What do you expect for 2019?

CCBoy

Reaction score
What a deep TE Draft class means for TEs in free agency - Reid Hanson, Fansided
Could a deep tight end draft class cause the value of free agents to drop? If so, that could open the door for the Cowboys to find one at a reasonable cost.

Tyler Eifert is a player Jason Garrett has coveted dating back to the 2013 NFL Draft. But when Eifert went off the board at Pick 21, the dream of snagging the next great Dallas tight end appeared lost. But the 28-year-old is hitting the market this year, and after another injury-shortened season, he’s likely to come at a very reasonable price (probably half of what he earned last season which was $5.5M).

The former Pro Bowler has major upside and very limited cost making for a perfect gamble. Additionally, Dallas likes what they have in Dalton Schultz and Blake Jarwin, and wouldn’t be losing any sleep should injury befall Tyler once more. Signing him early would also allow them to gamble a little more on Day 3 of the draft as they wait for a nice prospect with tremendous value to slip through the cracks and fall into their laps.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...oll-the-dice-in-the-second-round-of-the-draft

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
My expectations aren't anything overly demanding nor lofty. I'll be entering the upcoming season with an open mind, hoping for success. Beyond that, a successful draft will, no doubt, be essential. I can easily picture anywhere from an 8-8 season to perhaps 10-6 again. Kellen Moore will be the X factor.

Veteran free agency will again see the Cowboys using it merely to secure backup depth without the bigtime signings that would include highly expensive contracts. It's been like that for some time now. Stephen has again made his intentions with respect to this subject abundantly clear. I expect there to be more of the same 2nd and 3rd tier signings, as per their "druthers." ;)

Last edited:

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Thinking about the n9kupcoming season, it's really hard for me to get a gauge on what might happen. I can see things going really well, and the team loading up for a significant run at a championship, or I can see a crash and burn scenario where they crash and burn.

Either way, what I don't see is a middle of the road, 8-8 season coming.

Do we start with the good news or the bad news first? Let's start with the bad news and end on a high note.

We're looking at another year under Jason Garrett's coaching, with a totally inexperienced offensive coordinator in Kellen Moore being handed the reigns. That inexperience could be a recipe for disaster. There are an awful lot of moving parts in coordinating an entire offense, and this guy has but one year out of the game in coaching. If someone has an example of another team doing that, let me know because I've never seen it before, certainly not in the modern era. What if both Moore and Garrett buckle under the obvious pressure? Or can't figure out how to make things better? What if Frederick can't return to form and the offensive line continues to struggle?

Then there are the various contract situations. Demarcus Lawrence is obviously at the top of that list as he is currently out of contract. And he either needs to be tagged or signed long term. If it's long term? No problem, he'll obviously be happy and available. If not? Does he accept another tag or does he grumble, miss the offseason, or even possibly hold out for some games?

Then there are Prescott and Elliott. While both are under contract, it's rumored that both are looking for new deals. If they don't get them, might either or both also holdout? If so, that could be even more bad news. And missing either and certainly both, could totally derail the season.

Now for the good news. What if Kellen Moore is as good as many people say? What if we do have the league's next wunderkind? What if he's able to realize what this offense's strengths are and play to them? What if this offensive line, that was so screwed up under the Paul Alexander debacle, returns to form? What if Frederick is healthy and back to being himself? What if an offseason in the system and practicing together helps to make Dak, Cooper, and Gallup a better passing game? What if Jarwin and Schultz continue to develop and improve? There's certainly a lot of potential upside there.

If you can pair a potent, multi-faceted offense with the defense we had for much of last year - and they've worked out their tells - you might truly have a team to contend with. And if you were able to add an Earl Thomas to the mix to improve what I feel is that defense's biggest weakness, and maybe an upgrade at defensive tackle? Yeah, it wouldn't take much to convince me that this team would be a contender.

And that's my point, I think this upcoming season can go one of two ways, either really good, or really bad. But I don't see an in-between.

What say you?
For starters I can see us winning the division again, I think this young team is gonna do great (no injuries Of course).

JJ has made it very clear that he wants a high powered offense and I believe we have the players to give him that. The Def is good, we should get a DL and safety in the draft.
Something I havent said since 97, but I got faith that JJ will put the right pieces 2gether this year.

NFC champions or bust!!