think it's pretty close between tyron and Tyler Smith and Zach I mean you look at tyrion even if he's been off the field for some injuries his grades are ridiculously high for when he's actually playing same with Tyler... So I saw Martin slip this year enough to be those three guys are all about on the same level with Tyler Smith being the one who's got all the upside because of his age and it's cheap contract...

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Why do you care about his base salary? Are you paying it?

If you cut him, you don't save that base salary against the cap. You in fact save, at best, ZERO dollars against the cap and then essentially are paying more for the RG spot than if you had just kept Martin.
And creating another hole. Dude wants to replace 3 guys on the line in 1 season. But I read all his replies he has something against Martin which is distorting any common sense.

Havic

Reaction score
Look I don't know if I agree with that I think it's pretty close between tyron and Tyler Smith and Zach I mean you look at tyrion even if he's been off the field for some injuries his grades are ridiculously high for when he's actually playing same with Tyler... So I saw Martin slip this year enough to be those three guys are all about on the same level with Tyler Smith being the one who's got all the upside because of his age and it's cheap contract...

Yea that’s why if someone offered me a 2nd for Martin, I wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger, especially in this deep OL class

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yea that’s why if someone offered me a 2nd for Martin, I wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger, especially in this deep OL class
well, that said,

i wish he wouldn't have demanded that extension that cost us so much . but i don't think i would trade him but a 2nd rounder , i might., would someone do that? typically from what i understand trading a player in their first year of their extension could be too costly ie too much dead cap involved early.., if you aren't saving 10mil aav then trade is not worth it,.

most likely TB at C is being replaced, might not want 2 new bodies there.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
And creating another hole. Dude wants to replace 3 guys on the line in 1 season. But I read all his replies he has something against Martin which is distorting any common sense.
I am tired of being held hostage by all of our top players. We are at a point where 32 year old guards hold out in training camp unless they are the highest paid in the league. Then we get embarrassed by Green Bay in the playoffs and nothing happens. No one is held accountable. We kick the can down the road and run it back because there are no other options. It is complete madness.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I am tired of being held hostage by all of our top players. We are at a point where 32 year old guards hold out in training camp unless they are the highest paid in the league. Then we get embarrassed by Green Bay in the playoffs and nothing happens. No one is held accountable. We kick the can down the road and run it back because there are no other options. It is complete madness.

If you can save money and have an option great! Nobody is saying don’t trade, but if you’re just gonna give 13 million away might as well not create another hole until next year when it’s feasible. Sometimes what you want to do doesn’t always jive with what you can do. If there is no gain in doing it now there’s no reason to do it, and you’re just being stubborn to be stubborn.

Sydla

Reaction score

Yeah, so the way to hold this team accountable for the embarrassment a few weeks ago is to punish the 32 year old OG who was an all pro last year and one of your team's better and most consistent players?

The time to hold anyone accountable that would have actually mattered post GB has come and gone. Jerry's doubled down on the OC/HC. The QB is sticking around. He would have brought back the DC if he didn't get a head gig.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you can save money and have an option great! Nobody is saying don’t trade, but if you’re just gonna give 13 million away might as well not create another hole until next year when it’s feasible. Sometimes what you want to do doesn’t always jive with what you can do. If there is no gain in doing it now there’s no reason to do it, and you’re just being stubborn to be stubborn.
Yes.

If some team calls you tomorrow and says, hey, we need a RG badly and are going to give you this year's first and second round pick, you think long and hard about that and likely make the trade.

But you don't just cut or trade Martin because you are being emotional about how the season ended and what you want is blood from your all pro RG because, oh no, he held out last year, got more money and still went out and played at a high level. It's kind of bizarre.

Shoot, if there was actually a pretty nice cap savings to cutting him or trading him right now, you'd probably be wise to at least explore that. But there is none in terms of cap savings other than a post June 1 trade.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
IMHO if the best you can do with 18 million is a 33 year old guard who is past his prime then I guess none of this really matters.