Video: What Could Cowboys Really Get In a Dak Trade?

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Depends on which team is gullible enough to believe Dak is an actual all pro. I'd say a 1 and a 3
Hey.....here's our 31 year old QB with super high cap draining salary who is a utter playoff failure and just racks up meaningless stats in Sept and October....who we don't want anymore.

Soooooo NFL GMs, please form a line and make your offers of 1st round picks to us.

HAHAHABABABABABABAHAHABABABA

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
It would be a team that wants to win in 2024 and not wait to 2025? I’m not saying they would but Minnesota/ Raiders/ and Denver come to mind. I’m ok keeping him and seeing how he and Cee Dee play in the playoffs on their contact years! But if the trade value is there I’d rather collect picks, play Lance, snd sign Micha ( at his new LB position).
I could see the Raiders throwing us a 3rd or 4th rounder (if they have cap space)

Not the Vikes though. They've had Dak Prescott themselves already for years....though they called him "Kirk Cousins" up there. Same thing though

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Hey.....here's our 31 year old QB with super high cap draining salary who is a utter playoff failure and just racks up meaningless stats in Sept and October....who we don't want anymore.

Soooooo NFL GMs, please form a line and make your offers of 1st round picks to us.

HAHAHABABABABABABAHAHABABABA
post of the morning lol

erod

Reaction score
pride and market value won't allow him to do it, plus he was "backup in MVP voting!" lol :facepalm:

All that leadership stuff among men means nothing when in COMBAT you can't fight!!! The leadership in the huddle, at practice, at his back yard that's all nice, we've seen that for years now, when can we see something else!!??
Exactly.

"Good leader" only matters when you're a great player that can shoulder the load.

rags747

Reaction score
Raiders would be good for a couple of 1’s a two and a three! Let’s do it!

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Raiders would be good for a couple of 1’s a two and a three! Let’s do it!
The only possible way Todd France would allow a trade is if the team Dak would go to is selected by Dak, and that team offers and signs him to a minimum of $55 million AAV for four years and $165 guaranteed, prior to the trade. The Cowboys would take a 3rd in this draft for him. Otherwise all they’ll be getting is a third round comp pick in the 2026 draft. The other team would obviously be aware they’re competing with no other team for him and they’re committing a lot of money for him. No team will ever go “Broncos crazy” again. Ever. I suspect France has already informed Jerry he will not entertain his client being traded under any circumstance.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m sure we could get a ham sammitch for him (without the ham)…

kskboys

Reaction score
The only possible way Todd France would allow a trade is if the team Dak would go to is selected by Dak, and that team offers and signs him to a minimum of $55 million AAV for four years and $165 guaranteed, prior to the trade. The Cowboys would take a 3rd in this draft for him. Otherwise all they’ll be getting is a third round comp pick in the 2026 draft. The other team would obviously be aware they’re competing with no other team for him and they’re committing a lot of money for him. No team will ever go “Broncos crazy” again. Ever. I suspect France has already informed Jerry he will not entertain his client being traded under any circumstance.
Yes they will!!!!!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
So many factors but I suspect you'd get about what Rodgers did.

Two 2nds and an R1 pick swap ((assuming the received pick isn't higher than mid round; say team was at 8 you likely have to swap but give up a 2nd)). Could be conditions applied to the future 2nd as it was for AR.

Dak's price and ability to pick his own team will limit trade return while his age and 2nd place MVP status will push up trade price.
Ultimately, I think it would land about where Rodgers did.
Receiving team gets a non-Hall of Famer but Pro Bowler with All-Pro status that is definitely a top 10 guy and likely 6-7th best QB.
Not the ceiling of Rodgers but well above the Rodgers floor and likely for twice as long.

Ultimately, I think the key for Dallas is the pick swap piece.
If you are moving Dak you need a day 1 QB ready to roll or you have to tank.
They have too much talent and coaching on hand to tank so you'd at least want an R1 QB and Penix, Jr might be last bet there.
And it's very possible a deal wouldn't be made official until teams were on the clock.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think the last line is possibly correct yet that can change at any given time.

But disagree totally on what a team would offer.
Dallas has zero incentive to do a deal for an R3 this year.
Zero, Zilch, Nada.
That's a non-starter you don't even take that call.
And even if Dak picks his team, it does not mean he would pick the same team in 12 months nor would he do it at the same price if he did once he was an unrestricted free agent.
Plus, you lose the year.
Again, just look at AR and the Jets. That is the framework.

I am sure if Jerry tells France he can seek a trade he will pitch two 1sts as his initial ask.
He won't get that, but teams won't bother calling with an R3.

A team trading for Dak can pay him 55M a year without paying more than 20M in year 1 and more than 30M in year 2 cap hits.
They'd have 2–3 year window of great value against the cap for Dak thus his value would be higher than most on this board understands.
Dak's value is at least partially lowered because the deal would be late in free agency.
A team like the Saints; if they wanted in would have less time to draw vets for a chance to win this year.

Nexx

Reaction score
Dak wasn’t alone in losing that game. The defense gave up 6 TDs on GBs first 7 possessions. We should have cleaned house after that game. Entire coaching staff should have been fired and we should have attempted to trade Dak. I know he holds the cards so far as a trade goes but I think he would have had a lot of tempting teams interested prior to free agency.
Here’s the problem with Dak. The best you can say about him is that he isn’t the problem. Unfortunately, he isn’t the solution either. Hamster wheel. Let’s get off it while we have some really good players on the roster

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I think the last line is possibly correct yet that can change at any given time.

But disagree totally on what a team would offer.
Dallas has zero incentive to do a deal for an R3 this year.
Zero, Zilch, Nada.
That's a non-starter you don't even take that call.
And even if Dak picks his team, it does not mean he would pick the same team in 12 months nor would he do it at the same price if he did once he was an unrestricted free agent.
Plus, you lose the year.
Again, just look at AR and the Jets. That is the framework.

I am sure if Jerry tells France he can seek a trade he will pitch two 1sts as his initial ask.
He won't get that, but teams won't bother calling with an R3.

A team trading for Dak can pay him 55M a year without paying more than 20M in year 1 and more than 30M in year 2 cap hits.
They'd have 2–3 year window of great value against the cap for Dak thus his value would be higher than most on this board understands.
Dak's value is at least partially lowered because the deal would be late in free agency.
A team like the Saints; if they wanted in would have less time to draw vets for a chance to win this year.
Six very quarterback needy teams will be drafting a quarterback in a few weeks. That’s six more teams that will not be considering trading for any quarterback. That hurts Dak’s trade value, further. Three of those QBs will be busts, but by the time their teams come to terms with that Dak will be a free agent. Teams that don’t draft a QB in a few weeks, but feel Dak would be an upgrade, would at best be dealing 2025 draft picks for him, and the odds one of those handful of teams is one Dak desires to go to is slim. There are only a few teams in a position to take on the kind of salary Dak will seek, as it is. Teams will need time to create cap space just to get into the “Dak sweepstakes” even if he were a free agent. It’s too late to engineer a trade for anything significant. As often happens, teams hold on to assets too long. That NTC is a real problem. The Eagles will rue the day they gave Hurts a NTC in his new deal. I’ll bet all top QBs will seek the same going forward, like Tua, and Trevor.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where he comes up short are those games in which he has to put the team on his back and carry them. He's not consistently that guy.

What would be nice is to see him offering a home team 'discount' for a contract extension... that would speak volumes.
He's not that guy either

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
So many factors but I suspect you'd get about what Rodgers did.

Two 2nds and an R1 pick swap ((assuming the received pick isn't higher than mid round; say team was at 8 you likely have to swap but give up a 2nd)). Could be conditions applied to the future 2nd as it was for AR.

Dak's price and ability to pick his own team will limit trade return while his age and 2nd place MVP status will push up trade price.
Ultimately, I think it would land about where Rodgers did.
Receiving team gets a non-Hall of Famer but Pro Bowler with All-Pro status that is definitely a top 10 guy and likely 6-7th best QB.
Not the ceiling of Rodgers but well above the Rodgers floor and likely for twice as long.

Ultimately, I think the key for Dallas is the pick swap piece.
If you are moving Dak you need a day 1 QB ready to roll or you have to tank.
They have too much talent and coaching on hand to tank so you'd at least want an R1 QB and Penix, Jr might be last bet there.
And it's very possible a deal wouldn't be made official until teams were on the clock.
Rogers is a Hall of Fame SuperBowl winning QB....easily one of the 10 best all time QBs ever to play.

Dak isn't one of the 10 best QBs RIGHT NOW... (unless you simply don't care about the postseason, and are just happy with Sept and Oct hype).

Nobody will trade anything for Dak and his giant contract. He's KIRK Cousins, not Aaron Rogers.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Here’s the problem with Dak. The best you can say about him is that he isn’t the problem. Unfortunately, he isn’t the solution either. Hamster wheel. Let’s get off it while we have some really good players on the roster
I get you. They should be trying to trade him. I would be talking to Las Vegas, Minny, Denver, etc about a trade. Of course Dak would have to be onboard thanks to the contract Jerrah gave Dak.

lopey

Reaction score
Get his massive cap hit off the books. Id take a 3-4th