What do u guys think about Wades Blitzing scheme?

dfense

Reaction score
They sacked Brady three times. He was sacked three times all year up until sunday.

khiladi

Reaction score
Put it this way:

After the first half, Bellicheck went into max-protect mode, and brought another tight-end in to assist in stalling the pressure. If pressure wasn't an issue, Bellichek would have ignored the defensive line.

Bellichek also tried to counteract the aggressiveness by running a couple of screens, and many of the plays Brady made were simple dink-and-dunks and 3 step drops.

Sacks isn't even the real thing, when it comes down to it, thoguht the 3 sacks adds to the argument. It is how Bellicehk totally tried to nulify pressure by bringing in another tight-end to block. That, and the Patriots line gets away with plenty of holding, push to the backs, and cheap shots to the knees.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
juckie;1715412 said:
I am not very impressed.Not many fake stunts or disguises.Watch the steelers when they play NE,lebeau will fake and drop guys,etc....he confuses captain america.I do feel on the other hand its early and takes tme to grasp a new system sometimes a year or two.

Largely, the scheme is not working.
But that is the least of the secondary's worries.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I love what they are doing with the blitzes. They got much more pressure on Brady than have other teams. And those blitzes will be the undoing of many of the offenses that the Cowboys face from here on out.

I don't blame the Cowboys loss on the blitzes. Penalties, mental errors, etc. (on both sides of the ball) played a much bigger role.

thekavorka

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the point of blitzing if our corners are like 10 yards off the line of scrimmage? Brady doesn't have to do much to get the ball out.

When Anthony Henry comes back, I really hope our corners start playing closer to the line.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1715664 said:
I keep hearing this "Only faced two good passing teams and both times we got burned"... Does it not make any difference to anyone that the Giants game was the very first game of the year, the very first with a brand new defense, and even the players have said they had several miscommunications and busted assignments?

I partially agree here.... but the first game was the first game with new defense.... so we get 4 games to get better... then we face the Pats and get toasted even more than first game.

I get your point... .but because of the bad teams in between.... we had no real way to gauge the improvement....

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
this is a bottom line business...and the bottom line is this: we have played 2 decent offenses...and BOTH torched us! Not put up good yards or a good amount of points....WE WERE TORCHED....There is no sugarcoating this fact fellas. It looks like the end of last year. And if this continues, Wade's stay in Dallas will be short lived...especially if it means we have to choose between him and Jason Garrett

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
bbailey423;1715751 said:
this is a bottom line business...and the bottom line is this: we have played 2 decent offenses...and BOTH torched us! Not put up good yards or a good amount of points....WE WERE TORCHED....There is no sugarcoating this fact fellas. It looks like the end of last year. And if this continues, Wade's stay in Dallas will be short lived...especially if it means we have to choose between him and Jason Garrett

Dont go posting stuff that makes sense... please:bow:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I think the front seven are playing fantastic and the scheme looks great. But until we can play without Nate Jones giving up 8 yard cushions, it won't make much of a difference when we play good QBs who are very accurate on the underneath routes.

CoCo

Reaction score
thekavorka;1715736 said:
Can someone explain to me the point of blitzing if our corners are like 10 yards off the line of scrimmage? Brady doesn't have to do much to get the ball out.

When Anthony Henry comes back, I really hope our corners start playing closer to the line.

If you recall CBS showed how Reeves was pressing his man on the play where Ellis forced the fumble that Hatcher returned. Brady looked that way, but couldn't release it because of the coverage at that instant.

But an instant later, the guy was free. If Ellis is a step or two slower to get to Brady we'd have been exposed.

Timing is everything.

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt;1715801 said:
I think the front seven are playing fantastic and the scheme looks great. But until we can play without Nate Jones giving up 8 yard cushions, it won't make much of a different when we play good QBs who are very accurate on the underneath routes.

Why single out Nate? That's how we play all our corners. (For the most part)

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
bbailey423;1715751 said:

So we're going to blame one of the better defensive minds in NFL history? I'm sorry man, but if our defense blows again this year, it's the players. You can't keep blaming the coaches. Sooner or later the players we have here have to be held accountable for our defense not playing well.

Perhaps we just didn't draft as well as we thought under Parcells.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;1715804 said:
Why single out Nate? That's how we play all our corners. (For the most part)
For the most part, yes, but for the most part Henry and Newman are smart enough and physically gifted enough to jump those routes while giving a bit of a cushion.

I still don't like Henry or Newman giving it up, but Jones in particular killed us in the last game so he's fresh on the mind.

khiladi

Reaction score
CoCo;1715803 said:
If you recall CBS showed how Reeves was pressing his man on the play where Ellis forced the fumble that Hatcher returned. Brady looked that way, but couldn't release it because of the coverage at that instant.

But an instant later, the guy was free. If Ellis is a step or two slower to get to Brady we'd have been exposed.

Timing is everything.

I said the same thing for the pass by Brady to Stallworth. Bowen beat his man fully, but then was clearly pushed in the back. That push allowed Brady just enough time to release the ball to Dante Stallworth. If that push didn't happen, Brady would have been pummeled.

And until I get proof that the push was not illegal, I still am operating on the assumption it was illegal, and it happened in front of the refs face, so there was no excuse.

This is why I believe Wade indirectly questioned the ref' ing. There were plenty of 'close' hits on Brady allowing him to make certain throws, but the refs 'seemed to miss' what prevented these hits from taking place.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
juckie;1715412 said:
Not many fake stunts or disguises.

Huh? We've already had more creative blitzes and stunts this season than in the entire time we ran the 3-4 under Parcells.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
khiladi;1715824 said:
And until I get proof that the push was not illegal, I still am operating on the assumption it was illegal, and it happened in front of the refs face, so there was no excuse.

According to Jerry Markbreit (former NFL official, head trainier of officials and associate supervisor of officials), "When an initial block is from the side or the front of a player, a (blocking in the back) foul will never be called, even if the blocker winds up in an illegal position."

In other words, if you're blocking from the front, and in the course of the play you end up with the defender's back to you, it's not an illegal block.

JerryFan

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1715664 said:
I keep hearing this "Only faced two good passing teams and both times we got burned"... Does it not make any difference to anyone that the Giants game was the very first game of the year, the very first with a brand new defense, and even the players have said they had several miscommunications and busted assignments?

Which, by the way, was to be expected.

Now this last game, no excuses. They were just better. But geez, you don't play a totally new defense perfectly seamlessly right out of the box.

How dare you use logic Chocolate Lab. Shame on you. I seriously can't believe you would even stoop so low as to do something like that.

khiladi

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1715856 said:
According to Jerry Markbreit (former NFL official, head trainier of officials and associate supervisor of officials), "When an initial block is from the side or the front of a player, a (blocking in the back) foul will never be called, even if the blocker winds up in an illegal position."

In other words, if you're blocking from the front, and in the course of the play you end up with the defender's back to you, it's not an illegal block.

So pretty much, if a player blows right by the OL, but the OL happen to tick-tack, I mean block, the DL's arm, the OL can conveniently push him in the back to prevent a sack. No wonder QBs have it so damn easy nowadays...

Thanks for the info...

superpunk

Reaction score
khiladi;1715889 said:
So pretty much, if a player blows right by the OL, but the OL happen to tick-tack, I mean block, the DL's arm, the OL can conveniently push him in the back to prevent a sack. No wonder QBs have it so damn easy nowadays...

Thanks for the info...
That's exactly what I was thinking.

It's no wonder referees have such a difficult job. Really, all of us *know* what holding is when we see it. We know what a block in the back is. But the NFL has gotten so 1984 in their rules, that you see something like Brady's tuck (which we all *know* was a fumble) but because of some bizarre technicality it isn't. You see Ware getting held, but because he "fought through the hold" it isn't a hold.

I mean, the second I saw Flozell get beat and take Warren to the ground, I knew the play was over on Sunday. That sort of blatant stuff should be getting called all day. Instead, we have obscure half-penalties that aren't even committed playside that continue to negate huge plays that they had nothing to do with.

It's to the point where as fans we can't celebrate when a big play goes down without looking pensively to the bottom of the screen waiting for that yellow laundry signal. NBC compounds this heart-attack by making their signals for Touchdown and Flag the exact same graphic.

It's really getting bad. They need to get back to having the officials being as small a part of the game as possible. If that means we go back to the days of Ty Law raping Marvin Harrison and Michael Irvin physically abusing DBs - so be it. I'm sick of my viewing experience including "wait for the flag" time.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;1715912 said:
It's to the point where as fans we can't celebrate when a big play goes down without looking pensively to the bottom of the screen waiting for that yellow laundry signal. NBC compounds this heart-attack by making their signals for Touchdown and Flag the exact same graphic.

It's really getting bad. They need to get back to having the officials being as small a part of the game as possible. If that means we go back to the days of Ty Law raping Marvin Harrison and Michael Irvin physically abusing DBs - so be it. I'm sick of my viewing experience including "wait for the flag" time.
It's twice as much fun to celebrate twice, though. Once for the play and another when enough time lapses that you realize there's no flag. Everyone jumps up. Waits for it. Then starts cheering.

Double the fun! [/sarcasm]