What changes do people actually think will happen?

Sydla

Reaction score
People are taking this too hard. Yes Dallas was outplayed. We lost 30-22. Dallas lost in 1991 to the Lions in the divisional round 38-6. Is Aikman a slacker? Was Irvin? Did Jimmy not motivate or adjust at halftime? That was a damn good team but we all knew they weren't there yet. At least those of us old enough to remember. And we beat the eventual SB champs in the regular season that year too.

The Cowboys need to add a few more pieces on D. A few more impact players because that's where I think we're the fewest players away.

LOL.

1991 was Jimmy’s 3rd season and the team was on an upward trend.

We just finished Garrett’s 8th season and there’s no real trend here.

That’s a pretty sad analogy.

Sydla

Reaction score
The only thing that matters is Garrett is staying.

The rest is just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

They’ll scapegoat a few for sure though.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
People are taking this too hard. Yes Dallas was outplayed. We lost 30-22. Dallas lost in 1991 to the Lions in the divisional round 38-6. Is Aikman a slacker? Was Irvin? Did Jimmy not motivate or adjust at halftime? That was a damn good team but we all knew they weren't there yet. At least those of us old enough to remember. And we beat the eventual SB champs in the regular season that year too.

The Cowboys need to add a few more pieces on D. A few more impact players because that's where I think we're the fewest players away.

People were saying the same thing after our loss in 2016.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
LOL.

It's a flat trend with Garrett. He's plateaued out.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It would be funny as hell if there were no significant coaching changes in the off season huh? Some of y’all would completely blow a gasket.

As for me, I’m not really sure what exactly will happen. I figure there will be some changes but if I were putting down odds, I’d say marinella is the only one that would be more likely to go than not. I’d put linehan at 50-50, and Richard at a little below that as I don’t believe the golden child will get any offers. Moore is a complete non story. Come or go doesn’t matter really.

Buying those guys, who the heck knows.

And I’m not talking about who people want gone, but who you think actually will be forced out.
Nobody.

I think you are in Aftershock like the rest of us.

Flamma

Reaction score

We know the trend. The trend is mediocre. I'm not a big fan of the coach. If we're going to be upset about anything is that we rarely get a divisional round shot. We need to be more consistent.

People were saying the same thing after our loss in 2016.

Not the same. Embarrassing yourself as a #1 seed like we did in 2007 and 2016 was very disappointing.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

So how many drafts and how many years now?

It's been 25+ years going on Eternity.

MS17

Reaction score
The only thing that matters is Garrett is staying.

The rest is just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

They’ll scapegoat a few for sure though.

Yes, yes and yes.
Rearranging Titanic deck chairs metaphor used to be funny. Describes the Jones era Cowboys now.

kevm3

Reaction score
What will happen? Nothing much. Low draft position, no first rounder, no real coaching changes... yet somehow we're going to beat the rams and saints or chiefs next year. Yeah right. More perpetual mediocrity coming at ya.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
No changes that would really matter..........how can he really fire a HC that's won 2 playoff games in 9 years..........since Jerry sees this offense being as good as the Rams, Linehan should be safe as well.........our only hope is to get a pair of glasses like Jerry wears that he has his grandson to clean.

SSoup

Reaction score
I hope we replace Linehan. But: I could see Linehan having good success next year if he comes back.

The o-line was down in the dumps this year with Fredrick gone, Martin hobbled, Tyron declining, and the rookie guard being so green and lean. If our C and RG heal up and are their usual selves next year, the o-line gets a big shot in the arm automatically without any coaching input. If Williams works hard in the weight room, same deal. I could see the o-line being much better next year just with a return to full health and giving the new guy an offseason in our strength training program.

Obviously the offense was night and day before and after the Cooper trade. Giving them a full year of Cooper? Huge advantage over 2018 right there, purely based on personnel. Plus Gallup ought to continue to improve and grow his chemistry with Dak, positioning Gallup to be better. I'd expect our WR position to be better in 2019 than it was in 2018 no matter who our coordinator is.

And let's assume (hopefully) that the team places a priority on the TE position this offseason, resolving to add at least one of the better free agent TEs on the market this offseason. That, plus Jarwin building on the nice finish he had to the year? Plus Schultz continuing to develop? Plus maybe a mid-round TE if a nice one falls far enough for us in the draft? I could see the TE position being much better in 2019 just by virtue of Jarwin and Schultz progressing plus hopefully a useful newcomer from free agency. It wouldn't take much to improve on what Swaim gave us early this year.

I could also see us improving the RB stable, since they're gonna start taking the position seriously with rumblings of Zeke pushing for a new deal. They'd have to be insane to not be preparing for the possibility of a holdout. So a mid-round rookie and a nice free agent option should be brought in to join the RB depth chart, improving the RB position purely through personnel.

If Dak and Elliott stay healthy, the o-line bounces back from a bad year (with debilitating illness and lingering injuries), and we get a whole year of Cooper and a couple less months of Swaim, our offense could have a big bounce-back season whether the coordinator is Linehan or someone new. Heck, just having Fredrick back might account for our redzone offense rising up out of the cellar, and turning a good handful of those FGs into TDs would make a huge difference by itself.

I hope we move on from Linehan. But if we don't, I still think he's actually going to be positioned to have a much better season based purely on the personnel and circumstantial factors.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Chan Gailey
Dave Campo
Bill Parcells
Wade Phillips
Jason Garrett

They have 3 things in common: Jerry, Stephen, and no wins in the divisional round as head coach of the Cowboys.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It would be funny as hell if there were no significant coaching changes in the off season huh? Some of y’all would completely blow a gasket.

As for me, I’m not really sure what exactly will happen. I figure there will be some changes but if I were putting down odds, I’d say marinella is the only one that would be more likely to go than not. I’d put linehan at 50-50, and Richard at a little below that as I don’t believe the golden child will get any offers. Moore is a complete non story. Come or go doesn’t matter really.

And I’m not talking about who people want gone, but who you think actually will be forced out.
Linehan is probably gone, and Moore with him most likely

Could be significant. Could be insignificant

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
Linehan is gone. They almost fired him during the bye week and the rest of the season only served to further show how terrible his offensive scheme is.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Yes, yes and yes.
Rearranging Titanic deck chairs metaphor used to be funny. Describes the Jones era Cowboys now.
Yeah..

But I want to know is what section am I in?

First class

Second class

Steerage.

And where is the good looking little socialite who posed for nude drawings in that movie?

Put me next to her please.

Ddisco22

Reaction score

I think JG will fire SL