What did the 49ers see in Lance that proved to be non existent?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The San Francisco 49ers traded up to select Lance with the No. 3 overall pick of the 2021 NFL draft, but he never lived up to expectations.
Some would say he didn't get a fair chance. Either way, does it really matter?

Chasing6

Reaction score
maybe. but we complain about Dak not being able to get over the top and his limitations. now we want to go with another QB that's probably not much better and is about to hit FA next year. is that the right approach to build a championship team? or perhaps sell a lot more jerseys with Lance in the back?
Much better??? He is a crap tone worse.

I would not be surprised if CD could play QB better than Trance. Pretty sure CD is better athlete. He is young with all kinds of potential. He just needs reps as well. They have about the same amount.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm not defending Lance but how can anyone here provide a statement of success or failure for him ? We've seen him ZERO times on the field for Dallas. How much Trey Lance film does the average Zoner here have in their private film rooms ? Can we at least give him some time as an NFL player before we call him anything? I believe he has what, 5 career starts ? He's a work in progress just like every other QB with his level of experience.
It's pretty incredible how a top-3 draft pick has this little playing time at this point in his career. Not sure I've seen anything like it.

There's circumstances, of course, but Trey Lance just needs to play some freaking football.

conner01

Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
You know Tom Brady had his throwing motion changed. It’s not common but it happens. It’s generally more of a follow through adjustment type thing

conner01

Reaction score
He has a lot of raw skills. Injuries and Purdy made him expendable. This is from his draft profile:

Lance has the talent to be a good NFL starter, but given his lack of playing time and development, his pro team will need to be patient in order to not waste the raw talent that Lance possesses.
Lots of players get drafted based on potential and that’s fine but I wouldn’t have traded up to get him like they did

TwentyOne

Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
Well dak isnt THAT bad.

But i admit you have my attention.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I am sure he can run around and be entertaining.( at least until he gets hurt) Remember his infatuation with Johnny Football?
He reportedly was very infatuated with Johnny Football and Jerry got neutered by his son and we got Zack Martin instead. So he has been itching to see that type of qb in Dallas ever since. Why else did Jerry all by himself just reach out and make a trade without others knowing about it?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why do some of our fans think players can't develop?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The bottom line for me is if the 49ers can’t mk Trey Lance a decent NFL QB, having some of the best offensive minds, then there’s little chance we can. We could have used that 4th round pick to fill holes in free agency. Most NFL analysts were puzzled by the move but here in Dallas no idea is too insane to entertain, right?
Sometimes it isn't about the best offensive minds. It's about time and work. Lance entered the pros with not a lot of playing time in his college career. Then, he didn't get a lot of playing time as a pro because of injury and Purdy taking the reigns. The 49ers never should have spent a first-round pick on a player with so little experience, but that doesn't mean he can't develop, even under our inferior offensive minds.

StarLord

Reaction score
I have no idea what they saw in him. QBs like Trey Lance, Mitch Trubisky, Daniel Jones, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, are all questionable picks even to the casual observer. How do experts come to the conclusion these are good picks? Justine Fields and Trey Lance are two examples of first read/run QBs. Why would you even consider them for an NFL QB?
Their job is to drum up excitement, be it real or imagined. The next bright and shiny objects generate $$$.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are correct and what they have seen is bad. However he is a great kid, works hard and is a good athlete. Pretty sure there are thousands of kids out there that meet those requirements. Unfortunately those things alone don't make you an NFL QB.
And posting on the internet does not make one a great talent scout or coaching expert. Based on minimal information.
Only based on some very limited game film.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So let's say he plays lights out like Will Greir did in preseason last year?

Then what? Will Greir is on his 3rd team since then.
Grier had one great PS game. All his others he did not look as great.
Dallas most likely game planned some of that to showcase him.

This is not a good example for comparison or an analogy.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Grier had one great PS game. All his others he did not look as great.
Dallas most likely game planned some of that to showcase him.

This is not a good example for comparison or an analogy.
You don't think we will try to to set Trance up for success?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't think we will try to to set Trance up for success?
Different situation. They already knew Grier was going to be released. They were show casing him.

Lanice will get the usual,PS game experience. So they can see what he can do under different circumstances.
Like when it should be a run, but they pass, like on a 3rd and 1.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What Trey Lance has needed more than anything else is actual experience in playing and developing as a QB. He'll get it this year in TC and perhaps beyond. Whether he qualifies for a spot as a #2 backup to replace Cooper Rush remains to be seen. Otherwise, he'll be waivered or possibly traded to another NFL team. I wish him well.

Brooksey

Reaction score
It's very simple, he's much more mobile then Dak and has a stronger arm. He's just a young guy with no experience