What do you think of moving Tyron Smith to Left Guard?

conner01

Reaction score
Moving Tyron Smith to Left Guard allows him to play at a position that should be easier on his body and hopefully allows him to remain healthy during the season. I’m sure #77 could transition to Guard with how talented and powerful he is on the outside.

The position change would create competition at the LT spot. Assuming either 2021 4th rounder Josh Ball and 2022 1st rounder Tyler Smith would be battling it out. Surely Tyler Smith would be the best bet at winning the starting spot. That is a gamble and I’m sure there would be growing pains that come with it. But it would allow him to continue playing the position he is most comfortable with and once settled we’d have our LT for the next 5 seasons at the very least.

What do you think?
I’ve seen worse ideas on this board
But not many
You want a left side consisting of a rookie and a vet who’s switch position at the end of his career who no matter where you play him he’s likely to miss time

cowboyec

Reaction score
no.
tyron still plays at an all-pro level.
i have 0 interest in moving #77.
let the tulsa mauler handle the og spot.

Creeper

Reaction score
Tyron Smith does not have a Guard's body type. I wonder if he has the flex in his legs to get low enough to take on low level hard charging DTs. Some tackles can move inside, but I do not think Tyron Smith is one of them.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Moving Tyron Smith to Left Guard allows him to play at a position that should be easier on his body and hopefully allows him to remain healthy during the season. I’m sure #77 could transition to Guard with how talented and powerful he is on the outside.

The position change would create competition at the LT spot. Assuming either 2021 4th rounder Josh Ball and 2022 1st rounder Tyler Smith would be battling it out. Surely Tyler Smith would be the best bet at winning the starting spot. That is a gamble and I’m sure there would be growing pains that come with it. But it would allow him to continue playing the position he is most comfortable with and once settled we’d have our LT for the next 5 seasons at the very least.

What do you think?
I like the inside the box thinking, but I disagree. Even if he is injury prone, why move one of the best LT's in the league to a lesser position? Now if he cannot handle speed any longer, maybe then you move him, but that's not the case.

J12B

Reaction score
What drug did you take prior to making this thread?
Dumb idea
I’m assuming the poster hadn’t watched much football
Lol wow!!! I read post like this and want to thank my lucky stars Jerry is in charge!
Lol this post cant be serious. This shows me you watch ZERO tyler smith tape if you think he can play LT in the league in the next 3 years

It's crazy how many of you just wrote off the idea even before giving him reps at the position.

Now our best player, and arguably the best defensive player in the league, is giving him positive reviews.

You all proved just how narrow minded this fan base truly is.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

What do you think?

He's not a guard.

He's a tackle, a left tackle.

Why on Earth would you put him at guard?

The deal on Tyler Smith is that he can be a pro bowl level NFL guard, who also has the position flex to play tackle in a pinch.

But I think they drafted Waletzko for the swing guy. He has like a 9.95 RAS and is a super specimen just like Tyron Smith.

He just has to put it together.

I mean, physically, the most athletic guy we have for the LT spot is Waletzko. I'm pulling for him just because he's so damn big and strong.

To put it in perspective, Tyler smith has an 8.7 RAS at LT while Waletzko is a 9.95.

Plug Smith in at LG, and his RAS rises to a 9.6.. put Waletzko and Smith together and you've got a pretty stout left side. If Waletzko pans out.

That said, the double-Smith duo is going to be a strong left side as well.

Here's one of Waletzko's games where I thought he played OK. #78.

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score

It's crazy how many of you just wrote off the idea even before giving him reps at the position.

Now our best player, and arguably the best defensive player in the league, is giving him positive reviews.

right, so when is Tyron Smith moving to guard?

just cause they are giving reps to Tyler at LT in OTAs doesn’t mean Tyron is destined for LG this year or ever. Tyler is getting snaps at LT in case he needs to play there this year and the coaches are getting a read on him.
They aren’t in pads either.

You got **** for the thought of Tyron to guard. And the moronic notion that playing guard would extend his career. Not the Tyler at LT notion. Hell, that’s why the cowboys took him in round 1. The potential to play LT one day.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Tyron Smith is the Cowboys' starting left tackle, & will remain that way until the team believes Tyler Smith is ready to take over. For now, Tyler Smith is a projected starter at left guard who is just learning the position.

Some of our fanbase obviously doesn't keep up w/the current news/acquisitions on our franchise.

J12B

Reaction score

just cause they are giving reps to Tyler at LT in OTAs doesn’t mean Tyron is destined for LG this year or ever. Tyler is getting snaps at LT in case he needs to play there this year and the coaches are getting a read on him.

You got **** for the thought of Tyron to guard. And the moronic notion that playing guard would extend his career. Not the Tyler at LT notion. Hell, that’s why the cowboys took him in round 1. The potential to play LT one day.

Kicking Tyron inside would most definitely help his injury issues. Playing Guard is mainly body strength and less about agility and speed which is where most Tackles get injured.

And having Tyler start his career off at LT will help him in the long run. Clearly Dallas needs to find Tyron's replacement and they may already have.

If Tyron gets injured, and the last 5 years have proven that he will, they are going to have to reshuffle the Left side of the oline entirely.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

No, it wasn't. They do not intend to play him at LT.

Some of you apparently don't understand the thought here. As a guard, he can be elite. As a tackle, Smith isn't really all that impressive. Or it's not like he would dominate.

But, boy, at guard, the guy has a chance to be a pro bowl guard. He's not going to wow you at tackle. And that's fine. today's league is about position flex. Because they want to take a certain amount of guys to the game, they bring so many lineman and if one gets injured they slide the other over and plug in someone. But he wouldn't be the long-term answer at tackle

As far as this year's Tyler Smith, the pick, they were filling the weak spot from last year, which happened to be McGovern.

Granted if Tyron goes down, Smith could slide over to tackle in a game. But I doubt that'd be the long-term plan, especially when they drafted a guy like Waletzko, who isn't too shabby a player himself.

John813

Reaction score
No, it wasn't. They do not intend to play him at LT.

Some of you apparently don't understand the thought here. As a guard, he can be elite. As a tackle, Smith isn't really all that impressive. Or it's not like he would dominate.

But, boy, at guard, the guy has a chance to be a pro bowl guard. He's not going to wow you at tackle. And that's fine. They were filling the weak spot from last year, which happened to be McGovern.

For now I agree they intend to play him at guard. but I do believe there was a thought he could develop into a LT possibly in the future. Not guaranteed but at least a chance with his athleticism and strength.

I think he definitely could be an elite guard and may be better suited there.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Tyron Smith is the Cowboys' starting left tackle, & will remain that way until the team believes Tyler Smith is ready to take over. For now, Tyler Smith is a projected starter at left guard who is just learning the position.

Some of our fanbase obviously doesn't keep up w/the current news/acquisitions on our franchise.

Yep .

If we got desperate enough, he could play LT. But the Cowboys generally like a really good left side guy..He's projected to play the left side, just not tackle.

He's going to be special in the running game. If we were to plug at LT in at LG, it's Tyler Smith.. Tyron Smith might not even be that great at it. It's not his game. He's a beast in space. Tyler Smith is better when not in space. His weaknesses are usually from being in too much space, which is why people see him as a guard.

Loso86

Reaction score

It's not narrow minded its smart, and since I'm assuming you know football the goal is not to make more holes. YES he will get reps there through camp because he IS THE FUTURE there potentially...however we DO NOT HAVE A STARTING LG. he was drafted to be that UNTIL 77 is no longer playing. When healthy 77 IS the starring LT and 73 should be starting LG. IF 77 gets hurt either 73 or the other tackle drafted will slide in there. Again your showing how much football you know. Word of advice MOST ALL players look good early on let's see as camp progresses and we get closer to the games that COUNT smdh

exciter

Reaction score

Lol! Still Thanking all the pretty little shiny stars in heaven Jerry!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kicking Tyron inside would most definitely help his injury issues. Playing Guard is mainly body strength and less about agility and speed which is where most Tackles get injured.

And having Tyler start his career off at LT will help him in the long run. Clearly Dallas needs to find Tyron's replacement and they may already have.

If Tyron gets injured, and the last 5 years have proven that he will, they are going to have to reshuffle the Left side of the oline entirely.
No. Dumb idea when the thread was created.

Dumb idea now.

Hahahhahahahha

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
If you could of just feather the pedal a little bit.
Nah his tape was so bad in some spots like high school ball bad. He needs time to work his technique on an island. Inside will eliminate a lot of his struggles i feel. He can just lean on his natural strength and athleticism.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Yeh they are gonna tell you hes not that great at tackle. He stoned parsons prolly by holding him lol. Go watch his tape his technique is so bad at tackle. He will be a way better guard due not having to be on an island while being able to learn and perfect his technique.

Adreme

Reaction score

Like I said in the thread about it, EVERY rookie for every team is getting talked up right now. Find me the team not hyping their rookies. It is empty training camp nonsense.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Listen! He may not play more than 12 games a season. But his 12 games he's a top 3 LT as of last season. I won't talk about his overall career because it speaks for itself. But I will talk about last season.

Furthermore, he's not a guard and never should be.

I also heard someone on this board the other day say his value of play to contract is worse than Zeke's? Lol!

Look at what a top 3 LT salary is vs performance and tell me how Tyron Smith is still not a value?