What do you think of moving Tyron Smith to Left Guard?

visionary

Reaction score
Moving Tyron Smith to Left Guard allows him to play at a position that should be easier on his body and hopefully allows him to remain healthy during the season. I’m sure #77 could transition to Guard with how talented and powerful he is on the outside.

The position change would create competition at the LT spot. Assuming either 2021 4th rounder Josh Ball and 2022 1st rounder Tyler Smith would be battling it out. Surely Tyler Smith would be the best bet at winning the starting spot. That is a gamble and I’m sure there would be growing pains that come with it. But it would allow him to continue playing the position he is most comfortable with and once settled we’d have our LT for the next 5 seasons at the very least.

What do you think?

I think the person who is stupid enough to suggest we should move one of the best players at one of the premium positions to a non premium position for absolutely no reason at all should be banned for life

J_Allen

Reaction score
No, I think his 8 games should played at left tackle. We have a new left guard who's going to learn right next to him. I think that's what we did with Flozell Adams and Larry Allen when he played left tackle that year.

When Tyron Smith gets hurt I'm guessing we put Steele in his place and shift a new guy into Right tackle.

pupulehaole

Reaction score
Moving Tyron Smith to Left Guard allows him to play at a position that should be easier on his body and hopefully allows him to remain healthy during the season. I’m sure #77 could transition to Guard with how talented and powerful he is on the outside.

The position change would create competition at the LT spot. Assuming either 2021 4th rounder Josh Ball and 2022 1st rounder Tyler Smith would be battling it out. Surely Tyler Smith would be the best bet at winning the starting spot. That is a gamble and I’m sure there would be growing pains that come with it. But it would allow him to continue playing the position he is most comfortable with and once settled we’d have our LT for the next 5 seasons at the very least.

What do you think?
Whos your dealer and whats his number

FVSTONE

Reaction score
What drug did you take prior to making this thread?
The same stuff Stephen is all hopped up on when he starts talking about the FA market! Like we really think he's going to sign someone..............

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

What do you think?

And I disagree with the premise that it would be easier on his body.

Better fighting 270lb DEs in open space than 310 DTs in a phone both in the middle of a couple of other such fights.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I do not believe Tyler is near being ready to take Tyron's place so soon in his career.

I also doubt that Tyron would appreciate being switched to LG at this late date in his.

Hopefully, Tyron might be capable of lasting long enough for Tyler to get his feet wet.

I think Tyron could play G fine, but his athleticism would be relatively wasted there.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

What do you think?
Contrary to what some say, it is not a bad idea.
It would depend on if tyron wanted to play LG or not.
Also if the other two look like they could handle LT
It is something they could piddle with in TC .

However football mentality people will say no and that your idea is stupid. And jerry would not like the idea so.......

quickccc

Reaction score

What do you think?

Because it's an interior position, it's gonna require even more knee bend than what Tyron does at OT in the open space, that's why talk of Lael Collins,
with his hip issues, moving inside to LG was premature and would not have worked out.

But Tyron as injury prone as he is, he still helps us best at LT, than a move to LG.
I'd feel much more comfortable with Tyron as starting LT than anyone else on the roster.

Whether LT or LG, i don't think it matters or makes him less injury prone. He's gonna get hurt, be hurt, no matter what position he is to play. It's just a fact now.

As its not as demanding, it should have been more easier to fill the LG role than the LT role, but ironically that LG has been a revolving door over the years,
every since the one year wonder by Ron Leary.. Even with the two high round drafted Conners

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
The belief many have on this board that Tyler Smith is our LT of the future seems quite ambitious.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
With all the bodies and collision inside, I would see Tyron more susceptible to injury at guard at this point. both OGs and DTs often go to the ground, have to be able to pull and run through trash, get to the second level and block moving targets. I would be much more afraid of a fellow OL or defender rolling up into his legs than at the tackle position. Also, much more head to head contact inside, which exacerbates his neck issues. Keep him out at LT as long as you can where he's blocking mostly guys trying to run around him, because very few try to run through him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
NNNNNNNNNNNNNN

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NO

LT is harder to replace and its not time..you allow the young guys to get time before throwing them in..

John813

Reaction score
To expand on my long first comment:

You are taking a guy with HOF athletics for a Left tackle and the measurables ideal to stop edge rushers and throwing him inside and losing that valuable skill set he brings on the edge. Then creating another hole at LT and the solutions are Josh Ball, Dakota Man or Tyler Raw Smith.

I can't tell if people have gotten spoiled from the 2010's of not worrying about the QB being killed blindside wise due to Tyron being there or if they live in the world of Madden where position changes are a click away. Hell, we were lucky with the false start Hotel Adams era before hand, ignoring the Free blip.

Add in the idea of the move extending his playing career due to playing inside, where instead of going up against 240-280 edge rushers and countering them with freak athletic ability, positioning and arm length he'll he getting head on collisions with the likes of Cox, Allen, Payne, Davis, Williams or Lawrence 60+ times a game. Sure that'll be great for his neck, back and other body parts at his age and stage in his career. Add in the changes in stance, blocking technique, leverage(6'7" guy is going to have to get quite lower than he needed to be at LT).

Tyron may be strong as a bull, and have the physical ability to exceed anywhere, but it's a farfetched idea to take your teams best Tackle by a huge talent and athletic perspective and then neutralize his gifts by playing him inside. Especially when the talent behind him is a giant question mark to fill an even more important position on the line.

Tyler Smith, with all the rawness he brings is a worlds better fit at guard while he adjusts to the NFL.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The belief many have on this board that Tyler Smith is our LT of the future seems quite ambitious.
I think it's possible he is, but it's far from assured. What is assured is he would not be able to walk in as a rookie and protect Dak's blind side even close to as well as Tyron can. The most often noted concern with him is he is raw and has a lot to learn and needs a lot of work on technique, and the LT position handles the elite pass rushers. Odds are Tyler Smith would struggle if thrust into the LT role immediately.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What do you think?
I think that you create absurd threads intentionally. Nobody could actually believe that this is a good idea.

LT is the premium position on the OL. That's where Tyron is the most valuable.

Tyler Smith's college penalty issues would have been minimal if he played OG.
- Players with elite power and quickness can get by at OG without great technique.
- Nobody succeeds at LT in the NFL without well developed technique. Tyron played RT as a rookie.

Tyron playing against huge DTs instead of DEs would make injury issues worst, not better.

LTs move inside if they've lost their LT athleticism.
- Tyron has not shown any signs of declining athleticism.

Tyron is 31 years old. Tuinei was 32 in the 1st of the 3 nineties Super Bowls and he started in all 3.

Jason Peters was still playing last season and he is now 40.

pansophy

Reaction score
Really? Man everyone complains every year when he misses his 4 games a season. Thought the position change could help prevent injury and would be forward thinking with moving Tyler to LT day 1.
I think an argument can be made that his body would take more punishment moving inside where there are bigger bodies and more collisions. When he is on the field, he has to be the best option at tackle. I think they are hoping Tyler moves outside when Smith retires but I don't think they are in a hurry for that day to come.