What do any of us really know

hendog86

Reaction score
I was one of the few who really liked the Frederick pick in 2013. But even I wanted to pick him with the 2nd round pick. We found out later that the Ravens were planning on taking Frederick with the 32nd pick, so the Cowboys did the right thing in getting their man. This year, I really wanted the Cowboys to pick Trysten Hill, but with the 3rd round pick. But I was worried he wouldn't last to #90.

Jerry Jones said a very interesting thing in the post 3rd round press conference. He said the Cowboys were seriously looking at only 7 players for pick #58, and 5 of those players were picked in the first round. 2 lasted until pick #58, and if they had not picked Hill, they would have picked a safety. So, the Cowboys only had 1 safety remaining on the board they were seriously looking at for the 58th pick yesterday.

As for the Safeties, I don't think the Cowboys were seriously interested in picking a guy at Free safety because they really like Xavier Woods, who Stephen Jones recently said is better than they expected/ That rules out players like Darnell Savage, Nasir Adderly, Chauncey Gardner Johnson, and Juan Thornhill. I think if Trysten Hill had been picked ahead of #58, Taylor Rapp would have been the pick. It's just that the Cowboys were looking harder at Dline than we thought they were. I wonder who the other players drafted in Round 1, who the Cowboys thought might last until pick #58.

I think they were likely looking at Jeffrey Simmons, Dexter Lawrence and L.J. Collier on the Dline, and I know they were looking at Jonathan Abram at Safety. Not sure who the other player might be. Maybe RB Josh Jacobs, or CB Deandre Baker.

Actually the pick would’ve been Thornhill if they went safety. They’ve already admitted to such.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The need help at DT for sure. I just think Hill was a reach. Could have likely got him with the third. Still, he will help. Talent is there just need to screw that head on tighter. McGovern is a good pick. Williams is clearly not a guard and Collins was terrible. I hear about cutting Collins. Fans do that a lot but I believe he actually has trade value. I hope they don’t cut him. McGovern is going to be good. It would not shock me to see the switch done this season.

That Heath May be a starter again is too much for the mind to handle. I think the guy is terrible. I fully expect a 4th on a safety. I expect these last 4 picks will be S, CB and RB. I am better than 50/50 a trade is coming.

Hill was a reach but building strength in the trenches is a good thing.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was one of the few who really liked the Frederick pick in 2013. But even I wanted to pick him with the 2nd round pick. We found out later that the Ravens were planning on taking Frederick with the 32nd pick, so the Cowboys did the right thing in getting their man. This year, I really wanted the Cowboys to pick Trysten Hill, but with the 3rd round pick. But I was worried he wouldn't last to #90.

Jerry Jones said a very interesting thing in the post 3rd round press conference. He said the Cowboys were seriously looking at only 7 players for pick #58, and 5 of those players were picked in the first round. 2 lasted until pick #58, and if they had not picked Hill, they would have picked a safety. So, the Cowboys only had 1 safety remaining on the board they were seriously looking at for the 58th pick yesterday.

As for the Safeties, I don't think the Cowboys were seriously interested in picking a guy at Free safety because they really like Xavier Woods, who Stephen Jones recently said is better than they expected/ That rules out players like Darnell Savage, Nasir Adderly, Chauncey Gardner Johnson, and Juan Thornhill. I think if Trysten Hill had been picked ahead of #58, Taylor Rapp would have been the pick. It's just that the Cowboys were looking harder at Dline than we thought they were. I wonder who the other players drafted in Round 1, who the Cowboys thought might last until pick #58.

I think they were likely looking at Jeffrey Simmons, Dexter Lawrence and L.J. Collier on the Dline, and I know they were looking at Jonathan Abram at Safety. Not sure who the other player might be. Maybe RB Josh Jacobs, or CB Deandre Baker.
A lot of war rooms got derailed and had to adjust their boards as happens every year. I do not recall one pick as a BPA one in the first or second. Even the Mad Scientist in NE went for need.

I do wonder with the advent of FA if BPA even exists until rounds 6 and 7 of the draft? You would think it would be the opposite as the Cowboys addressed DE, S and WR in FA but it was still all about DT or S at 58.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The need help at DT for sure. I just think Hill was a reach. Could have likely got him with the third. Still, he will help. Talent is there just need to screw that head on tighter. McGovern is a good pick. Williams is clearly not a guard and Collins was terrible. I hear about cutting Collins. Fans do that a lot but I believe he actually has trade value. I hope they don’t cut him. McGovern is going to be good. It would not shock me to see the switch done this season.

That Heath May be a starter again is too much for the mind to handle. I think the guy is terrible. I fully expect a 4th on a safety. I expect these last 4 picks will be S, CB and RB. I am better than 50/50 a trade is coming.

It's not a reach if that player is the target. Just like Jones at 6 looks like a reach to me but not to the Giants.

Parcells view of draft positions and reaches was the best because he could care less. It was all about getting the player you want, doesn't matter where he's picked.

You will probably get your wish for a S in the 4th but that doesn't mean he beats out Heath. Posters who do not like Heath, do they watch his play for entire games or just single out poor plays. That's like saying Prescott is inaccurate, that statement is inaccurate because he is inconsistently accurate and can make some dime throws but too many point out the misses as the measurement.

Is Heath the weakest link in the D chain? The D coaching staff doesn't seem to think so or they would have gone S, maybe even moved up for one, with that 58th pick. Heath would be a better S with a better pass rush and the Cowboys have had a mediocre one.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
So for humor this morning I spent time ready through a thread from last years draft. I am lmao at all the same draft exports on this board who was complaining about LVE is now complaining about Hill. I laugh all the time at uninformed experts. We don’t have the tools, resources or expertise as a NFL team but yet we still form an opinion on very little substance.

There are a lot of familiar names in this thread and most are here again this year whining about our pics.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/you-know-everything-really-does-point-to-lve.401549/

Thats-Gold-Jerry-Gold-Kenny-Bania-Seinfeld-Quote.gif

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
So for humor this morning I spent time ready through a thread from last years draft. I am lmao at all the same draft exports on this board who was complaining about LVE is now complaining about Hill. I laugh all the time at uninformed experts. We don’t have the tools, resources or expertise as a NFL team but yet we still form an opinion on very little substance.

There are a lot of familiar names in this thread and most are here again this year whining about our pics.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/you-know-everything-really-does-point-to-lve.401549/

This is what I know PCF. There will always be whiners whining and dining out on fanzone. Whiner whiner chicken diner :muttley:

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
We all have moments of being right and wrong. I specially posted on FB don’t draft Taco 2 years ago and did the same thing for LVE last year. So I was ofcourse pissed that we took both. Right once wrong once. That’s about most of us when it comes to the draft

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I hated the Dak pick and I was wrong. How wrong is TBD. I liked the LVE pick. Don't remember what I thought of the Frederick pick but I don't think I was against it as we needed to build that OL. I loved the Zeke pick. My biggest mistake was being against the Martin pick and wanting Johnny Manzel. so yea. lol

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"What do any of us really know?" Good question. I don't know a lot when it comes to the draft. I wish I knew why our front office is so averse to drafting a safety in the higher rounds. I have been longing for a great safety ever since Woodson retired.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
They need help at DT for sure. I just think Hill was a reach. Could have likely got him with the third. Still, he will help. Talent is there just need to screw that head on tighter. McGovern is a good pick. Williams is clearly not a guard and Collins was terrible. I hear about cutting Collins. Fans do that a lot but I believe he actually has trade value. I hope they don’t cut him. McGovern is going to be good. It would not shock me to see the switch done this season.

That Heath may be a starter again is too much for the mind to handle. I think the guy is terrible. I fully expect a 4th on a safety.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
It's not a reach if that player is the target. Just like Jones at 6 looks like a reach to me but not to the Giants.

Parcells view of draft positions and reaches was the best because he could care less. It was all about getting the player you want, doesn't matter where he's picked.

You will probably get your wish for a S in the 4th but that doesn't mean he beats out Heath. Posters who do not like Heath, do they watch his play for entire games or just single out poor plays. That's like saying Prescott is inaccurate, that statement is inaccurate because he is inconsistently accurate and can make some dime throws but too many point out the misses as the measurement.

Is Heath the weakest link in the D chain? The D coaching staff doesn't seem to think so or they would have gone S, maybe even moved up for one, with that 58th pick. Heath would be a better S with a better pass rush and the Cowboys have had a mediocre one.

I watch all the games. Closely. Heath takes bad angles. He is a terrible tackler. Always coming in high. He also showed a lack of desire to tackle this year. Often out of position. Bad instincts. A decent athlete but not a starting S. His rodeo ride tackles this past season were embarrassing.

As for Hill. I like the pick. If they did target him, move down. He could have been had later.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
The difference is LB was a potential need due to Sean Lee’s health issues, and even if healthy he could slide to any of the 3 lb slots.

Due to the talent you already have at their positions, If Trysten Hill’s attitude problems persist and he still doesn’t take football seriously, it’s entirley possible none of your picks before day three play significant time on their rookie contracts.

But I’m sure Connor will look great on special teams
Why are you here? Do you not have a board to discuss your team and what they are doing? You sorta semi-trolling our board got old a long time ago. You don't go overboard like some other Eagles posters, but still, why are you here so often?

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Bingo.... a bunch of "Draft Experts." Bottom line is we have no idea who will and will will not be a good pick. Anyone remember when the knicks drafted Kiristaps Porzingas? Knicks fans were going nuts, booing mercilessly. Well..... that Porzingas kid turned out to be pretty damn good. IM sure Seattle fans were ecstatic when Russel Wilson was drafted, right??????? Same with the guys on TV.. they all talk, but in the end, its all a crap shoot..... ALL OF IT.

Remember when Payton Manning was drafted? There was actually serious debate on he should go one or Ryan Leif. Every team would have been happy to have Leif.... and he sucked.
Its the same stuff every year. Ill go with our front office.... they have been drafting very well.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Why are you here? Do you not have a board to discuss your team and what they are doing? You sorta semi-trolling our board got old a long time ago. You don't go overboard like some other Eagles posters, but still, why are you here so often?

Give him some credit. Takes guts. Also the mean IQ of a Cowboys fan is a least 20 pct higher so I understand. Could you imagine trading ideas with Eagles fans on a regular basis. That would be frustrating. Like trying to talk sense to a 5 year old or bartering with an indigenous tribe.

KingLerxst

Reaction score
I see a lot of people saying. Hill could have been had later. But no one knows that for sure. We saw war room shots of Stephen and others off and on the phone. Studying what looked to be a trade chart for a good 30 minutes up until they picked. Were they trying to trade down and couldn’t get a decent offer? Possibly. But they ended up not having another pick until 90. And I’d almost guarantee some other team would have risked a 3rd rounder on what many considered was the best remaining DT left. And agree or not. They clearly valued DT over Safety as a need.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
There’s only about 10-15% on here that have any kind of idea. The other 80% seem to just always throw out how they want the sexiest WR/DB name available and if they don’t draft him prepare for *****ing. Go back and read how LVE is “ soft” and “non-athletic” and “Bobby Carpenter”. 80% -85% have no clue.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

do you think we will draft a RB will be in rd 6 or 7? There has to be a good back out ther that late. When did the steelers get Williams... I think that is his name, the RB that started last year with Bell sitting.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Give him some credit. Takes guts. Also the mean IQ of a Cowboys fan is a least 20 pct higher so I understand. Could you imagine trading ideas with Eagles fans on a regular basis. That would be frustrating. Like trying to talk sense to a 5 year old or bartering with an indigenous tribe.
I just don't get it. I look at opposing team's boards occasionally but I wouldn't troll them. I have to work and stuff.