What Cowboys really want is to win Super Bowl using this model

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I believe the Joneses believe that this is the only real sustainable model of building a successful team (and that winning a Super Bowl could result from that). They have scoffed at teams being "all in" (the real way, not the Jones way) and investing heavily to win now, because if it doesn't work, you are stuck in need of tearig it down and rebuilding. They also can point to 12-5 seasons the last three years as evidence of successful team building.

What they fail to do is acknowledge that their philosophy has not resulted in the team making an NFC Championship, much less a Super Bowl, which is the ultimate goal. When you're a GM that doesn't have to worry about job security, you can keep having that goal each year without being concerned about the consequences of not reaching it.

I do think the Jerry wants to win another Super Bowl (not as sure about Stephen) but he just does not have that impetus (the lack of job security) to force him to pivot from a plan that hasn't worked and quit believing that it will work. They fail to acknowledge the fact that Super Bowl champions use all areas of roster building and even if their "all-in" efforts fail, rebuilding doesn't take as long in the cap era.
Soooooooooooooooooo true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Pin pointing to the success of 12 wins seasons is what they're hanging their hats on constantly as if they've had further success, I wish it was more wins in the playoffs, but they see that as progress and progression thus causing them to feel that we can keep on doing what we'd doing which will at least by any means get us 12 wins or so!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The only model that matters (for the FO) is with Jerry Jones as the general manager and owner.

Nothing else matters....

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Sean Payton found Romo. They were both Eastern Illinois grads and he had to beg the Cowboys to get him when he was still available. Parcells played it safe with his guys in Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe.
True but Parcell was the head coach. Romo doesn't the field w/o his blessing. As a matter of fact, I think Payton was HC for the Saints by the time Romo started. I mean I get what you are saying, Payton deserves some credit but so does Parcell.

BTW ......remember Parcell's 10 commandments for Romo?

https://bulanetwork.com/what-can-you-learn-from-bill-parcells-11-quarterback-commandments/

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We spend little, and the teams that have spent largely will have little success, causing them to gloat about themselves and how their way works.

The cowboys would love nothing more than to win the Superbowl this year using this model of team management. If/when we win the big game this year, this will be the way we go forward forever!! Other teams will thank us for this model of team building! Please give your thoughts
They really want to not spend money, if they win thats a bonus. Not a necessity.

LittleD

Reaction score
Any chance they are hoping to move some players at or near the draft?

Go ahead & start collecting picks to reset the roster & cap.
All of their money paid or due would immediately flow to the cap. Would put us over even before we account for draft picks.

LittleD

Reaction score
While you make it sound this way, I don't view Jerry and Stephen having the will or the brains to do this.
Pay attention...This is Jerry's new way of going all in. Clear the decks and full speed ahead. He has his new Romo on deck and ready to go.

LittleD

Reaction score
I'm not sure about this.......extending MM could be part of the overall big picture/plan. Keep in mind, that MM was the Packers HC during the transition from Bret Favre to Rogers. Let's be honest, they NEED a good experienced QB evaluator if they have to move on from Dak, coz they are not good at it. Besides, I'm not Jerry wanna start over with a new QB AND Head Coach. Remember Jimmy drafted Aikman ( he had his doubts initially), Parcell found Romo, and they luck on Dak. My point is extended MM could be more about how well he coaches this season than pure win/loss record.
Mike would want a new 5 year deal which Jerry would never do. There will be other coaches available next season. You clean the decks after a tank.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The model is a great one in theory. Makes sense and would be ideal in a perfect world.

The problem is, and probably why no other team uses it, is that they need to consistently hit on like 4th and 5th rounders to be solid starters and that’s just not realistic.

They haven’t even done all that well in the 2nd and 3rd lately if we are being honest.

How is that all supposed to add up to winning? Their good players are aging and/or walking out the door much faster than they are developing them. Call me negative all you want but that’s an undeniable fact.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
We spend little, and the teams that have spent largely will have little success, causing them to gloat about themselves and how their way works.

The cowboys would love nothing more than to win the Superbowl this year using this model of team management. If/when we win the big game this year, this will be the way we go forward forever!! Other teams will thank us for this model of team building! Please give your thoughts
I will name this Model !!!!

"LESS IS MORE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think your being sarcastic?

What this year is possibly doing is creating alot of cap space for 2025, without restructuring or pushing $ down the road.
As fish said, they could have 50 mil next year without doing anything! Then add in another cap increase and some pushing of $ into future
and they could have 200 mil to spend next season.

So it is possible this is all preparing for something big in 2025 , like get a new HC, and new players , etc.

But no SB this year, this is house cleaning for 2025.

MarkP88

Reaction score
True but Parcell was the head coach. Romo doesn't the field w/o his blessing. As a matter of fact, I think Payton was HC for the Saints by the time Romo started. I mean I get what you are saying, Payton deserves some credit but so does Parcell.

BTW ......remember Parcell's 10 commandments for Romo?

https://bulanetwork.com/what-can-you-learn-from-bill-parcells-11-quarterback-commandments/
Parcells definitely deserves his share of credit for developing Romo. Not just for seeing what Payton saw in him, but in hiring Payton himself. Part of being a great head coach is being able to see coaching talent, and to hire assistants whose talent and word you trust. There's a reason both Payton and Romo still see themselves as Parcells guys.

CWR

Reaction score
My thoughts are that you're joking with this post. You cannot be serious. If the Cowboys win the super bowl this year, I will use toilet water for everything I use water for. Instead of showers, I'll take baths using toilet water. Tacos, toilet water. Making coffee or tea will also utilize the bowl's liquid. My iced tea mix will also use toilet water. I'll even brush my teeth using toilet water to rinse.

I'm so certain that the Cowboys will not win the SB in the 2024 season, if I could bet someone using that as what I'd pay if I lost, they'd only have to pay me 10 bucks when I win. The easiest 10 bucks I'd ever win.
You've got a real potty fetish, my friend.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Yes, Jerry wants to win it his way, and this is his way.

mahoneybill

Reaction score

JJ. Wants to add this to his list of “ I did it my way”

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I will name this Model !!!!

"LESS IS MORE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think your being sarcastic?

What this year is possibly doing is creating alot of cap space for 2025, without restructuring or pushing $ down the road.
As fish said, they could have 50 mil next year without doing anything! Then add in another cap increase and some pushing of $ into future
and they could have 200 mil to spend next season.

So it is possible this is all preparing for something big in 2025 , like get a new HC, and new players , etc.

But no SB this year, this is house cleaning for 2025.
Have all that money and do what with it Max out Micah?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

The cowboys would love nothing more than to win the Superbowl this year using this model of team management.
If/when we win the big game this year, this will be the way we go forward forever!! Other teams will thank us for this model of team building! Please give your thoughts
They can wish in one hand, and ...

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Have all that money and do what with it Max out Micah?
Well we dont know, it looks like they want a new cast of players and coaches.
They could bring in Belichik and let him build a new team with a new QB.

I am waiting to see if they extend dak and lamb this year.
If they do, then not much is changing.
If they dont, then alot could change , like a whole new roster. ( I am in favor of this route)

They could then keep some linemen(tyler smith etc.), maybe parsons, and few others, but there would be a new "core"

If they keep the old core of dak and lamb, there goes the $, like 90 to 100 million , to have really the same team with different
supporting cast, and it will get same results.

I would like to see BB here and see what he can do. give it a shot .

I think what they do concering HC in 25 , is the key. If they get a good one, future could be bright, but if they go with mm again, or zimmer,
nothing will really change.