What did the 49ers see in Lance that proved to be non existent?

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
The bottom line for me is if the 49ers can’t mk Trey Lance a decent NFL QB, having some of the best offensive minds, then there’s little chance we can. We could have used that 4th round pick to fill holes in free agency. Most NFL analysts were puzzled by the move but here in Dallas no idea is too insane to entertain, right?
I think it is more like they lucked out and found Purdy , who is probably easily coachable for Shahanan system and just got rid of the dead weight . ( in the process screwed Jerry for 4th rd pick ) I think Lance was injured 1st couple of seasons and so they never tried to make him a better QB, since Purdy was already running with it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The bottom line for me is if the 49ers can’t mk Trey Lance a decent NFL QB, having some of the best offensive minds, then there’s little chance we can. We could have used that 4th round pick to fill holes in free agency. Most NFL analysts were puzzled by the move but here in Dallas no idea is too insane to entertain, right?
Yes....such gurus they spent 3 1st rounders drafting a qb tbey couldnt make a qb.

Does not compute.
Its more likely something else.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has anybody actually asked Lance? With the Shanahans it could have been a clash of egos

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm not defending Lance but how can anyone here provide a statement of success or failure for him ? We've seen him ZERO times on the field for Dallas. How much Trey Lance film does the average Zoner here have in their private film rooms ? Can we at least give him some time as an NFL player before we call him anything? I believe he has what, 5 career starts ? He's a work in progress just like every other QB with his level of experience.
Not really even close to any other QB. Most NFL QB's 99.5% had success in HS, were then recruited to play QB. His own HS Coach said he was a RB.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yep now you get it!
Purdy had a great college career. Started 48 games at Iowa State - good competition. Threw for 12,000+ yards, 81 TD's, 68% and ran for 19 more TD's.

Purdy threw for 4,400 yards, 57 TD's(conference 6A record) and ran for another 10 as a Senior in HS. In 2 years he threw for almost 9,000 yards and 107 TD's.

Not hard to see the difference between an experience QB and athletic potential QB.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Purdy had a great college career. Started 48 games at Iowa State - good competition. Threw for 12,000+ yards, 81 TD's, 68% and ran for 19 more TD's.

Purdy threw for 4,400 yards, 57 TD's(conference 6A record) and ran for another 10 as a Senior in HS. In 2 years he threw for almost 9,000 yards and 107 TD's.

Not hard to see the difference between an experience QB and athletic potential QB.
Why was Purdy Mr. Irreverent then with such a great career?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To be honest we haven't seen enough of him yet to determine anything. This pre-season will be a good indicator tho.
The 49ers certainly saw enough to make a determination. The chances of him developing into a franchise QB are slim and none. I can only think of two QBs who were given up on by their original teams that went on to have great careers. Brett Favre and Steve Young. However, Favre only played a few regular season downs for Atlanta his rookie year.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
To be honest we haven't seen enough of him yet to determine anything. This pre-season will be a good indicator tho.
So let's say he plays lights out like Will Greir did in preseason last year?

Then what? Will Greir is on his 3rd team since then.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Those same 49er coaches who didn't see the value of Dak and didn't draft him in earlier rounds in the 2016 draft?

A bunch of fools they are.
Shannahan has the 49ers in three straight nfc championship appearance so are you suggesting that we have a better offensive coordinator and offensive scheme than the 49ers?

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
No guts no glory and Jerry pulled off this trade himself seemingly.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Like most QBs coming straight from the college game, Lance was ill-prepared to enter the pro game. Also, San Fran wasn't patient in dealing with his raw status. McCarthy was willing to develop him but was also encouraged by his practices thus far. He's due to be thoroughly tested in TC. I hope to see Hohensee get some degree of attention, as well, although, not nearly as much.

Last edited:

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Shannahan has the 49ers in three straight nfc championship appearance so are you suggesting that we have a better offensive coordinator and offensive scheme than the 49ers?
Lol...I'm not saying that at all. Just that they aren't perfect.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The fans of all 32 teams are asking that same question.
Same reason some kids climb the draft board after the combine. Measurables.

Purdy is nothing special to look at.

Under 6'1, short arms, small wing span, small hands, not overly athletic. Ran a 4.85 with a 27 vertical.

Problem is QB is played between the ears. You can't measure that.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
maybe. but we complain about Dak not being able to get over the top and his limitations. now we want to go with another QB that's probably not much better and is about to hit FA next year. is that the right approach to build a championship team? or perhaps sell a lot more jerseys with Lance in the back?

Lance is 6 years younger and 1/3 of the price ??

Don't worry, you can still send Dak a christmas card when he's on the Jets