What are your thoughts on Taco?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PITT ranks 21st in the league in rushing defense from off the offensive Left Tackle .

That is why DAL doesn't play small DEs
DAL ranks 6th in that measure. .

I appreciate the effort, but you should really save yourself the work.
:thumbup:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are we even debating anymore? You said.... "For a first round pick Taco is pathetic." I disagreed.

I guess you are saying... Watt is better right now therefore Taco is pathetic?

Where did I ever say that? I think maybe you have me confused with someone else?
:huh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stick to gifs kid, football talk is for adults.[/qiuote]

Are false claims also for "adults, kid"?

The fact you are arguing 6th in sacks (with a top 10 run defense) isnt good enough says it all.

You know what really "says it all"? A guy rushing to use team statistics in a comparison of individual players. Trying to give Taco credit for other players sack numbers while trying to blame Watt for his defense's ranking. A better illustration of a desperate double-standard you'd be hard-pressed to find.

You are committed to a pedantic argument that has zero basis in fact or reality.

I am? Seriously? o_O

I'm not the guy grasping at straws here to try to make Taco look better somehow.

Or the guy making up fake weight numbers.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Taco is a below average DE. Hopefully he improves. Some guys just don’t have the intensity to excel at DE. He truly is a soft taco right now.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Im still not seeing it in this kid. Takes time or not, he just doesn't have IT. Kid gets pushed around badly all game long. The few plays he makes is when he is unblocked.

Thoughts?
This stuff takes time.

Randy White took 4 years being moved from LBer to DT to become what we remember him as the Manster.

It took drafting Ed Too Tall Jones to jell things.

Plus others.

We all want our picks to be JJ Watt.

Just not realistic.

Give Taco more than 20 games.

He knows he needs to bring it.

Verdict

Reaction score
Im still not seeing it in this kid. Takes time or not, he just doesn't have IT. Kid gets pushed around badly all game long. The few plays he makes is when he is unblocked.

Thoughts?

Not a bad player but way over drafted. Two rounds too early for current ability/talent level.

Verdict

Reaction score
Taco was playing well before he injured his hand.
He's a big, athletic guy that can play both pass and run and will likely only get better as he goes.

Taco is what I thought he would be. Stout against the run and a mediocre pass rusher until he bulks up. He's too slow to use speed as his pass rush weapon.

He should not have been drafted until the 3rd round or later. That's where you draft projects. Not first round.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think he’s doing fine, better in his second year, and he’s developing that “never stop” attitude we like in DLaw. He’s going to be a solid starting DE in the 4-3. We don’t know what he’s going to be regarding his pass rush yet, but if he’s a Greg Ellis or Tony Tolbert type, that’s good.

No. He's not anywhere near that at this point. Not even close.

Verdict

Reaction score
Taco = Gregory

These guys give us the same thing. Some speed, couple nice swims, sometimes a pressure, and rest of the time you forget hes there.

I'm no Taco fan, but Taco is way better than Gregory without any of the baggage. But Taco was WAY overdrafted.

Verdict

Reaction score
my opinion is that from day 1 Taco has gotten better and far from a bust.
Im more concerned about Irving's drama and Gregory than Taco.
steadily improving and some one you can trust.
but apparantly,Im supposed to post not my opinion but yours.
if you dont want to hear the answer...dont ask the question.

Taco hasn't done anything so far. Not to say he won't, but it's getting pretty hard for any objective person to say the guys wasn't seriously over drafted.

I think he's a decent player. His talent level should have been 3rd roundish.

Verdict

Reaction score
Jury is still out but he's the same as Marcus Spears, good player off a great defense, but not the best player.

A 1st rounder on a rotational player is a bad pick. Every 1st rounder should be a heavy snap player and should be the starter.

I had hoped that he and Gregory could show up and make Lawrence and that huge salary looming expendable but that's not looking good. I believe they're going to have to pay Lawrence.

With his draft position he should have grabbed a starting spot by the balls and never looked back by mid season last year. He's just a good rotational player right now and that's not worthy of a first round pick by any definition

Verdict

Reaction score
I suggested he was 265 because that's what he said he'd gotten his weight up to (at heaviest) out loud on the radio or a podcast....
Sorry I can't give you evidence of something I heard around a month ago.

But again it doesn't matter. The example was useless because he's not performing well in this scheme at the very thing you wanna assume someone with a similar build would.
The team is 6th in the NFL in sacks.
They are getting to the passer just fine.
Jaylon Smith has 3 sacks and brings LB rush to play already.

They can not get a 1st down. Let's maybe focus there.
If they got to do a re-draft right this minute they'd certainly not draft TJ Watt though they likely would pass on Taco as well for offense.

Dallas has like 1 million things that are an issue but drafting isn't one of them.
That in fact may be all they do well.

The issue isn't whether "they" are getting g to the QB just fine or not. What is Taco doing. That's the $64,000 question.

So far, Taco is seriously failing as a pass rusher. He gets an F so far this year.

Verdict

Reaction score
Do you really think Watt will keep this pace up? Look at the box scores... Watt has two 3 sack games. Both games the other QB had to throw the ball over 40 times ( 4 sacks were on Tyrod Taylor and Matt Schaub). Watt stared out hot last year as well, how did that work out?

I guess we view Watt very differently. I don't think hes even close to elite.

Watt is probably always going to have more sacks if he stays healthy. He's just a better pass rusher. He was when he was drafted and he is now.

We were never going to draft Watt because of his size. I'm not saying that's a sound reason. I'm just stating the facts as I see them.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This stuff takes time.

Randy White took 4 years being moved from LBer to DT to become what we remember him as the Manster.

It took drafting Ed Too Tall Jones to jell things.

Plus others.

We all want our picks to be JJ Watt.

Just not realistic.

Give Taco more than 20 games.

He knows he needs to bring it.

Amazing how TJ Watt is having a competition with his brother at 6 sacks already. Its more then developing. Taco simply doesn't have it. Slow off the ball, nothing. You can see when you watch him.

Pants

Reaction score
thread title just makes me think I may just have a good idea for the 4:25p est game time meal on sunday

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm not super impressed so far. I understand it takes some time for some players, but, for a first round pick.......meh. Like many have already stated in this thread he hasn't been worthy of the 1st round selection.

I'm not calling him a bust.......yet, but I would like to see more out of him.