What Are Your Thoughts About The Draft

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Jerry offered the 2nd and 3rd. It wasn't enough.

Based on what Peter King has written, Jerry offered the second and third up to a certain pick. For the Seattle pick, Dallas offered a second and fourth and were outbid by Denver. Jerry seems to have regretted not making it a second and third, although I'm glad that he didn't.

If trades had worked out (with Baltimore and Seattle), our draft might have looked like this:

1st round (6th pick) — Georgia DE Leonard Floyd (was trying to get Baltimore's third; the Ravens offered fourth)

1st round (26th pick) — Memphis QB Paxton Lynch (would have traded our second and Baltimore's third and maybe a sixth, which would have trumped Denver's offer)

I'm assuming based on King's article that we would have attempted to trade back into the second round with our third- and fourth-round picks to take Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith, but don't know if we would have beaten New England to the punch.

So with trades, we might have had Floyd (Elliott if he had made it to 6), Lynch and Smith.

Last edited:

jjktkk

Reaction score
Agree. Only thing I would have done differently is picked Kenny Lawler instead of Rico in the 6th. They tried to trade up twice for QB's and it didn't work out, but they still drafted one that was very successful in college and has some skills that can be developed.

I'm a ND fan, so I love the Smith pick. Just hope he can come back. But I'm sure that they have more info. on that than just from Dr. Cooper, especially if the Pats were going to pick him in round 2.

I actually like the Smith pick as well, but understand the criticism of Jerry taking gambles and using high draft picks on players with injury issues: ex., Lee, Carter, and now Smith. It's warranted. Jerry will always try and 'swing for the fences' in regards to trying to land a big time talent. It's the gambler in him.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I actually like the Smith pick as well, but understand the criticism of Jerry taking gambles and using high draft picks on players with injury issues: ex., Lee, Carter, and now Smith. It's warranted. Jerry will always try and 'swing for the fences' in regards to trying to land a big time talent. It's the gambler in him.

So very true.

jjktkk

Reaction score
So the first and second Rd picks were 'questionable' but this was a solid draft? Maybe next year we should just start from Rd 3?

Nobody was a cleaner pick at 4 than Elliot. Every other prospect slated to go around 4, Bosa, Ramsey, even the two QBs, Goff, and Wentz had question marks. You can question Elliot being taken too high at 4, but you can't legitimately question Elliot's talent. As far as taking Smith at 34, sure you can definitely criticize taking a player with that serious of an injury at 34, especially given Dallas's other needs. The rest of the draft had Dallas drafting solid prospects that were taken where they were slated to go.

Lol, you wouldn't criticize jerry if he gave away the entire draft.

On the contrary, I went off on Jerry just the other day here for not getting his guy Lynch. Look it up. The difference between me and you though, is I will give credit where credit is due regarding Jerry, while you wouldn't give Jerry credit, even if someone pinned your arm behind your back and made you say Uncle. You have some solid takes on here, but it's hard to find you credible in your takes, do to your Jerry hate. But you can definitely be entertaining with your "get off my lawn" style of posting.

RamziD

Reaction score
This
Good NFL teams don't draft this way
Even the Zeke pick is questionable. Players like Perkins, Dixon and Booker picked in rds 3-4 May have better pro careers
And there were starters on the board at 34 where we picked an absolute prayer

Really really weak drafting

Oh, man. I think most people would take you up on a bet re: which RB has the best career.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Mine:

- We got better defensively. Just maybe not this year so much. Collins and Tapper are good peices to our defensive line. Tapper could be our LDE in 2017. Lets just hope DLaw suspension was a 1 time deal

- We regain our 2014 offensive identity. Zeke, Romo and Bryant allow us to dictate the tempo of the game to the defense. I believe this makes us NFCE favorites.

- Prescott means almost nothing in terms of the search for a QB of the future. They made a big effort to land Lynch and came up short. And Cook was apparently the target in the 4th. The QB search did not fall there way this year, and I give them credit for both 1) Making a push for the guy they wanted ( Lynch) 2) Not giving up the 2017 first to get him, which not having a 5th year option to offer was likely going to be what it took to get Lynch. Prescott is a long term backup they probably hope can sub for a starter if he gets hurt. I think he is going to have to be utter gangbusters for them to call off the QB search

- The DBs are intriguing, but we did kick that can down the line. IMO it was they way to go. Build the front 4 then move to the back end

- Maybe a lazy comparison, but I see a little Karlos Williams in Darius Jackson

It proved once again that the Cowboys dont know what they are doing.

visionary

Reaction score
Oh, man. I think most people would take you up on a bet re: which RB has the best career.

I would recommend you read up on 2 concepts

1. Opportunity cost
2. Incremental value

Then evaluate the Zeke pick in the context of our OL, RBs already on the roster, and our defensive problems

Then let's talk

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Out comes the number one Jerry apologist

Nope ...... hate that fool and will be glad when he is gone.

When he started fondling teenage girls on camera I was done with the old pos.

Does not change what you are though.

ccb04

Reaction score
Zeke: liked the pick as I loved the 2014 formula...and Zeke was a complete bell-cow back at OSU.

Smith: as an Irish fan...couldn't help but like the pick. No doubt there's risk & I can see why some didn't like it. Definitely a gamble, but like the potential pay off.

Collins: he was among those I liked in the mid-rounds & can see the scheme fit.

Tapper: wasn't crazy about this crop of edge rushers and had no issue waiting a bit & taking a guy with quality size & excellent athleticism...the team also believes he has the traits to be a RDE in the scheme. Last year I wanted them to sign Jabaal Sheard & draft Danielle Hunter.

Prescott: if waiting to take a QB...Prescott was among the few I somewhat liked. Not sure I would've given up significant picks for any QB in this draft, though I can applaud the effort in trying to secure the future, and did like certain attributes of each of the upper-tier guys. I think Dak has some traits to work with. He improved each year as a passer, and as a Senior he completed 66.2% of his passes with 29 TD's vs. 5 Int's. Perhaps most impressive in terms of his progression as a passer: he completed 61% of his passes on 3rd & long, and completed 62.7% of his passes in the red zone. He threw 118 passes in those situations (3rd & long and in the red zone), with no interceptions.

Brown: also wasn't crazy about this crop of CB's overall despite the need...so again didn't have a problem with waiting to take a guy with decent size and excellent speed. He also seemingly improved each season while playing in a power five conference. He led Purdue with 10 passes defensed in 2014, and led the team with 4 Int's in 2015 while again adding 10 passes defensed. Played man & zone. Started 34 games.

Frazier: while quite a few of us were hoping to land Joseph...Frazier was among other safeties I liked (him being one in the later rounds). Potential to be a solid in the box guy while possibly offering at least a bit more in coverage than the slower/aging Church.

Jackson: a bit perplexing given their 1st round pick, signing Morris, resigning Dunbar, etc. But he definitely offers a fantastic combination of size and athleticism...and was productive in 2015. Special teams potential.

Gathers: can certainly see the intrigue given his size & athleticism. Thought he was worth a shot...particularly where he was taken.

visionary

Reaction score
Nope ...... hate that fool and will be glad when he is gone.

When he started fondling teenage girls on camera I was done with the old pos.

Does not change what you are though.

Jerry apologist #1

Some of us remember those days when you would come around with your 'holier than thou' ("real fan" "troll slayer") rubbish

I can see the skid marks from here
So please spare us

I'm still the same as I was and tell it like it is

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Loved our first pick and didn't like our second pick because drafting injured players never works out for us. Have no comment about the rest of the players other than the positions we picked made sense except for the RB in the 6th round. Like with all drafts only time will tell but Zeke will be a difference maker barring injury.

Angus

Reaction score
I dont know much about most of the players other than what ive read because i do t watch college football, but this draft proves that Jerry meant what he said about romo's window lasting a few years. Seems like they feel good about it though, so we'll see.

Ill jump on board with the elliott pick because what choice do i have? Im sure ill come back around to hating it a few years down the road if he doesnt become an elite rb or if he does, when his price tag blows up. I dont want to be putting 6-9 million into a rb, which is why id rather wait and grab a guy later and be comfortable walking away in 4 years.

I sometimes become impatient with folks who can't see that the selection of Elliott was about keeping Romo healthy. There are probably many running backs who could run well behind the Dallas offensive line and help reduce the number of passes he needs to make but there are none as well equipped as Zeke to protect him in the pocket. Elliot devoted himself to becoming the best blocking back in the nation and succeeded. Keeping Romo upright is the most valuable thing he can do for the team, even more valuable than all the many touchdowns he will score.

Coachmac87

Reaction score
My 2 cents on Dallas Cowboys draft

1) Cowboys think they're closer to 12-4 then 4-12. Drafting Zeke #4 a complete back who doesn't come off the field..kinda like Demarco Murray. Get your identity back and not only dominate and control the clock running the ball but also score (McFadden 3TD).

2) Follow the $/Draft Picks. Cowboys have $ tied up in the D-Line(Crawford, Thornton) and high draft picks in (Gregory, Lawrence). You look at LB's they got $ tied to Lee and McClain and are high on Hitchens. DBs they got $ tied to Carr, Scandrick, Mo and Church and Jones was a 1st rd pick. Jerry wants return on investment. Doesn't need those players tied to $ or picks to be back ups and reserves. Where's the least amount $$ at? RB. McFadden or Morris can be cut tomorrow without any ramifications towards the cap.

And also..Two years ago Cowboys had the worst defense in franchise history. What did they do with their first pick? Drafted Zack Martin..who was an All-Pro his rookie year and helped the Cowboys solidify the best rushing attack in franchise history..

If Romo and Dez stay healthy we will compete for the Division.

End of Rant..

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
My 2 cents on Dallas Cowboys draft

1) Cowboys think they're closer to 12-4 then 4-12. Drafting Zeke #4 a complete back who doesn't come off the field..kinda like Demarco Murray. Get your identity back and not only dominate and control the clock running the ball but also score (McFadden 3TD).

2) Follow the $/Draft Picks. Cowboys have $ tied up in the D-Line(Crawford, Thornton) and high draft picks in (Gregory, Lawrence). You look at LB's they got $ tied to Lee and McClain and are high on Hitchens. DBs they got $ tied to Carr, Scandrick, Mo and Church and Jones was a 1st rd pick. Jerry wants return on investment. Doesn't need those players tied to $ or picks to be back ups and reserves. Where's the least amount $$ at? RB. McFadden or Morris can be cut tomorrow without any ramifications towards the cap.

And also..Two years ago Cowboys had the worst defense in franchise history. What did they do with their first pick? Drafted Zack Martin..who was an All-Pro his rookie year and helped the Cowboys solidify the best rushing attack in franchise history..

If Romo and Dez stay healthy we will compete for the Division.

End of Rant..

This ...... great post

Verdict

Reaction score
I think Tapper will outplay Gregory in the long run, and its not a stretch to say he will outperform him in the short run as well. Gregory is a liability against the run.

I think Tapper will be solid against the run and flash periodically as a pass rusher early.

garyv

Reaction score
My thoughts are its solid but I wanted another WR to replace Terrance Williams across from Dez.

garyv

Reaction score
This
Good NFL teams don't draft this way
Even the Zeke pick is questionable. Players like Perkins, Dixon and Booker picked in rds 3-4 May have better pro careers
And there were starters on the board at 34 where we picked an absolute prayer

Really really weak drafting

I have followed the Drafts since mid 70's and do my own every year and honestly I disagree totally with you
on this Draft. Zeke Elliott was the player that makes the most difference for this football team next season
and the following 5 seasons. Jaylon Smith I put my trust that the team and the Doctors have a pretty good
feeling he will return to form. I like the Malik and Tapper picks in the 3rd and 4th Rounds especially the
Tapper pick he will turn out to be a steal. Dak Prescott not a bad QB project the talent is all there and a
very similar player to Russell Wilson with a better arm just needs to work on dropping back in the pocket.
I think hes 3rd on the Depth Chart at QB next season a #2 backup is still to come. Late in the Draft they
are taking players that might compete for a Roster Spot as most teams do. Anthony Brown was a solid
pick and so was Keith Frazier and Darius Jackson I think makes this team so lookout McFadden and he
might even be a Punt and Kickoff Returner we don't know other than hes got nice speed. I think many
who complain about the Draft are simply the ones that didn't want Zeke in the first round but you know
what I say "oh well" they made the right choice.