What do any of us really know

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Agree, I am a college football hound and have missed on so many "can't miss" players that I stopped doing that.

Our challenge, because we are not coaches or scouts, is to evaluate any player separate from his team and they still make those mistakes as the Cowboys did with Claiborne, Spears and Charleton. And I think some of those prized Clemson DL are going to disappoint as they played as a unit so well, just like Bama DL players do.
Appreciate this so much. The Dude...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no problem with value Oline picks. Need to keep that our strength and there will always be turnover. Williams has a lot to prove THIS year.
And that was the rap on him last year, they knew going in he would have to get stronger to play OL in the NFL and he was a natural T playing at G.

He may end up being a good find for the future but his challenge is exactly why most coaches would not play rookie OL before they were ready back in the day. Williams was not ready to play G in the NFL with the team missing it's PB Center. Yosemite would have been invaluable for Williams on the field and I look forward to seeing how he improves this season because the desire and motivation are there, this is the team he wanted to play for and I do not underestimate the value of that. But he wasn't playing from a position of strength last season and still blocked for the leading rusher in the NFL so there is that.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I don’t know that this wasn’t a fair assessment. Trolling is a stretch

I agree. I don't think I've ever seen you troll our board. You're welcome here, as far as I'm concerned. As for why you're here? It's obvious: the 'Boys are just more interesting than the Eagles. You should come out of the closet and just admit you like them better.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So for humor this morning I spent time ready through a thread from last years draft. I am lmao at all the same draft exports on this board who was complaining about LVE is now complaining about Hill. I laugh all the time at uninformed experts. We don’t have the tools, resources or expertise as a NFL team but yet we still form an opinion on very little substance.

There are a lot of familiar names in this thread and most are here again this year whining about our pics.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/you-know-everything-really-does-point-to-lve.401549/
Look up the thread that says Garrett sucks.........lol.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
do you think we will draft a RB will be in rd 6 or 7? There has to be a good back out ther that late. When did the steelers get Williams... I think that is his name, the RB that started last year with Bell sitting.

James Conner was the back. They got him in the third Round. Not sure when they take a back. My guess is one of the 4s. Just a guess. I predict you will see RB and secondary get attention today.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree. I don't think I've ever seen you troll our board. You're welcome here, as far as I'm concerned. As for why you're here? It's obvious: the 'Boys are just more interesting than the Eagles. You should come out of the closet and just admit you like them better.
I see nothing wrong with opponents in this forum who openly express their fandom which in this case is the Eagles. I’m just not usually as interested in their take on our team. But at least it’s better than members posing as Cowboy fans.

links18

Reaction score
So for humor this morning I spent time ready through a thread from last years draft. I am lmao at all the same draft exports on this board who was complaining about LVE is now complaining about Hill. I laugh all the time at uninformed experts. We don’t have the tools, resources or expertise as a NFL team but yet we still form an opinion on very little substance.

There are a lot of familiar names in this thread and most are here again this year whining about our pics.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/you-know-everything-really-does-point-to-lve.401549/

Might as well shut down the board, if we can't express uninformed opinions based on armchair assessments. Its kind of what we do here.....

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I don’t know that this wasn’t a fair assessment. Trolling is a stretch
Ok, I'm still trying to understand why you're here? And I said semi-trolling because you do offer some good points but others are obviously trolling. I just want to understand your mindset because I wouldn't do it.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's great to have an opinion on players, it's a Cowboys forum after all, but the confidence some posters have in their player evaluations makes me chuckle.
I find it just as curious when people critiques a certain player and they really know nothing about the player. Even if they know a little it's nothing. It takes years to know what you really have how's it going to jail with the team the culture around them. I'll take a football player over a money player any day of the week. And I think that's what we have here a football player. I love the bull in China shop

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ok, I'm still trying to understand why you're here? And I said semi-trolling because you do offer some good points but others are obviously trolling. I just want to understand your mindset because I wouldn't do it.
I believe I'm just learning the definition of trolling. I think it's somebody who just berates or disagrees on purpose. Never takes a point of view is always the opposite.. at least that's what I think it is

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Do you think the coaching staff might watch the games and specifically questionable players a little closer. I am not arguing your evaluation of him because I have not focused on him but if he's as bad as some feel he is, how does he keep that job? These [players get graded out after every game and the film doesn't lie.

What I don't get is if he's that bad, why does Richard put up with him when his name is on that secondary? Wouldn't he be pushing for them to move up and get him a new and better S instead of waiting to take a DT at 58?

I have the tendency to lean in the coach's direction on players and I do believe they all have input along with the scouts in these picks. There's no assurance that if they'd taken a S at 58 that he would have beaten Heath out.

The other thing I do, Wj, and this is not aimed at you at all, is discount these opinions that are over the top either direction on these players. They aren't saints or sinners to me.

As far as waiting for Hill, in any draft there is no assurance your guy will be there. If you targeted him and want him, especially if 5 of the 7 targets are gone, you take him. I am sure they went 7 deep because they knew some would be gone but they probably felt they would not be down to 2.

You think this coaching staff deserves that kind of respect? I like Richard but the rest of them have a dubious record. I am a Marinelli supporter but we must agree that his reputation was built coaching a defense that had 3 HOFers, one at every level. Plus Rice was a great player too. We will have to agree to disagree on Heath. I am just an armchair coach but have been a fan for almost 40 years. I watched a ton of Cowboys football and I have always thought Heath was a terrible S. Has some value as a bench guy and special teamer but no way a S. His play vs the Rams was a disgrace.

As for Hill I hear you. I am not freaking out like others. I think he may be sneaky good. Trading down 5-10 picks could have still landed him and got you another 3 or 4. Not going crazy about though.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
The need help at DT for sure. I just think Hill was a reach. Could have likely got him with the third. Still, he will help. Talent is there just need to screw that head on tighter. McGovern is a good pick. Williams is clearly not a guard and Collins was terrible. I hear about cutting Collins. Fans do that a lot but I believe he actually has trade value. I hope they don’t cut him. McGovern is going to be good. It would not shock me to see the switch done this season.

That Heath May be a starter again is too much for the mind to handle. I think the guy is terrible. I fully expect a 4th on a safety. I expect these last 4 picks will be S, CB and RB. I am better than 50/50 a trade is coming.

Hill was a reach but building strength in the trenches is a good thing.

At least Tre Boston is still a free agent. Would probably sign for peanuts at this point.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
There’s only about 10-15% on here that have any kind of idea. The other 80% seem to just always throw out how they want the sexiest WR/DB name available and if they don’t draft him prepare for *****ing. Go back and read how LVE is “ soft” and “non-athletic” and “Bobby Carpenter”. 80% -85% have no clue.

There are 0% that have any kind of idea. You don't know what a guys mind and heart is made of until you spend some time with them.

superonyx

Reaction score
I was one of the few who really liked the Frederick pick in 2013. But even I wanted to pick him with the 2nd round pick. We found out later that the Ravens were planning on taking Frederick with the 32nd pick, so the Cowboys did the right thing in getting their man. This year, I really wanted the Cowboys to pick Trysten Hill, but with the 3rd round pick. But I was worried he wouldn't last to #90.

Jerry Jones said a very interesting thing in the post 3rd round press conference. He said the Cowboys were seriously looking at only 7 players for pick #58, and 5 of those players were picked in the first round. 2 lasted until pick #58, and if they had not picked Hill, they would have picked a safety. So, the Cowboys only had 1 safety remaining on the board they were seriously looking at for the 58th pick yesterday.

As for the Safeties, I don't think the Cowboys were seriously interested in picking a guy at Free safety because they really like Xavier Woods, who Stephen Jones recently said is better than they expected/ That rules out players like Darnell Savage, Nasir Adderly, Chauncey Gardner Johnson, and Juan Thornhill. I think if Trysten Hill had been picked ahead of #58, Taylor Rapp would have been the pick. It's just that the Cowboys were looking harder at Dline than we thought they were. I wonder who the other players drafted in Round 1, who the Cowboys thought might last until pick #58.

I think they were likely looking at Jeffrey Simmons, Dexter Lawrence and L.J. Collier on the Dline, and I know they were looking at Jonathan Abram at Safety. Not sure who the other player might be. Maybe RB Josh Jacobs, or CB Deandre Baker.
What was it about Hill that made you want him?
To be honest. I’ve never heard of him until we drafted him. Based on stats, a few game clips and his personality issues. I have no idea what anyone sees in him.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I believe I'm just learning the definition of trolling. I think it's somebody who just berates or disagrees on purpose. Never takes a point of view is always the opposite.. at least that's what I think it is
Right on, Couldn't agree more. We all have opinions that should be accepted as that.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There are 0% that have any kind of idea. You don't know what a guys mind and heart is made of until you spend some time with them.
I train with a two times Super Bowl running back. Does that mean I know what I'm talkin about . doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talkin about . I'm a football player type guy. not a money player. This is about opinions. And nobody's wrong. If you stated a fact . that's when you better get it right. Because Cowboy fans know their football. When it comes to factual statements

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What was it about Hill that made you want him?
To be honest. I’ve never heard of him until we drafted him. Based on stats, a few game clips and his personality issues. I have no idea what anyone sees in him.
I knew nothing about Hill. But I loved the quote bull in a china shop I understand he's a football player. And I'm old school and I hope he just turns out to be that I know the response wasn't towards be just giving my opinion if he's anything like the first-round linebacker last season I'm all in. I don't care where anyone was drafted in this draft Pick 3 Seasons to figure out the culture he'll bring to the locker room that Talent. He'll bring to the field. You just don't know. What motivates a player