What did the 49ers see in Lance that proved to be non existent?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Who said it’s non existent. Everything I read on lance coming out of college was prospect with potential, lack of playing time . What prevented playing time 2021 injury. 2022 injury and Brock made lance expendable after that. If he fails after actually getting. Full nfl season and really two seasons ok ( Zack wilson ) but he hasn’t had even half a season and some how he isn’t the same prospect that shannahan traded up for. Not buying into that
yeah but they gave up more than a # 1 pick to get him I think they traded up??
someone here said kyle never wanted him, and lynch drafted him.
Not enough college playing time means he should never have been drafted in the 1st round.

Then SF gave him away for a 4th !

Maybe he has something maybe he doesnt, but they wont know till they play him in real games, and I dont see that happening.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The Cowboys are never going to know what Lance can become if they keep Dak around. And Dak is still with the Cowboys. It’s like the team is in limbo. It’s time to cut Dak loose and make Lance the starter.
Dak is the starting QB this year. All of this was know in advance of GM Jethro's idiotic decision to over pay for Trance.

Now GM Jethro wants to play it out with no QB's on the roster for 2025. There is zero point to sell anything Trance is doing in camp. He is basically not tradeable at this point.

We either want to resign him or we don't. If we do, advertising how good he is, is only going to increase his asking price.

Last edited:

chagus

Reaction score
I think SF has such a great offensive system they have the luxury of choosing which QBs they want. There’s something about Trey Lance they didn’t like.
He was raw but has physical traits. Lets just see how it all pans out. Never know until you try.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Why is Trance Mr. Irrelevant in the NFL after 4 years after getting drafted 3rd overall is the bigger question???
Or your Mr Slak, wanting 60 million a year for choking when the pressure is on.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
yeah but they gave up more than a # 1 pick to get him I think they traded up??
someone here said kyle never wanted him, and lynch drafted him.
Not enough college playing time means he should never have been drafted in the 1st round.

Then SF gave him away for a 4th !

Maybe he has something maybe he doesnt, but they wont know till they play him in real games, and I dont see that happening.
He has played in real games.

He was also their starter.

Took the job from JimmyG.

Broke his leg.

They wanted Purdy. We know how that turned out. Haha

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Dak is the starting QB this year. All of this was know in advance of GM Jethro's idiotic decision to over pay for Trance.

Now GM Jethro wants to play it out with no QB's on the roster for 2025. There is zero point to sell anything Trance is doing in camp. He is basically not tradeable at this point.

We either want to resign him or we don't. If we do, advertising how good he is, is only going to increase his asking price.
JimmyG thought he was the starter too.

Took SF to the NFC champ game in 2021.

Lost his job to Lance in the 2022 training camp.

It’s gonna happen.

Chasing6

Reaction score
JimmyG thought he was the starter too.

Took SF to the NFC champ game in 2021.

Lost his job to Lance in the 2022 training camp.

It’s gonna happen.
Trance did not beat out Jimmy G or anyone for that matter. He was given the job due to draft status. If he had won the job, he would have won the backup job to Purdy. They never would have signed Sam Darnold to begin with.

In reality, they had zero faith in Trance and that is why the signed Darnold to begin with.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I have no idea what they saw in him. QBs like Trey Lance, Mitch Trubisky, Daniel Jones, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, are all questionable picks even to the casual observer. How do experts come to the conclusion these are good picks? Justine Fields and Trey Lance are two examples of first read/run QBs. Why would you even consider them for an NFL QB?
Dak is as well...

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Dak isn't a first read QB. And he doesn't run much. But he does often do that when he's panicked or pressured early on in a game.

The continual flaw I see with Dak is that he's slow to process things post-snap, so he doesn't see zone well and gets tricked by coverage shifts.

Pre-snap, he's as good as any QB out there. If you watch the INT breakdown videos that fans love to post, he always properly identifies the look the defense is showing him, and makes the correct reads based on it. But if his receiver doesn't flash open, or if a safety drops down into robber, etc, then he panics. I actually think he's learned to become so vigilant pre-snap because he knows he'll need the help post-snap.

Flamma

Reaction score
The continual flaw I see with Dak is that he's slow to process things post-snap, so he doesn't see zone well and gets tricked by coverage shifts.

Pre-snap, he's as good as any QB out there. If you watch the INT breakdown videos that fans love to post, he always properly identifies the look the defense is showing him, and makes the correct reads based on it. But if his receiver doesn't flash open, or if a safety drops down into robber, etc, then he panics. I actually think he's learned to become so vigilant pre-snap because he knows he'll need the help post-snap.
Remember that game against Denver a few years back? That's what they did to him all game. They only came out of it after they were up 31-0, allowing us to score 16 points.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He was raw but has physical traits. Lets just see how it all pans out. Never know until you try.
what physical traits does he have that 100 other college QBs don't? he is not accurate. can't read defenses. he can run a little. so maybe switch him to WR or RB as his QB skills are minimal

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's been shown over and over the QB's work on that almost through their whole careers, even Dak.

What's the reason you hate Lance already?
4th year in the league. hasn't figured out how to read a defense and people think tweaking his throwing motion is going to fix things. oh and he is on the last year of his contract....

what are people hoping for? a miracle?