What did the 49ers see in Lance that proved to be non existent?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
Then NEXT till we find the "One"....................

Hadenough

Reaction score
The bottom line for me is if the 49ers can’t mk Trey Lance a decent NFL QB, having some of the best offensive minds, then there’s little chance we can. We could have used that 4th round pick to fill holes in free agency. Most NFL analysts were puzzled by the move but here in Dallas no idea is too insane to entertain, right?
I laugh at the ones who keep talking about Lance needing a full training camp and pre season. If Lance had any potential, or if he just shown little flashes of something special there is no way in the world the 49ers would of traded him. Especially to Dallas. But knowing that he was never going to be special why not send him to Dallas.

jwitten82

Reaction score
The bottom line for me is if the 49ers can’t mk Trey Lance a decent NFL QB, having some of the best offensive minds, then there’s little chance we can. We could have used that 4th round pick to fill holes in free agency. Most NFL analysts were puzzled by the move but here in Dallas no idea is too insane to entertain, right?
Bingo!!! If he couldn't thrive in thst situation, the what the hell makes people think he'll be better in this circus

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
To be honest we haven't seen enough of him yet to determine anything. This pre-season will be a good indicator tho.
the cupboard is not empty as they say. there is actual NFL film. there is actual practice film and people in the NFL talk to each other. so there is NFL evidence of it. now, its not a lot, but if he had any talent. then it would show. the fact he has shown nothing at all, is quite concerning and telling.

what you said is just wishful thinking.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Who said it’s non existent. Everything I read on lance coming out of college was prospect with potential, lack of playing time . What prevented playing time 2021 injury. 2022 injury and Brock made lance expendable after that. If he fails after actually getting. Full nfl season and really two seasons ok ( Zack wilson ) but he hasn’t had even half a season and some how he isn’t the same prospect that shannahan traded up for. Not buying into that
every player drafted has potential. that's why they get drafted. then you watch them in NFL, in practices, pre-season and actual NFL games. if he was talented, then it would show. he has struggled and now in his 4th year having to learn throwing motion to help him with accuracy....that alone will take at least two years before it may feel natural to him.

and in his limited play time, he showed the game is too big for him. he can't read defenses. he is not accurate. so what's so good? how much time does he need to show at least some value? this is year 4. he went from being top 3, to #3 on his team. I mean if he had any talent, and needed time, they wouldn't have traded for another failed first rounder to be their back up. that's telling.

and telltale signs are there. why waste time like Jets did with Wilson and just hoping he can figure it out.

so yeah, he is not talented. he will never be elite. his ceiling is at most after a few years a good QB (top 15). which is what we already have. why waste time?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The hate for this kid is just stupid.
SF knew they found their guy with Purdy. There was no need to keep Lance and his 1st rd pick salary. This kid is low on experience not on talent. Could we have gotten him for a 5 or a 6? Maybe. BFD. Let the kid throw a &-$! Pass or two before you have a stroke.
well, why didn't they just make him the 2nd string QB? why did they trade or pick up another failed first rounder to be back up? the 5th year option is costly, but anything before that is very reasonable, specially that the bonuses had already been paid out and count against the cap anyway.

and its funny, everyone says the kid has no experience, lacks playing time, blah blah blah. so why is he worth it to invest in again? that just describes 100s of other QBs coming out of college.

no one is having a stroke, except for trancers. its pretty much known he is nothing special. his ceiling is low and now they are trying to change his throwing motion because he is not accurate!!! go figure.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Those same 49er coaches who didn't see the value of Dak and didn't draft him in earlier rounds in the 2016 draft?

A bunch of fools they are.
not sure what that means? by the same token they didn't see value of purdy and waited until the very last pick of the draft to take him.

shabazz

Reaction score
Most 1st round QBs fail. It’s not just Lance that struggled to make the transition to the NFL. There’s a hundred reasons why
Going to a bad franchise is usually one of the main reasons 1st round qbs fail. Chicago has proven that many times over but San Fran is not one of those

He had a superior support system there.....which is why I'm skeptical of him

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He has a lot of raw skills. Injuries and Purdy made him expendable. This is from his draft profile:

Lance has the talent to be a good NFL starter, but given his lack of playing time and development, his pro team will need to be patient in order to not waste the raw talent that Lance possesses.
what Raw skills does he have? people keep throwing that around. 100s of college QBs have raw skills.

Lance doesn't have the talent. he was over drafted. he had limited playing experience in high school and then college. he played in small schools.
people figured out watching him practice, pre-season and NFL games that he just doesn't have it. yeah he didn't get to play full season, but it looked like a lot of struggle with him in the games he played and really didn't improve or dominate in any one area.

his ceiling is really low. if there was a draft today, he wouldn't go until 6th or 7th round.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
He’s played 4 games.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
well, why didn't they just make him the 2nd string QB? why did they trade or pick up another failed first rounder to be back up? the 5th year option is costly, but anything before that is very reasonable, specially that the bonuses had already been paid out and count against the cap anyway.

and its funny, everyone says the kid has no experience, lacks playing time, blah blah blah. so why is he worth it to invest in again? that just describes 100s of other QBs coming out of college.

no one is having a stroke, except for trancers. its pretty much known he is nothing special. his ceiling is low and now they are trying to change his throwing motion because he is not accurate!!! go figure.
Why make him a second string qb on a 1st rd pick salary?. You have no idea what his ceiling is so relax and see what he can do. None of us do.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think it's hilarious when people keep saying this no who got fleas with the San Francisco 49ers literally gave up three first for him even if he's a project that could turn out to be more long term like Geno Smith was a late bloomer it happens but to say we got fleas for 1/4 rounder no the 49ers with their greatness with the GM and the genius at coach and all the things they do well in 40 niner land they literally got fleeced because they moved up and gave up three first round picks having all ohh I should say very little tape on the guy they knew who he was and they took him anyway who gives up three first rounders for the guy you just described not Jerry, Jerry doesn't move up to take somebody in the top five that should have never been picked in the first place..

They use a fourth rounder to kick the tires good bad or indifferent it is not being fleeced the 49ers got fleeced period end of story they got lucky to get Brock Purdy or they'd be hurting right now and yes it was locked when you pick a guy last in the draft or undrafted and they turn out to be that good it's an accident they got lucky but the 49ers made the mistake the cowboys saw an opportunity that's possibly make him into something.. and there's nothing wrong with that..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Most 1st round QBs fail. It’s not just Lance that struggled to make the transition to the NFL. There’s a hundred reasons why
I appreciate alternate view, but my take is this guy is way off base the team that made the biggest mistake was the 49ers and they got bailed out by their lucky pick of Brock Purdy if not they'd be known as the team who gave up three first round picks for a possible bust the Cowboys gave up a fourth rounder and hopes that they could turn him into something there's nothing wrong with that really I'd prefer it to be 1/5 but you never know geno smith was a late bloomer, this guy could turn out to be something we don't know how about we give it a chance find out before we say this was a stupid move...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Going to a bad franchise is usually one of the main reasons 1st round qbs fail. Chicago has proven that many times over but San Fran is not one of those

He had a superior support system there.....which is why I'm skeptical of him
That’s my position as well.

A quarterback could not ask for a better situation than San Francisco.

Great defense, great running game, great receiving talent, great offensive line.

A quarterback doesn’t have to win games for them, he just has to not lose them.

Purdy as Mr Irrelevant is the perfect example of that.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
That just shows the Dak effect. 4th round picks to this message board is like trading away first round picks. Humor me, what valuable 4th round player did the Cowboys miss on (probably running back) by trading for Lance. You hope you never have to use Lance because Dak remains healthy and hopefully he signs an extension but you never know and the Cowboys certainly have one of best quarterback rooms in the NFL now. Top 10 starter check, veteran backup that has won games check, and a toolsy 2nd round grade young gun. You could not ask for more out your quarterback room.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why make him a second string qb on a 1st rd pick salary?. You have no idea what his ceiling is so relax and see what he can do. None of us do.
you have no idea what his ceiling is, you are just clicking your heels three times wishing you were in Kansas.

its abundantly obvious he was over drafted. SF gave up on him quickly and moved on.

NFL game tape, preseason game tape and most importantly, people who watch him at practice and probably talk to each other around the NFL, have probably seen enough. all evidence shows he is struggling. the fact that now, in year 4, they are trying to change his throwing motion, due to inaccuracy issues is a huge telltale sign onto itself.

and cap hit, vs. Salary. most people don't have a clue of the difference. Rush has a 3M cap hit. Lance a 5M cap hit. not atypical of a backup QB. last year's cap hit? 1M...SF took the hit the first two years.

so why keep a 2nd string qb on a 1st round salary? depends on the cap hit. learn the difference.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That just shows the Dak effect. 4th round picks to this message board is like trading away first round picks. Humor me, what valuable 4th round player did the Cowboys miss on (probably running back) by trading for Lance. You hope you never have to use Lance because Dak remains healthy and hopefully he signs an extension but you never know and the Cowboys certainly have one of best quarterback rooms in the NFL now. Top 10 starter check, veteran backup that has won games check, and a toolsy 2nd round grade young gun. You could not ask for more out your quarterback room.
I agree no draft pick is guaranteed and 4th isnt throwing away much if you dont have player already proven could have been better, and using a fourth rounder and a guy like lance isnt a big deal too me.. yeah, three first round picks are insane. that premier organization over there actually made a huge mistake and all we could talk about is jerry...