What did the 49ers see in Lance that proved to be non existent?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They made Trey Lance the starter for the 2022 season.
- He had a season ending injury early in game 2 (injured after 3 pass attempts).

Purdy proved himself while Lance was out injured.

Nobody knows what Trey Lance can or cannot do with more experience.

It's odd how radically different the situations are for different players.

First 3 seasons:
- Justin Fields got 38 NFL starts despite a win-loss record of 10-28.
- Trey Lance was 2-2 in 4 starts.
- Aaron Rodgers had zero starts.
on what we saw from lance in preseason or during season its obvious he lacks. he can't read a defense. he is not very accurate. he showed zero elite traits.

his ceiling is top 15 QB in the league.

and if you are going to use Aaron as an example. is it fair to say Payton Manning was 2-4 in the playoffs to start his career?

Chasing6

Reaction score
He was raw but has physical traits. Lets just see how it all pans out. Never know until you try.
Every professional athlete has raw physical traits, however that does not make them a potential QB.

You have to actually play the position. Trance has less than 500 passing attempts in HS, College and NFL Combined.

Just process that for a moment.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4th year in the league. hasn't figured out how to read a defense and people think tweaking his throwing motion is going to fix things. oh and he is on the last year of his contract....

what are people hoping for? a miracle?
Can I have your source what MM and staff "tweaked". Not doubting what you say just haven;t seen specifics.
Even Dak works on mechanics. Every player should keep working hard to get better.

Go easy on moving goal posts, you might hurt yourself> People...hope we always look to improve...and sometimes yeah..just might be a miracle. A real fan would hope for it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Can I have your source what MM and staff "tweaked". Not doubting what you say just haven;t seen specifics.
Even Dak works on mechanics. Every player should keep working hard to get better.

Go easy on moving goal posts, you might hurt yourself> People...hope we always look to improve...and sometimes yeah..just might be a miracle. A real fan would hope for it.
A real fan lives in reality and would also have already seen MM comments by now on tweaking his throwing motion.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A real fan lives in reality and would also have already seen MM comments by now on tweaking his throwing motion.
Oh burn. Thank you for the civilized update! Cowboys fans standing together!

"tweaking the throwing motion" eh? According to you it means he never knew how to throw until now,and no other NFL QB works on their throwing mechanics...ever.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Oh burn. Thank you for the civilized update! Cowboys fans standing together!

"tweaking the throwing motion" eh? According to you it means he never knew how to throw until now,and no other NFL QB works on their throwing mechanics...ever.
Big difference between a QB tweaking/experimenting with their throwing in the offense, than a coaching staff telling you have to change yours.

kskboys

Reaction score
on what we saw from lance in preseason or during season its obvious he lacks. he can't read a defense. he is not very accurate. he showed zero elite traits.

his ceiling is top 15 QB in the league.

and if you are going to use Aaron as an example. is it fair to say Payton Manning was 2-4 in the playoffs to start his career?
Not really, because at the start of his career, you didn't have a myriad of teams making the playoffs. As the playoffs expanded, playoff wins got easier.

Who did he lose to w/ those first 4 losses? Was it to a better D team?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not really, because at the start of his career, you didn't have a myriad of teams making the playoffs. As the playoffs expanded, playoff wins got easier.

Who did he lose to w/ those first 4 losses? Was it to a better D team?
so now we are looking for root cause, that it was other teams being better. Manning, the HOFer couldn't overcome?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

what? there was a thread on this already.

what goal post? more like what you do.

and thanks for confirming that all of this is based on a "miracle".... good luck with that. good teams don't base their improvements on miracles....

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big difference between a QB tweaking/experimenting with their throwing in the offense, than a coaching staff telling you have to change yours.
Is that what happened?

You mean...the "great QB guru" mm has been claimed to be...working with a very young QB...with as YOU yourself claimed very limited experience...

is a bad thing, eh?

People...sheesh. :huh::(

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
the comment wasn't about Dak, so not sure why you mention him....but I get it. with you Daksessed people, its Dak 24x7x60x60. all Dak all the time. what are you going to do when he is gone? will you ever post again? or will you cease to exist
Us Daksessed people? Funny how you don't read my comments about Dak or you would know I (personally) don't want him. He ain't worth the market price let alone what he may be asking... Does that mean I'm on the Lance bandwagon? I haven't seen enough of him to know much about him. I know what people say on here but I haven't seen much of him to have an opinion.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what? there was a thread on this already.

what goal post? more like what you do.

and thanks for confirming that all of this is based on a "miracle".... good luck with that. good teams don't base their improvements on miracles....
It's a tough business dude. SOmetimes it's a little bit of luck. Dak starting in 2016 was a little bit of luck and somewhat miraculous. I would say.

I'd rather be a miracle hoper than a miserable negative whiner. So go ahead insult away no worries!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Us Daksessed people? Funny how you don't read my comments about Dak or you would know I (personally) don't want him. He ain't worth the market price let alone what he may be asking... Does that mean I'm on the Lance bandwagon? I haven't seen enough of him to know much about him. I know what people say on here but I haven't seen much of him to have an opinion.
The people MOST obsessed with protecting Dak at all costs hate Trey. Proven time and time again.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
Niner coaches are on record saying lance was going to be their starter but got hurt. And Purdy went in and never let go if the job. It's not that lance wasn't good, just bad timing injury and Purdy took off

Chasing6

Reaction score
Is that what happened?

You mean...the "great QB guru" mm has been claimed to be...working with a very young QB...with as YOU yourself claimed very limited experience...

is a bad thing, eh?

People...sheesh. :huh::(
That is 100% exactly what happened.

Trance having very little experience in HS, College and now the NFL is definitely a bad thing.

MM is not a miracle worker.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is 100% exactly what happened.

Trance having very little experience in HS, College and now the NFL is definitely a bad thing.

MM is not a miracle worker.
We shall see huh?

I once made a bet with someone that said "zeke will never play another down". Cant seem to find him. A lot of people said "tank the season now" when dak went down and coop saved the season. Suddenly nobody said it.

I know your type.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We shall see huh?

I once made a bet with someone that said "zeke will never play another down". Cant seem to find him. A lot of people said "tank the season now" when dak went down and coop saved the season. Suddenly nobody said it.

I know your type.
Funny thing is your examples above are nothing close to Trance.