What do you do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I supported Solaris systems for 10+ years :) My first workstation was a Sparc 1+.

....what do you support now? I worked minimally with Solaris. Mostly migrating away from it to Linux as Linux has been my primary skill. That said, I've worked with others like Tru64 on DEC Alpha systems.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I feel quite small and unimportant, compared to all of y'all's highfalutin' positions in society...
Here I am with my tiny rebelliousness against the greater nothing everywhere.

You guys actually do things that affect things.
Not that I'm going to change anytime soon though...

I'll just remain here, admiring all of you badbooty muthas.

I wish all of you the bestest of luckest.
that didn't make sense...

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
....what do you support now? I worked minimally with Solaris. Mostly migrating away from it to Linux as Linux has been my primary skill. That said, I've worked with others like Tru64 on DEC Alpha systems.

I am Principal Systems Architect and currently helping the company I work for develop a new DevOps infrastructure. I have over 20 year years experience supporting *NIX (Solaris, SLES, CentOS, RHAS, RHEL) environments.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's keep this thread on-topic please. There are plenty of other chit-chat and funny threads in this forum where you can post those kinds of things!

Remember, you don't have to share what you do for a living, but by doing so, you might find others who do similar things or have an interest in what you do!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am Principal Systems Architect and currently helping the company I work for develop a new DevOps infrastructure. I have over 20 year years experience supporting *NIX (Solaris, SLES, CentOS, RHAS, RHEL) environments.
I was a big unix fan long before Linux was an idea and definitely long before it was stable enough for production environments. I was also using DEC and later AT&T unix before the internet went public, not always with permission *winks* :) I worked with AIX and Solaris servers, and eventually used BSD unix to power most of the servers in my company that I owned back then. I also learned C back then because most applications had to be compiled before you could run them and since every unix flavor was different, you had to debug code to be able to successfully compile them on whatever unix you were running.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I was a big unix fan long before Linux was an idea and definitely long before it was stable enough for production environments. I was also using DEC and later AT&T unix before the internet went public, not always with permission *winks* :) I worked with AIX and Solaris servers, and eventually used BSD unix to power most of the servers in my company that I owned back then. I also learned C back then because most applications had to be compiled before you could run them and since every unix flavor was different, you had to debug code to be able to successfully compile them on whatever unix you were running.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about AIX. Our primary financial system at the class B wholesaler was AIX, (running custom Cobol platform) though they ran it on a Bull system rather than IBM. I wonder if Bull is still around.

Their system was awful when I got there. You literally ran everything from a command prompt. I ended up writing a full green screen gui menu system out of bash so people could operate without the command line hah.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about AIX. Our primary financial system at the class B wholesaler was AIX, (running custom Cobol platform) though they ran it on a Bull system rather than IBM. I wonder if Bull is still around.

Their system was awful when I got there. You literally ran everything from a command prompt. I ended up writing a full green screen gui menu system out of bash so people could operate without the command line hah.
Command line rules!! I work on RedHat, CentOS and Ubuntu servers every day and 99.9% of my work is done through command line or cmdline, but I hate people calling it CLI! :D

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I live on the command line. I write all my documentation using vi and then cut and paste to a word editor for formatting.

*my username, viman96, is for vi editor I started using in 1996 :)
That's awesome :D I use vi all the time myself on linux still because back in the unix days, it was the only editor you could count on to be on every unix server.

Preoccupied

Reaction score
Started in IT support 1st to 3rd line - Win AD desktop network support h/w & s/w

Now - I work in mining/quarry/minerals business as asst mngr to quarry manager.
Logistics
Procurement
Schedule planning
Sales
RDBMS creation
Purchasing
The role allows me to utilise my IT / Sales - people skills / Admins skills. Which makes it a dream job as my key attributes are all utilised daily to make the quarry operate effectively .

the_h0wey

Reaction score
I posted one of these threads long ago, but it has been a while and we have a lot of new members around here now, so I thought it would be good to ask this question again.

What do you do for a living?
I sell cars at Mercedes-Benz of Plano. We see a lot of professional athletes and coaches. A certain former Cowboys quarterback with 3 super bowl rings just bought a car from us. I won't say who though ;)

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Software engineer. Just started a new job last week. Went from a small startup where I got to work from home to a large company where I have to travel to the office every day. Still getting used to it. Feels weird having actual customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.