What books have you been reading?

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
That's the big three in post-apocalyptic ficton.

Loved Swan Song and several other McCammon books including Boys Life. If you like the post-apocalyptic genre I'd suggest Rivers by Smith, Wool by Howey, One Second After by Matherson, The Dog Stars by Heller, and The Road by McCarthy. I like the genre and those are some of my favorites.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Loved Swan Song and several other McCammon books including Boys Life. If you like the post-apocalyptic genre I'd suggest Rivers by Smith, Wool by Howey, One Second After by Matherson, The Dog Stars by Heller, and The Road by McCarthy. I like the genre and those are some of my favorites.

Thanks. I don't specifically seek out the genre subset, but have enjoyed the ones I have come across. The Road is on my kindle, but next up is either "Kafka on the Shore" or Sanderson's Mistborn servers.

ragman

Reaction score
Other good post-apocalyptic novels are

The HAB Theory, by Alan W. Eckert. Good luck in trying to find this one, because it's been out of print for years.
The Postman, by David Brin.
The Remaining Series, by DJ Molles. This is a 6 book paperback series that I'm reading now. I'm up to book #4, Fractured.

ragman

Reaction score

I've read The Dog Stars, but not the others that you mentioned.

Thanks.

Section446

Reaction score
All Quiet on the Western Front... Great read.

Also recently read:
Killing Kennedy
Killing Jesus
Killing Hitler
Killing Lincoln
All by O'Reilly, all great reads.

Hardline

Reaction score
Just finished Kingdom of the Cults by Walter Martin.
Just started The Saturn Myth. Only I would be strange enough to read this book.

After I finish that I will be doing my yearly pilgrimage through JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillian, The Hobbit and LOTR for the 6th time.

ragman

Reaction score

After I finish that I will be doing my yearly pilgrimage through JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillian, The Hobbit and LOTR for the 6th time.

I've tried to read Tolkien and I just can't get interested. I don't know why.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Thanks. I don't specifically seek out the genre subset, but have enjoyed the ones I have come across. The Road is on my kindle, but next up is either "Kafka on the Shore" or Sanderson's Mistborn servers.

I've tried reading mistborn twice and given up on it both times.

Speaking of apocalyptic novels, anyone read alas Babylon? I have if lying around, been thinking about giving it a go.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score

Speaking of apocalyptic novels, anyone read alas Babylon? I have if lying around, been thinking about giving it a go.
That's a shame. I love Mistborn and most of Sanderson's other stuff as well.

I have just started The Darkness that Comes Before, Book #1 of the Prince of Nothing series by R. Scott Bakker. I'm not very far in yet but I am enjoying it.

ragman

Reaction score

I enjoyed Mistborn, and the other books in that series. I think I'm behind now, though.

Heard of Alas, Babylon, but have not read it.

Section446

Reaction score

That's dedication, are they that good?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Absolutely

I've read the Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy, but when I tries out the Silmarillian I had a hard time getting through the first chapters. I'll have to go back sometime, but it read like Genesis.

paladin

Reaction score

I read it, once, as a high school assignment,
It's just a "slice of life" apocalyptic; no glittering space zombies on unicorns.
40 years ago and I remember it well, not exactly sure why.

Just finished Moby Dick.
135 chapters
Somebody, somewhere, ask me a question about whales, or whaling, or whaling boats or whale oil or nature of white....please.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yes, I have read Swan Song. Another one of my all-time favorite books. Along with Stephen King's The Stand.
The Stand was fairly epic. The movie was truly terrible.

Kind of like the old Dune series. Too much information to pull it off in a movie/mini-series

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I read it, once, as a high school assignment,
It's just a "slice of life" apocalyptic; no glittering space zombies on unicorns.
40 years ago and I remember it well, not exactly sure why.

Just finished Moby Dick.
135 chapters
Somebody, somewhere, ask me a question about whales, or whaling, or whaling boats or whale oil or nature of white....please.

We'll just call you Ishmael.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
The Stand was fairly epic. The movie was truly terrible.

Kind of like the old Dune series. Too much information to pull it off in a movie/mini-series

I believe The Stand mini series was well received.