• Watchmen (graphic Novel) - Moore, Alan*
  • 1Q84 - Murakami, Haruki
  • Alaska - Michener, James A
  • Rendezvous with Rama - Clarke, Arthur C*
  • Going postal : a novel of Discworld - Pratchett, Terry*
  • Flowers for Algernon - Keyes, Daniel*
  • The Sandman (Graphic novel) - Gaiman, Neil*
  • A canticle for Leibowitz - Miller, Walter M*
*Still working my way through NPR's top 100 Sci-Fi and Fantasy list, though not as stringently.

Last edited:

SMASHMOUTH9473

Reaction score
To those who like to read books about prison. ..
1. The Largest Hotel Chain in Texas by Lon Bennett Glenn
2. When the Wall Came Tumbling Down by Steve Martin

I've read the 1st one and was truly impressed. I've worked for TDCJ for almost 23 years now and the author hit the nail on the head. The 2nd one precedes the 1st and I'm told that it is equally impressive. It's on my bucket list !!!

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Clive Barker/Weaveworld - This is my second attempt at Barker and I just can't get into it.

George R. Stewart/The Earth Abides - Pretty cool post apocalyptic book that centers more on the the years after and rebuilding rather than the event itself.

Steve Inskeep/Jacksonland - Highly recommended! The story follows Andrew Jackson and Chief John Ross along the Trail of Tears and the American land grab. It's a book that will make you both love and hate being an American. Very powerful read.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Been reading some Stieg Larsson...not bad!!

Yeah, I didn't read any of his books until he was dead. When I read the first Dragon Tatto book, I was sold and ended up reading them back to back to back. The story never got old. I just wish he had wrote more of them. Shame he died. :( He was a fantastic writer.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
  • Watchmen (graphic Novel) - Moore, Alan 8/10
  • 1Q84 - Murakami, Haruki 5/10
  • Chesapeake - Michener, James A 9/10
  • 11/22/63 - King, Stephen 7.5/10
  • Going postal : a novel of Discworld - Pratchett, Terry 7/10
  • A canticle for Leibowitz - Miller, Walter M 6/10
Currently reading "It" in anticipation of the new remake.

rynochop

Reaction score
Rainbow Seven, Clancy. Probably my favorite book by him..his dialogue between characters leaves a lot to be desired, but it's a cool book. Not sure how you could make it into a movie

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Fighting for the Confederacy.

by Porter Alexander.

He was the artillery chief for the south.

negativecreep

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of F Scott. Fitzgerald lately, haven't read the Great Gatsby in years, so that's what I'm working on right now. Not sure what's next, but I love to read, probably some Mark Twain.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I'm currently on Peter F Hamilton's Void trilogy.
Next up is book 5 of Marko Kloos' Frontline series. I highly recommend this series for fans of Starship Trooper type of Military Sci-Fi.

Other books I have enjoyed lately:

Justin Cronin's Passage series
The conclusion of John Gywnne's The Faithful and The Fallen series, Wrath.
Dan Simmons' Summer of Night and A Winter Haunting

Shinaoi

Reaction score
I'm currently on Peter F Hamilton's Void trilogy.
Next up is book 5 of Marko Kloos' Frontline series. I highly recommend this series for fans of Starship Trooper type of Military Sci-Fi.

Other books I have enjoyed lately:

Justin Cronin's Passage series
The conclusion of John Gywnne's The Faithful and The Fallen series, Wrath.
Dan Simmons' Summer of Night and A Winter Haunting

I preferred the void books more than the common wealth, which I have yet to finish.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm about to pickup I'm Right and you're an Idiot. Catchy title, but it's supposed to be a really good book on the breakdown of public discourse. I'm really interested to see the role social media has in the demise.
Interesting. Might pick that up. Me and a coworker the other day were talking about dialetectics is something we seems to be going farther and farther away from

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just got done with the first book of Steve Berry's Cotton Malone series The Tempar Legacy . Solid book if you're into Dan Brown type stuff. A little heavier then Brown, which IMO is a negative for this type of read. Alot more research then Browns stuff, and it gets somewhat convoluted at times. Templar lore so is just so facsinating. Im gonna read a couple more in this series then put it on the back burner for a bit.

I want to read the Sam Watkins and Elisha Hunt Rhodes memiors. Your probably familiar with these cats if you have watched Ken Burns Civil. Both wrote memiors detailing the life of a normal soldier during the Civil War

Im also thinking about doing LOTR on audiobook. I want to see how it comes across in that format. See if I can get more of a "storyteller" vibe