What do you think of moving Tyron Smith to Left Guard?

J12B

Reaction score
Moving Tyron Smith to Left Guard allows him to play at a position that should be easier on his body and hopefully allows him to remain healthy during the season. I’m sure #77 could transition to Guard with how talented and powerful he is on the outside.

The position change would create competition at the LT spot. Assuming either 2021 4th rounder Josh Ball and 2022 1st rounder Tyler Smith would be battling it out. Surely Tyler Smith would be the best bet at winning the starting spot. That is a gamble and I’m sure there would be growing pains that come with it. But it would allow him to continue playing the position he is most comfortable with and once settled we’d have our LT for the next 5 seasons at the very least.

What do you think?

jrumann59

Reaction score
If Tyler Smith grows a ton his Rookie year and is deemed the new LT, and LG somehow is also take care of, I could see a Tyron Smith to RT to finish his career. So to re-cap Tyler Smith would need to have a great Rookie campaign as LG and then comes in next year and blows the doors off the coaching staff as LT. Then either through the draft or FA(LOL) next year they find another LG. Also the starting RT from this year would have to look horrible next year and they slide Tyron over.

J12B

Reaction score
What drug did you take prior to making this thread?

Really? Man everyone complains every year when he misses his 4 games a season. Thought the position change could help prevent injury and would be forward thinking with moving Tyler to LT day 1.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I suspect this will likely be last season, Cowboys can save 13 mill off the cap next season. Tyler Smith will play guard with the intent of moving him to the outside as he gains experience at this level, much like Dallas did with Flozell Adams. I don't see moving Tyron inside as some way of preventing injury since it is no less physical at guard.

Loso86

Reaction score
Moving Tyron Smith to Left Guard allows him to play at a position that should be easier on his body and hopefully allows him to remain healthy during the season. I’m sure #77 could transition to Guard with how talented and powerful he is on the outside.

The position change would create competition at the LT spot. Assuming either 2021 4th rounder Josh Ball and 2022 1st rounder Tyler Smith would be battling it out. Surely Tyler Smith would be the best bet at winning the starting spot. That is a gamble and I’m sure there would be growing pains that come with it. But it would allow him to continue playing the position he is most comfortable with and once settled we’d have our LT for the next 5 seasons at the very least.

What do you think?
Dumb idea

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
39223acf730610e9cbec195107d0ec09.gif

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score

What do you think?
:popcorn:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

What do you think?

:facepalm:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know about this but what about moving Lamb to TE? He might get more targets?

Considering the penalty issues Tyler Smith had in college, putting him at LT could be worse for a start to his career. He needs to start at LG and maybe he moves over later.

The other thing to consider is that Tyron Smith is one of Booger's favorite players ever and he would not demote him from the premier position on the OL.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I do not believe Tyler is near being ready to take Tyron's place so soon in his career.

I also doubt that Tyron would appreciate being switched to LG at this late date in his.

Hopefully, Tyron might be capable of lasting long enough for Tyler to get his feet wet.