What are your thoughts on Taco?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
There's nothing "obvious" about a false claim. Nobody suggested he wasn't bigger than the 235 pounds he was 2 years ago. You;re falsely claiming that he's 265 without a shred of proof. Why not go even bigger? Falsely claim that he's 275 punds or 200!

He's a perfect example of why this narrative that TJ Watt couldn't play defensive end in a 4-3 is a false one. Spread by coahes who lack the guts and vision, and fans who can;t beat that their team makes dumb decisions.

Don;t forget "TJ Watt equals entire defense".

Better example. Some "dumb people" who can't accept the truth because it paints their team in an unfavorable light.

I'll tell you Watt (see what I did there?), if this team had someone other than Demarcus Lawrence who could get to the passer, they'd be much better off defensively.
I suggested he was 265 because that's what he said he'd gotten his weight up to (at heaviest) out loud on the radio or a podcast....
Sorry I can't give you evidence of something I heard around a month ago.

But again it doesn't matter. The example was useless because he's not performing well in this scheme at the very thing you wanna assume someone with a similar build would.
The team is 6th in the NFL in sacks.
They are getting to the passer just fine.
Jaylon Smith has 3 sacks and brings LB rush to play already.

They can not get a 1st down. Let's maybe focus there.
If they got to do a re-draft right this minute they'd certainly not draft TJ Watt though they likely would pass on Taco as well for offense.

Dallas has like 1 million things that are an issue but drafting isn't one of them.
That in fact may be all they do well.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Demarcus Lawrence is 6-3 and 263 pounds...…….Watt is 6-5 and 252 pounds. 11 pounds isn't going to make a big difference when you can play. And no doubt he could have added 5-10 pounds if they really wanted him to. And as you said, he could have been a pass rusher on 2nd and 3rd down which would have been just fine. Either way its better then Soft Taco.
This is why I call people simple. lol.

DLaw was a down, hand in dirt DE at Boise State.
He has the size and strength and experience as a true DE.

TJ Watt was a WR/Safety that moved to OLB for 1 year.
He had no real experience with his hand in the dirt and now he plays as an OLB and when he does attack the LOS it is from the wide 9 position.

DLaw plays a STRONG side inline DE position and took a couple years to develop the strength and technique for it.
In fact people called him FAT as recently as training camp 2017.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I suggested he was 265 because that's what he said he'd gotten his weight up to (at heaviest) out loud on the radio or a podcast....
Sorry I can't give you evidence of something I heard around a month ago.

But again it doesn't matter. The example was useless because he's not performing well in this scheme at the very thing you wanna assume someone with a similar build would.

Don't sell yourself short. False claims always matter.

The team is 6th in the NFL in sacks.
They are getting to the passer just fine.
Jaylon Smith has 3 sacks and brings LB rush to play already.

Is 6th the limbo bar now? I lose track of just how far we have to lower our expectations for this team to slide under them. The fact is that it's Lawrence by himself on that defensive line. None of the other options - including 1st rounder Taco - is getting the job done otherwise.

They can not get a 1st down. Let's maybe focus there.
If they got to do a re-draft right this minute they'd certainly not draft TJ Watt though they likely would pass on Taco as well for offense.

More revisionist history in some vain effort to eliminate the pain of screwing up and passing on Watt. Now they "would have gone offense". It never stops. The fact is that that they were after a pass rusher, a defensive end. And that's what they chose. They just chose the wrong one. But don't give me some "offense" line now. It's sad.

Dallas has like 1 million things that are an issue but drafting isn't one of them.
That in fact may be all they do well.

Nobody is claiming otherwise. Don't go for a straw man. They have drafted very well, but obviously not perfectly.

The fact is that it looks like they missed on this one. It happens to everybody and thus far it looks like it happened to them. Do yourself a favor and admit that and move on.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I'm not understanding this question?

Well if we have tj and tank.

More than likely both aren’t having the success they’re having and 1 will more than likely be around what Dupree is doing 3 sacks.

You put that stat into Lawrence’s column and what are the discussions about his pay like right now

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well if we have tj and tank.

More than likely both aren’t having the success they’re having and 1 will more than likely be around what Dupree is doing 3 sacks.

You put that stat into Lawrence’s column and what are the discussions about his pay like right now

Really? So your thinking is that there are only so many sacks to go around? And if one guy gets them, the other can't?

Interesting...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Im still not seeing it in this kid. Takes time or not, he just doesn't have IT. Kid gets pushed around badly all game long. The few plays he makes is when he is unblocked.

Thoughts?

He's a good rotational piece, but isn't more than that yet. His pass rush needs to step up. So does Gregory's for that matter.

I expected a bigger step up from Charlton than we've seen. I didn't know what to expect from Gregory.

Mr_Strol

Reaction score
There's a guy picked a few spots after that who's current leading the league in sacks. "Let's not forget" that either.
Sure, there are exceptions to every rule. But the vast majority of elite pass rushers were top 10 picks. Comparing Taco to these guys is not just.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure, there are exceptions to every rule. But the vast majority of elite pass rushers were top 10 picks. Comparing Taco to these guys is not just.

Is it unfair to compare him with the guy who was sitting there that the Cowboys could have drafted? The one I and many others felt they should have? I don't think it is. I don't think it's "unjust" to see what the guy you could have had is doing and compare him to what the Cowboys currently have. There is such a thing as just criticism.

Mr_Strol

Reaction score
Is it unfair to compare him with the guy who was sitting there that the Cowboys could have drafted? The one I and many others felt they should have? I don't think it is. I don't think it's "unjust" to see what the guy you could have had is doing and compare him to what the Cowboys currently have. There is such a thing as just criticism.

Do you really think Watt will keep this pace up? Look at the box scores... Watt has two 3 sack games. Both games the other QB had to throw the ball over 40 times ( 4 sacks were on Tyrod Taylor and Matt Schaub). Watt stared out hot last year as well, how did that work out?

I guess we view Watt very differently. I don't think hes even close to elite.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should have gotten the guy that plays for the stealers.

giphy.gif

dwreck27

Reaction score
Next year is money for him in my eyes...

Tank I think really blossomed and showed out that year if memory serves me right with 8 sacks

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you really think Watt will keep this pace up? Look at the box scores... Watt has two 3 sack games. Both games the other QB had to throw the ball over 40 times ( 4 sacks were on Tyrod Taylor and Matt Schaub). Watt stared out hot last year as well, how did that work out?

Exactly what "pace" does he have to maintain? Better than Taco's? Well that's a pretty low bar, isn't it?

I guess we view Watt very differently. I don't think hes even close to elite.

He doesn't have to be, he just has to be better than Taco. But we'll see how he fares the rest of this year. I'm willing to bet it's better than the guy we drafted. How about you?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He's a solid player who was picked a round or two too early but likely would have been grabbed by another team who coveted a pass rusher before he came back around to us. He's in his second year and improving. Not every player hits the ground running, some take longer to develop. Look at Tank. He's a cheap rotational guy at the moment that could hit his stride and blow up or he might not and just be a career backup/rotational guy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Exactly what "pace" does he have to maintain? Better than Taco's? Well that's a pretty low bar, isn't it?

He doesn't have to be, he just has to be better than Taco. But we'll see how he fares the rest of this year. I'm willing to bet it's better than the guy we drafted. How about you?
PITT ranks 21st in the league in rushing defense from off the offensive Left Tackle .

That is why DAL doesn't play small DEs
DAL ranks 6th in that measure. .

Mr_Strol

Reaction score

What are we even debating anymore? You said.... "For a first round pick Taco is pathetic." I disagreed.

I guess you are saying... Watt is better right now therefore Taco is pathetic?

Mr_Strol

Reaction score
That is why DAL doesn't play small DEs
DAL ranks 6th in that measure. .[/QUOTE]

Also... Pitt's defense plays 6 more snaps a game then Dallas's defense. Stats like tackles, hurries, sacks, ints etc... will always be a little inflated in comparison.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Don't sell yourself short. False claims always matter.

Is 6th the limbo bar now? I lose track of just how far we have to lower our expectations for this team to slide under them. The fact is that it's Lawrence by himself on that defensive line. None of the other options - including 1st rounder Taco - is getting the job done otherwise.

More revisionist history in some vain effort to eliminate the pain of screwing up and passing on Watt. Now they "would have gone offense". It never stops. The fact is that that they were after a pass rusher, a defensive end. And that's what they chose. They just chose the wrong one. But don't give me some "offense" line now. It's sad.

Nobody is claiming otherwise. Don't go for a straw man. They have drafted very well, but obviously not perfectly.

The fact is that it looks like they missed on this one. It happens to everybody and thus far it looks like it happened to them. Do yourself a favor and admit that and move on.

Stick to gifs kid, football talk is for adults.

The fact you are arguing 6th in sacks (with a top 10 run defense) isnt good enough says it all.

You are committed to a pedantic argument that has zero basis in fact or reality.