What Are Your Thoughts About The Draft

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
A little too conservative.

I do think Jerry should've overpaid for Lynch even if it meant giving away their 2nd and 3rd. Then they could've spent the rest of the draft on improving the pass rush (Judon and Blair were my pet cats.) Maybe getting Day instead of Maliek.

I love the Zeke pick but the only way this draft can be considered an A is if Jaylon Smith has a full recovery. And that's a BIG if.

Jerry offered the 2nd and 3rd. It wasn't enough.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
I'm a pretty big ND fan, so I was really torn when we drafted him in the 2nd. Part of me was really excited we got him, because I feel he'll recover and be a great player for us. Another part was surprised, and questioned why we would spend another 2nd round pick on a guy who will likely end up redshirting.

Otherwise, I was happy with the draft. We addressed several needs with quality players, many of whom were ranked ahead of where we took them, so we didn't reach. I wish we would have taken a WR somewhere in the early rounds, but there always seems to be that one position we don't address, and later wish we did.

I LOVE the EE pick. I know 4 is awfully high these days for a RB, but I absolutely love the guy. I think he's the best RB we've had since Emmitt. Not saying he'll be another 22, but he gives us so much, especially behind that OL. I just think he'll have a bigger impact than anyone else we could've taken there.

I like how we went with speed. This team overall is too slow in too many spots. Guys like Brown, Jackson, Tapper, etc. can all run very well.

visionary

Reaction score
Well anything "may" happen, but I would wager that barring injury Zeke will have the best pro career of those mentioned.

He does everything well and has the right attitude as well.

I agree with the Smith pick but reading his medical reports he might not be quite the gamble we first imagined.

As for the pass rush, who in this draft class that we could have picked is going to give us 10+ sacks in his first year?

10+ sacks is a strawman you set up to make yourself feel better

There were players at 34 like Spence, Reed, Robinson and others who would have started for this team

The rest I already said in my previous post

This draft reflects the mindset of this team and FO that 2016 season will be a wash with Romo and Dez recovering from injury/surgery. It also reflects their thinking that Romo will play for 4-5 years. They are already looking to 2017.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Rd.1 Zeke was not only the best impact player Offensively, he was the most Romo Friendly in the entire Draft.

Rd.2 If healthy LB Jaylon Smith was the consensus #1 impact player Defensively on the board across the Nation.

Rd. 3 Next up the DL, addresses with a DT in the best DT Draft ever in the History of the league.

Rd.4 DE had to be looked at with the suspensions and loss of Greg Hardy. CHECKS IN THE MAIL! Tapper best SPARQ Rusher at the Combine.

Comp Rd. 4 The Dak pick is a god forbid scenario.

Rd. 6 Represented Value, projected earlier CB Anthony Brown adds speed for the need and a young DB when contracts run dry next offseason.

Comp Rd. 6 Strong Safety Athletic, loves contact, Cowboys Fan, Depth pick of need with Heath and Church

Comp Rd. 6 TE Rico Gathers 6ft8, 275 super athletic Baylor/Basketball guy, Witten can't go forever, OT potential?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
My feelings are that this draft is going to hurt us for a long time.

The better organizations obviously win more often than not. But, when they find themselves in a down year and have a high position in the draft, they take great advantage of the draft and I don't believe we did that. This class may have a few players that turn out decent enough, but when we find ourselves stuck at 8-8 or who knows what when Romo is done for, it will be the fact that we didn't take advantage of this draft position that hurt us.

My feeling on Zeke is that he's a nice player, but not an outstanding prospect. In golf terms, he reminds me of Steve Stricker, the guy that does everything nicely and is well coached, but not this dynamic athlete. At #4 overall with the RB position you want an Adrian Peterson type who in golf terms would be like a Rory McIlroy or Jason Day...a special athlete that can produce big numbers. There are a few issues with taking RB at #4. For starters, it's an injury prone positiion that depreciates in value quite rapidly as the player gets older compared to other positions. Secondly, highly productive RB's have been found much later in the draft. Case in point, Rawls was a UDFA and lit it up last year.

I don't like the fact that Zeke is a Big-10 RB who played for a powerhouse team in an Urban Meyer system where the QB is a threat to keep the ball and run with it himself in a Big 10 conference that was down this year. Nice player, but at #4 he better be producing more at the 1,500 yards/10 TD's range. Awful lot to ask from your tailback.

And on SiriusXM they were talking about how the Ravens were interested in Ramsey or Stanley, NOT Zeke in the trade-up. The Ravens actually wanted Tunsil according to reports, but the entire fiasco with him changed things and they wanted to make sure they got Ramsey or Stanley. So either Jerry is lying to us to make us feel better or Ozzie Newsome lied to him. I'll take the former.

I liked Jaylon Smith, but I have zero confidence that our medical staff can make the right prognosis. And we're not talking about some ACL injury like Lee had, we are talking about nerve damage. I don't think we really tried that hard to get Paxton Lynch as Jerry claimed as they were intent on taking Dak Prescott. Believe me, if Jerry really wanted Paxton Lynch...we would have gotten him.

And therein lies the problem...I don't think we are going to get the chance to get players at the caliber of ability and potential like Ramsey and Lynch again for a few years at those positions while I think we could have gotten comparable talents at RB to Zeke.

I did like the Collins pick. I think he was a first round talent after 2014, but a new coaching staff at Nebraska caused him to drop. Explosive off the snap, hustles. It gives us a lot of depth at DT, although we'll probably move Crawford to DE because of the 2 idiots at DE being suspended.

When I look at teams, I look to see how they are at both safety positions, the MIKE, center and QB. If you're good at those positions, you're going to be a tough team to beat. Those positions ask for so many things that it requires not only physical ability, but smarts as well. Right now, if healthy I feel confident in Romo and Fred, but McClain stinks and our best bet is to go with Byron and Heath at safety. I could see Jaylon at the MIKE, but not this year and again, I have no confidence in our medical staff to be right (or our ability to just be lucky for once).

And essentially the first 3 picks were heavily driven by Marinelli, the former coach of an 0-16 team.

Ugh.

YR

reddyuta

Reaction score
My feelings are that this draft is going to hurt us for a long time.

The better organizations obviously win more often than not. But, when they find themselves in a down year and have a high position in the draft, they take great advantage of the draft and I don't believe we did that. This class may have a few players that turn out decent enough, but when we find ourselves stuck at 8-8 or who knows what when Romo is done for, it will be the fact that we didn't take advantage of this draft position that hurt us.

My feeling on Zeke is that he's a nice player, but not an outstanding prospect. In golf terms, he reminds me of Steve Stricker, the guy that does everything nicely and is well coached, but not this dynamic athlete. At #4 overall with the RB position you want an Adrian Peterson type who in golf terms would be like a Rory McIlroy or Jason Day...a special athlete that can produce big numbers. There are a few issues with taking RB at #4. For starters, it's an injury prone positiion that depreciates in value quite rapidly as the player gets older compared to other positions. Secondly, highly productive RB's have been found much later in the draft. Case in point, Rawls was a UDFA and lit it up last year.

I don't like the fact that Zeke is a Big-10 RB who played for a powerhouse team in an Urban Meyer system where the QB is a threat to keep the ball and run with it himself in a Big 10 conference that was down this year. Nice player, but at #4 he better be producing more at the 1,500 yards/10 TD's range. Awful lot to ask from your tailback.

And on SiriusXM they were talking about how the Ravens were interested in Ramsey or Stanley, NOT Zeke in the trade-up. The Ravens actually wanted Tunsil according to reports, but the entire fiasco with him changed things and they wanted to make sure they got Ramsey or Stanley. So either Jerry is lying to us to make us feel better or Ozzie Newsome lied to him. I'll take the former.

I liked Jaylon Smith, but I have zero confidence that our medical staff can make the right prognosis. And we're not talking about some ACL injury like Lee had, we are talking about nerve damage. I don't think we really tried that hard to get Paxton Lynch as Jerry claimed as they were intent on taking Dak Prescott. Believe me, if Jerry really wanted Paxton Lynch...we would have gotten him.

And therein lies the problem...I don't think we are going to get the chance to get players at the caliber of ability and potential like Ramsey and Lynch again for a few years at those positions while I think we could have gotten comparable talents at RB to Zeke.

I did like the Collins pick. I think he was a first round talent after 2014, but a new coaching staff at Nebraska caused him to drop. Explosive off the snap, hustles. It gives us a lot of depth at DT, although we'll probably move Crawford to DE because of the 2 idiots at DE being suspended.

When I look at teams, I look to see how they are at both safety positions, the MIKE, center and QB. If you're good at those positions, you're going to be a tough team to beat. Those positions ask for so many things that it requires not only physical ability, but smarts as well. Right now, if healthy I feel confident in Romo and Fred, but McClain stinks and our best bet is to go with Byron and Heath at safety. I could see Jaylon at the MIKE, but not this year and again, I have no confidence in our medical staff to be right (or our ability to just be lucky for once).

And essentially the first 3 picks were heavily driven by Marinelli, the former coach of an 0-16 team.

Ugh.

YR

I am big Lynch fan too but it would have gutted our draft. if we gave away our 2nd,3rd,and 4th rd picks for a guy who wont play for 2 years. then this draft would be worse than the 2009 draft.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I am big Lynch fan too but it would have gutted our draft. if we gave away our 2nd,3rd,and 4th rd picks for a guy who wont play for 2 years. then this draft would be worse than the 2009 draft.

If we would have traded down with the Ravens (who weren't taking Zeke), we could have used that extra pick and traded for Lynch.

The only thing that would make me nervous about Lynch is that I'm a big believer in keeping the same O-Coordinator with a QB for at least their first 3 years in the league. I think Garrett is on thin ice here and could see him getting fired. Have to imagine Linehan would be gone as well.

I think in Denver, Kubiak is there to stay. And will likely get at least a year to ride the bench. I think he's in a great position to be a top flight QB. And yes, I would give up a 2nd, 3rd and 4th for another Aaron Rodgers...or even another Matt Ryan. Because it certainly beats the alternative of not having that QB or trading way up and giving up what the Eagles and Rams gave up to get their picks...who won't be ready this year.

YR

IrishAnto

Reaction score
10+ sacks is a strawman you set up to make yourself feel better

There were players at 34 like Spence, Reed, Robinson and others who would have started for this team

The rest I already said in my previous post

This draft reflects the mindset of this team and FO that 2016 season will be a wash with Romo and Dez recovering from injury/surgery. It also reflects their thinking that Romo will play for 4-5 years. They are already looking to 2017.

If anything this reflects a mindset that we're nearer to 2014 than 2015 and that 2016 could be anything but a wash.

Again what position is most likely to give you the biggest impact from a rookie player?

The answer of course is RB and we drafted the best one in class.

Not many DL are likely make that sort of impact in their first years and Smith's potential exceeds that of the three you mentioned.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
My feelings about the draft:
Jerry is still in charge and no matter what I think needs to happen.........Jerry gets his way.
This leads to the Dallas Cowboys being a middle of the road team........but with shiny new things to sell.

With that said, I don't think there is a viable plan to get them back to Superbowl quality, and I think this draft shows it.

EE is a talent, but not needed with this OLine.
JSmith was great, but will never be the same after that injury.
The DL is still weak, and Collins is nice, but there were bigger stronger options out there.
Tapper won't play much if Gregory and DLaw come back and keep their nose clean.
Prescott is a good bench warmer and a prayer for developing.
You just hope that one of the rest of them amounts to something.

Overall I would give them a B- in general as to talent acquired. I would give them a D for acquiring talent that is needed to get the team to the next level.

It is kind of like drafting another TE. Is 4 not enough? So draft one that hasn't played since Jr High.

Aven8

Reaction score
Now that I've had time to think about it I'm satisfied I guess, although I wanted a WR some where.

I loved the Zeke pick. Loved it and had no problem with taking him at 4.

Now that I've thought about it the Smith pick won't be much different then previous picks. Gregory was a 2nd and got hurt and now suspended so we have barely seen him. Escobar, another 2nd has barely done anything. Chaz Green was a 3rd and was redshirted due to injury and we will get to see him finally, and Dlaw got injured in TC his rookie year. So waiting on Smith to heal will suck, but if he does come back to form we might have the best LB in the game.

It's really obvious now that the 2nd round is where we like to gamble a lot!

DFWJC

Reaction score
fwiw
I thought we offered out 2nd and 4th and they wanted instead a 2nd and 3rd, but not both.

Water under the bridge at this point anyway.

jday

Reaction score
We got much better on the Offense.

Nothing we did in this draft would have helped the first 4 games of this season defensively....no Defensive rookie would have countered losing our two starting DE's.

If Romo,Dez,Zeke, and this o-line can win those games and our idiotic DE's can come back rdy to play game 5 ...... we should be better.

Where did that draft grade in your signature come from?

jjktkk

Reaction score
This
Good NFL teams don't draft this way
Even the Zeke pick is questionable. Players like Perkins, Dixon and Booker picked in rds 3-4 May have better pro careers
And there were starters on the board at 34 where we picked an absolute prayer

Really really weak drafting

Wow, Visionary not liking this draft involving Jerry's input. I'm shocked!!! You wouldn't give Jerry credit, even if you liked a pick he made.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Usual draft we have seen the last several years. One pro bowl starter and many hopes and dreams. If four of nine are on the roster and contributing in three years it was a successful draft.

The Smith pick was definitely a questionable pick, that legitimately can be criticized. But, imo, Dallas did not reach for a player with any of their picks, nor did they pick some prospect from some obscure school, no one has ever heard of. I understand the questioning of taking Elliot so high, and definitely understand the criticizing of taking Smith at 34. But I think the rest of the picks were solid.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
The Smith pick was definitely a questionable pick, that legitimately can be criticized. But, imo, Dallas did not reach for a player with any of their picks, nor did they pick some prospect from some obscure school, no one has ever heard of. I understand the questioning of taking Elliot so high, and definitely understand the criticizing of taking Smith at 34. But I think the rest of the picks were solid.

Agree. Only thing I would have done differently is picked Kenny Lawler instead of Rico in the 6th. They tried to trade up twice for QB's and it didn't work out, but they still drafted one that was very successful in college and has some skills that can be developed.

I'm a ND fan, so I love the Smith pick. Just hope he can come back. But I'm sure that they have more info. on that than just from Dr. Cooper, especially if the Pats were going to pick him in round 2.

visionary

Reaction score

So the first and second Rd picks were 'questionable' but this was a solid draft? Maybe next year we should just start from Rd 3?
Lol, you wouldn't criticize jerry if he gave away the entire draft.