What can zeke do to regain the title

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Because we had, by far, the best run blocking in the league. Nearly any RB could have had a good year behind that kind of run blocking. Murray and McFadden before him had great and good seasons.

As the O-line has declined, so has Zeke and he's just getting more wear and tear on his body. He'll be playing like a 30 year old before he is even 26.
It wasn't the best. The Titans and Steelers lines where equal. D Murray ran wild for two years with them. Then Henry takes over and does it. The only thing that stopped Murray from getting even more was sharing with Henry. He never had long runs with us, but he had 70 plus yard runs with the titans. Now Henry keeps having long runs.

Hardline

Reaction score
Great RBs can produce behind average offensive lines.
Cant use that as an excuse for Zeke.
If Zeke wasn't tying us down with that contract I would consider drafting the RB from Clemson if he fell to the second round.
I meant 3rd round

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Great RBs can produce behind average offensive lines.
Cant use that as an excuse for Zeke.
If Zeke wasn't tying us down with that contract I would consider drafting the RB from Clemson if he fell to the second round.
Our o-line isn't average. It's awful. It was average in 2017 and 2018. Its terrible now and NO one has ever produced behind a terrible line. don't try to bring up Barry sanders either because his line had 2 prowlers and his Line wasn't bad. it wasn't number 1, but it wasn't below average. He just overran his blocks and didn't play with patience. He free styled. Zeke had a great line for one season. the lines gotten worse every year. it was slightly below average last year. Now its the worst in the league. D Henry would be terrible with this line because he can't make you miss consistently at the line of scrimmage or behind it.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Fix the offensive line and make him the focal point of the offense again. As soon as we got away from that, we started losing.

Radiashun

Reaction score
He never breaks one. A 20 yard run feels like a mile watching him. Good line, average line, bad line, it seems like an $80 million back would turn the game on his own once in awhile. I have never been anti-Zeke, but as I look at the wreckage of this season I realize that money could have been spent much more wisely.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
of best back. Zeke's one of the best backs still, but I feel he needs to drop weight. He Needs to play at 223 or less to be at his best. I remember in training camp a few years ago, Zeke out ran chido for a td. That's impressive because chino's the same guy who hawked S Barkley. last year, so he has real speed. He ran with Julio 2 years. Who on the staff can get Zeke t commit to dropping weight? Is he dumb? Does he nt know that the more hits he takes the shorter his career is? More speed means more long tds and less hits.
He never was the best back.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It wasn't the best. The Titans and Steelers lines where equal. D Murray ran wild for two years with them. Then Henry takes over and does it. The only thing that stopped Murray from getting even more was sharing with Henry. He never had long runs with us, but he had 70 plus yard runs with the titans. Now Henry keeps having long runs.

In 2014 and 2016 we had, by far, the best run blocking in the league. It was still quite high the past couple seasons as well, but steadily dropping.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
of best back. Zeke's one of the best backs still, but I feel he needs to drop weight. He Needs to play at 223 or less to be at his best. I remember in training camp a few years ago, Zeke out ran chido for a td. That's impressive because chino's the same guy who hawked S Barkley. last year, so he has real speed. He ran with Julio 2 years. Who on the staff can get Zeke t commit to dropping weight? Is he dumb? Does he nt know that the more hits he takes the shorter his career is? More speed means more long tds and less hits.

Zeke is way down the list of this team's problems, but CZ is so agenda-driven rational discussion about anything is pretty much out the window.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Besides the obvious, lose weight, to regain his quickness to the hole and burst for longer runs......he needs to do what the cowardly lion in the Wizard of Oz did....go to the Land of Oz and get himself a heart. it appears more like he has lost his edge, his heart to be the best. Now it is a just a job where he can collect his paycheck and stay healthy. No focus. I hope i/m wrong, because that may be improbable, losing the weight is the easy part.

kumizi

Reaction score
You cant reverse father time. Zeke has over 1500 touches in the NFL. He's a guy that tries to run over defenders instead of saving his body and going out of bounds. He's a guy with a party reputation. It's over for him as an elite back.

Proof

Reaction score
Are you ok with Dak making 37m, because he wasn't carrying the team either?

This is a team game, period. And this is a bad team right now.

Yes. He’s clearly the engine, and you can’t get qbs for bargain prices. Rbs you can pluck off the streeet and/or draft in late rounds. False equivalence muchacho. And Dak was most certainly carrying the team this year

Proof

Reaction score

With Cowboys 1800 yards 13 tds and 4.7 ypc

with Titans 1300 yards 9 tds 4.5 ypc.

running wild indeed.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Glue?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

First off there are two things that would first have to happen if he has any chance and that is HANG ON TO THE BALL and second a better line. But even those two things won't guarantee he will. Losing weight may help with his speed. He never had that lighting speed you think he had. His combine speed was 4.47 seconds and that was at his lightest of his career.

You may not like this but most backs production really drops after 3 or 4 years. Heck the average career length for a NFL RB is only 2.67 years. Yes there are some that play a lot longer like Emmitt and now Perterson but those are the exceptions. Elliott may be an exception to play longer but that doesn't mean he'll be a league leading back for those years.

fansince68

Reaction score
Use some of his 90 million to lure coach Callihan back to teach this o line.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Lots of touches puts a toll on your body. Also don’t believe Moore is good with the running game and not a good match with Zeke.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This team can't be the best passing team in the league AND the best run team. But it can be good at both.. In order to that it's going to need to rebuild the offensive line and change its run scheme back to more power run and less of this of these run plays that ask the biguns up front to dance with the defenders instead of mauling them. As I've said many times, Zeke was drafted as a downhill dot the I and attack the line of scrimmage with a head of steam power runner. Since Moore has taken over he has almost exclusively been a shotgun glide along until a hole opens up runner. That style is Tony Pollard way more than it is Zeke. So if we want to get our money's worth from Zeke we need to run the ball the way he was intended to run it. If we're going to run this Air Raid shotgun 99% of the time offense then we should trade or release him as soon as is practical because we will never be satisfied with his production from that look.

Here's a fun exercise.
In 2016 Zeke had 269 carries with the QB under center and 53 from shotgun (15.4%) .. He averaged 4.4 ypc from shotgun and 5.2 from under center
in 2017 he had 199 carries under center and 43 from shotgun (17.8%)%) .. in 10 games.. He averaged 4.0 ypc from shotgun and 4.4 from under center
in 2018 it was 226 under center and 78 from shotgun (25.6%) .. Ironically that year he averaged 4.8 ypc under shotgun and 4.7 under center..
in 2019 it was 214 under center and 87 from shotgun (28.9%) .. 4.4 ypc from shotgun and 4.5 ypc under center.
in 2020 so far we have 79 under center and 53 from shotgun.. (40.1% YIKES) 3.9 ypc from shotgun and 4.0 under center.

Throughout his career he has been better with the QB under center except for 2018. I guess there are always outliers. I suppose in reality we should throw out any numbers from this year because of all the circumstances at play.. Falling behind.. crappy blocking and now crappy QB play.. but the trend is clear. We have steadily been moving away from the style of play that maximizes his skillset. His game is predicated on volume carries and being able to wear a defense down. Shotgun runs don't really afford the opportunity to dish out much in the way of punishment for a running back. And obviously you can't continue to beat on the defense with the running game when you're behind.. Zeke has only 54 second half carries this season. That's less than 7 a game.. You aint grindin nobody down with that.. And again, it's clearly not going to change this year. Zeke average is going to continue to plummet the rest of this year and the calls for his head will reach deafening volume this offseason. Let's hope the front office isn't stupid enough to listen to them.

diamonddelts

Reaction score

League is not even a top 15 running back in the league anymore. He is washed up, chubby, and slow.