What do you do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Route 66

Reaction score
Senior Field Engineer with one of the larger cellular companies. I work on all the electronics at the base of the towers. A very good website to check out is RootMetrics. They are a company that do some serious drive testing and you can zoom in on the coverage map down to neighborhood level to see the call quality as well as the speeds in a particular area. http://webcoveragemap.rootmetrics.com/en-US

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys Zone Member, Mod and Admin
Sexy Backwoods Model

My actual work place I do a few different tasks. When I say state, I mean we are contracted to work for the state
in some areas.

Help Desk for part of the States DHHR Program (So if any DHHR worker enters info into a specific site, I get them set up with usernames/Passwords and help
them get their info processed...at one time went around the state teaching the process).

Supervisor for our State DOH mileage entry for Accident report forms. So any time a Police, Cop, Trooper reports to a scene of an auto accident and fills out a accident report form, we take that info
and go into another program to put in codes that show it where in the state it happened. County, Town, state road, us road, county road, interstate and we also assign it a mile marker as well.
I supervisor and help the data workers that do that work.

Basically a secretary of sorts as well as I answer the phones for the company and help direct people that come into the company...although I prefer the term sexatary as I am so sexy.

At one time, and in a limited role on a few occasions now, I was one of the IT people. Setting up, fixing and maintaining the computers and so on. Thankfully we now have a company we work with that does all of that for us and we get all of our computers from them now. So if someone has a problem now I just have them call these other guys and they can work on it...which is nice IMO.

Although my work place does those tasks and some minimal data entry or other work for the state...My work place is mainly a place that helps people with disabilities. We help some work here, we help get them work in other work areas and so on. I am lucky enough to get to interact with some of these great people daily and it truly is the best part of my job by far. I cannot remember the last time a day at work has went by without someone making me smile or me making them smile. We have some that can do tasks in a production area and we help recycle card board. We have a section that works with Toyota and helps sort some of their discarded plastics for recycling, we have a section where we sell shop towels/rags to businesses. We also have another newer area where we sale some things on ebay. We have some areas where some people are not able to work in the production area so they are helped in other ways. And we have some that go out and work in places like McDonalds or other places doing various jobs.We also have some workers who do shift work staying with those with disabilities that live in their own places. They help them with shopping and various other tasks that most of us take for granted.

That daily interaction really is great. I can be feeling bad due to a cold or something, I can be in a bad mood for whatever reason but if one of the workers comes up and smiles and initiates some kind of interaction it makes you smile. You really do build up special relationships even with people who might not be able to talk or they can talk but not in a normal way of speaking.

If things are going smoothly with the system I have to monitor and it is not end of the month report time...I normally just sit and wait for emails or phone calls.

So I get bored and sleepy quite a bit. Which means I am on this site blabbing a good deal or just reading. But there are also many times where I need to get up and move around. Which means I tend to go back to our Day Hab area were we have some people with disabilities that prevent them from doing much in the production area. So they have other tasks to keep them active. I have found myself spending a good deal more time in that area than in the past.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Senior Field Engineer with one of the larger cellular companies. I work on all the electronics at the base of the towers. A very good website to check out is RootMetrics. They are a company that do some serious drive testing and you can zoom in on the coverage map down to neighborhood level to see the call quality as well as the speeds in a particular area. http://webcoveragemap.rootmetrics.com/en-US
I've used that site many times :D

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Work for the family real estate agency my grandpa started in the 60's that he has since passed down to my father, based out of Toluca Lake, California. Had some rough times during the housing crash, but my Pops is gifted and kept it afloat and we're thriving again :)

Great hours, great boss :) Was also mechanized infantry (1/11 ACR, 2003-2006) and then Northrop Grumman (2006-2010) before moving back down here to help out my dad.

@Reality, what's my position in the heist crew? Get away house? :D

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Work for the family real estate agency my grandpa started in the 60's that he has since passed down to my father, based out of Toluca Lake, California. Had some rough times during the housing crash, but my Pops is gifted and kept it afloat and we're thriving again :)

Great hours, great boss :) Was also mechanized infantry (1/11 ACR, 2003-2006) and then Northrop Grumman (2006-2010) before moving back down here to help out my dad.

The Distractor :D

/kidding

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You provide a place for the planning of the heist and a place to lay low while we wait on the loot to be loaded and our plane to be ready.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I push pixels...or at least I used to.

My background is in visual design but somehow that turned into being a user experience designer at a consultancy here in NY - meaning it's my job to help make the digital things people use and/or to help make the digital things people use work better. I've worked with some pretty high profile clients and some clients that could barely rub two pennies together, so things can be interesting.

These days I run design teams so I don't do much "at-my-desk" design anymore.

I am, however, considering a career change. Think I need a career that'll get me outdoors more often, tired of office life.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Heist crew? Going to retire the end of this year and after the Mrs tires of me being at home, I'll be a Walmart Greeter if they'll have me.

If you need someone to do your inventory management count me in but I only know the SAP inventory system.

:thumbup:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Plastic Engineer. Part designer for most of my career. Designed a lot of cool things and some, well, not so cool things. Great example of a not so cool thing, I just recently designed a 'new & improved' variation for the Tampax Pearl. Doing so required countless hours, behind 1-way glass, observing focus groups of women ranging in age from early teens to ladies about to enter their menopause years. During this time, I lost a total of 12lbs. To the surprise of no one, the weight loss was not triggered by healthy eating and hours in the gym. Amazing how much weight a guy can lose when he has no appetite. SMH
Hey, a fellow materials engineer! I'm a ceramics engineer by education and worked fuel cell development for years in industry, but now I do policy and other analysis for a non-profit think tank, mostly supporting Air Force decision makers on improving acquisition and logistics policies and processes.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I burn things and blow stuff up.

For the last several years I've been running IT for medium sized company.

Prior to this, I built high availability Internet Infrastructure for online trading platforms in the financial district. (servers, networks, storage, virtualization, etc)

Prior to that, I managed all Unix, Linux, data storage, and local networks for a company.

Prior to that, I spent a year migrating a not-for-profit from expensive Solaris on Sparc server farm to Linux on Intel platform cutting their annual IT infrastructure budget in half. (non-profits really appreciate that hah)

Prior to that, I lived in Texas and ran all systems and infrastructure for the largest Class B wholesaler in Texas at the time.

So most of my career I've been an IT Infrastructure guy. Only the last several years did I finally submit giving up the really fun stuff and become boring executive management. Money is better, but OMG is it boring. No more getting your hands dirty and building / creating / architect / overcoming technical and business issues.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I burn things and blow stuff up.

For the last several years I've been running IT for medium sized company.

Prior to this, I built high availability Internet Infrastructure for online trading platforms in the financial district. (servers, networks, storage, virtualization, etc)

Prior to that, I managed all Unix, Linux, data storage, and local networks for a company.

Prior to that, I spent a year migrating a not-for-profit from expensive Solaris on Sparc server farm to Linux on Intel platform cutting their annual IT infrastructure budget in half. (non-profits really appreciate that hah)

Prior to that, I lived in Texas and ran all systems and infrastructure for the largest Class B wholesaler in Texas at the time.

So most of my career I've been an IT Infrastructure guy. Only the last several years did I finally submit giving up the really fun stuff and become boring executive management. Money is better, but OMG is it boring. No more getting your hands dirty and building / creating / architect / overcoming technical and business issues.

I supported Solaris systems for 10+ years :) My first workstation was a Sparc 1+.

Status
Not open for further replies.