What did the 49ers see in Lance that proved to be non existent?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's a tough business dude. SOmetimes it's a little bit of luck. Dak starting in 2016 was a little bit of luck and somewhat miraculous. I would say.

I'd rather be a miracle hoper than a miserable negative whiner. So go ahead insult away no worries!
negative miracle whiner? or realistic?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Us Daksessed people? Funny how you don't read my comments about Dak or you would know I (personally) don't want him. He ain't worth the market price let alone what he may be asking... Does that mean I'm on the Lance bandwagon? I haven't seen enough of him to know much about him. I know what people say on here but I haven't seen much of him to have an opinion.
Daksessed as in Anti-Dak. Dak on their mind 24x7x60x60

Chasing6

Reaction score
The people MOST obsessed with protecting Dak at all costs hate Trey. Proven time and time again.
Again it has nothing to do with Trance. I hate the fact we wasted a 4th round pick and $5.3M for a project that will never play. I hate the fact that we have an Owner/GM that makes dumb decision on his own, must likely because if it was discussed, he would not have had the support to make it happen.

Regardless of what he says, the Niners were not in rush to trade him. They wanted the best deal they could get period.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again it has nothing to do with Trance. I hate the fact we wasted a 4th round pick and $5.3M for a project that will never play. I hate the fact that we have an Owner/GM that makes dumb decision on his own, must likely because if it was discussed, he would not have had the support to make it happen.

Regardless of what he says, the Niners were not in rush to trade him. They wanted the best deal they could get period.
But you have a ton of "trey sucks"...so yes...it is.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
on what we saw from lance in preseason or during season its obvious he lacks. he can't read a defense. he is not very accurate. he showed zero elite traits.

his ceiling is top 15 QB in the league.

and if you are going to use Aaron as an example. is it fair to say Payton Manning was 2-4 in the playoffs to start his career?
I've reviewed all 4 of his NFL starts. I watched all of his snaps (multiple times).

The summary is that there is not enough info for anyone to really know what Lance can or cannot achieve.

I've also watched all starts by Jordan Love (GF is a Packers Fan).

Both players future was inconclusive after the first 4 starts.

I didn't see major issues with Lance "reading" defenses or lack of accuracy.

What I saw with Lance was over-confidence in his ability to complete a pass despite tight coverage. He often could clearly see the defender but threw it anyway. It actually worked fairly often because he has a big arm but even the best NFL QBs learn not to attempt those throws on a routine basis. Probability is not in the QB's favor on those.

Lance definitely has more physical talent than Dak and I've been Pro-Dak; although not Pro enough to advocate paying Dak 60M per...

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Trance did not beat out Jimmy G or anyone for that matter. He was given the job due to draft status. If he had won the job, he would have won the backup job to Purdy. They never would have signed Sam Darnold to begin with.

In reality, they had zero faith in Trance and that is why the signed Darnold to begin with.
Lance was drafted in 2021.

JimmyG lost his job to Lance in 2022.

After JimmyG took SF to the NFC Champ game.

Draft status?

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
Issue with 49ers was pretty simple. Timing.
They used that super high pick then immediately made deep playoff runs.
They were no longer in development mode.
Purdy came out wayyy more polished and thus it was over in SF.

Idk if Trey will ever be a decent QB in this league but he was in about as bad a situation as you can be for a highly drafted young rookie.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Issue with 49ers was pretty simple. Timing.
They used that super high pick then immediately made deep playoff runs.
They were no longer in development mode.
Purdy came out wayyy more polished and thus it was over in SF.

Idk if Trey will ever be a decent QB in this league but he was in about as bad a situation as you can be for a highly drafted young rookie.
Lance broke his leg in 2022.

Our for the season.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet people hold that against him like there was something he could do about it. I mean, it's his fault he broke his leg. Right?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lance was drafted in 2021.

JimmyG lost his job to Lance in 2022.

After JimmyG took SF to the NFC Champ game.

Draft status?
Yes draft status!!! After trading 3 number 1's, you can't justify sitting the kid for multiple years.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
He's always done fairly well when blitzed. Any issues he has, it's always when throwing into coverage.
That's because in blitz situations you typically leave someone uncovered for a short period or in man and have a hot read to go to right away if it the blitz is picked up. Dak's problem has always been reading zone and mixed coverages based on it.

chagus

Reaction score
Every professional athlete has raw physical traits, however that does not make them a potential QB.

You have to actually play the position. Trance has less than 500 passing attempts in HS, College and NFL Combined.

Just process that for a moment.
In this case, i meant the physical traits needed to excel at HIS position. Yes, every pro athlete has traits but not all can play certain positions well.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He kept getting hurt.
He sat his first year. Was given the job in year 2. He did not earn it. It was obvious he needed playing time to develop. Then kept getting hurt, which means he could not be developed. Then the Niners punted on 3rd down.

GM Jethro called a fair catch and donated a 4th and $5.3M to the team we are trying to gain ground on.

So basically we lost a 4th and $5.3M and they gained a 4th and $5.3M. So basically we gave the Niners two 4th round pick advantage and $10.6M advantage over us, when we are trying to gain ground them.

This is a Real Men of Genius type of move.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I don't understand any of the Lance downside and when you actually look at it with some clear vision just exactly what was Dallas going to do at that point.
You are not trading for a starting franchise caliber QB unless you are selling the farm, and they were in no position with the draft stock to even entertain the notion
to draft one 2024.
So I ask this sincerely, what other option/s were available? if anyone can name a better one than that just makes for good discussion and its always invited, but I'm just being cereal here peeps, what better option than Lance was available, and let's not even bring up Coops name.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't understand any of the Lance downside and when you actually look at it with some clear vision just exactly what was Dallas going to do at that point.
You are not trading for a starting franchise caliber QB unless you are selling the farm, and they were in no position with the draft stock to even entertain the notion
to draft one 2024.
So I ask this sincerely, what other option/s were available? if anyone can name a better one than that just makes for good discussion and its always invited, but I'm just being cereal here peeps, what better option than Lance was available, and let's not even bring up Coops name.
Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant may I remind you.

kskboys

Reaction score
to draft one 2024.
Minshew was a FA, I think.