What does an acceptable rebuild transition period look like for you?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
2-5 and 1 of the wins was against a team with a losing record.
That record proves he’s won in the playoffs before. If his record ends there, he’ll be defined as a QB who couldn’t win a championship.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
3 years. But they have to show improvement each year, say like go from 5-12 to 9-8 to 12-7, from out of the playoffs to wild card to division winner and at least 1 home game, from 0 to 1 to 2 playoff wins.

That puts them in the hunt, and a real chance to make the SB. After that the rebuild is over...

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
i can get with that. so what is your ideal situation moving forward?
Assuming Dak wont commit to a team friendly deal I think it comes down to three scenarios that I can truly get behind.... You either

A) truly go all in on 2024, extend Dak to lower the cap, and actually be players in free agency this year knowing that in 2025 or 2026 you're going to be forced into a rebuild or semi rebuild situation similar to the Rams super bowl run
B) Bite the bullet for 2024 let Dak play out his current deal (Or give Lance a chance) and truly build for 2025 when you likely have a new HC, QB and a better cap situation
C) Look at another trade situation, probably with Lamb or Parsons. Not saying I want to trade either, but I do see the benefit of not having to pay one of these guys $30+M and getting multiple premium draft picks coming back your way... This allows you to better manage Daks cap hit without getting rid of him and at least opens up some room for a couple mid tier FAs.

My first choice is probably B, but I'm truly open to the other ideas. My big fear is we extend Dak, and not make any major moves along to actually improve the rest of the roster outside of the draft and some depth type signings. That keeps us interesting but not true contenders meanwhile some key starters like Dlaw & Martin continue to age and decline. This also just pushes our cap issues back and delays the inevitable rebuild as this teams talent level slowly bleeds over the next 1-3 years.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm just curious for those who want to blow it up, or at the very least move on from Dak. How long would you be comfortable absolutely sucking after?
This isn't a loaded question either, or a disguised thread to fearmonger what losing dak would look like. I'm just coming around, and wondering how others feel.

I'd hate just being terrible with no hope for 3 years +.
If we aren't the undefeated SB champions this season, I'm outta here!! Dak Sucks, CeeDee is a crybaby, Micah has too many podcasts, MM is fat and don't get me started on Jerry!!
:muttley:

Proof

Reaction score
Why the assumption this franchise can't win and absolutely suck without Dak?
there is no assumption. it's a hypothetical about how long would be an acceptable trade off if that's how it played out. but also "rebuild" typically requires a down period

Proof

Reaction score
I don't accept the premise,, you don't have to get rid of everybody all at once and you don't have to fire your starting player BEFORE actively searching for an upgrade,,, in fact a well run franchise understands which positions need upgrading and actively searches for their replacement every year. That's what people don't like about the Dak situation, they don't "hate" Dak,,, they hate that this dumbarse front office has never once looked for a replacement, leaving the fans with no hope. Andy Reid's Chiefs were not terrible before they landed Mahomes, eh?
It's not to accept or not accept. It's not a premise, it's a hypothetical. It's not "hey if this happens we're going to suck" it's "hey if we suck because of this, what would you be comfortable with?" And we haven't actively searched for an upgrade and he's in the final year of his contract with a no tag clause. So it's kinda moot.

Proof

Reaction score
Assuming Dak wont commit to a team friendly deal I think it comes down to three scenarios that I can truly get behind.... You either

A) truly go all in on 2024, extend Dak to lower the cap, and actually be players in free agency this year knowing that in 2025 or 2026 you're going to be forced into a rebuild or semi rebuild situation similar to the Rams super bowl run
B) Bite the bullet for 2024 let Dak play out his current deal (Or give Lance a chance) and truly build for 2025 when you likely have a new HC, QB and a better cap situation
C) Look at another trade situation, probably with Lamb or Parsons. Not saying I want to trade either, but I do see the benefit of not having to pay one of these guys $30+M and getting multiple premium draft picks coming back your way... This allows you to better manage Daks cap hit without getting rid of him and at least opens up some room for a couple mid tier FAs.

My first choice is probably B, but I'm truly open to the other ideas. My big fear is we extend Dak, and not make any major moves along to actually improve the rest of the roster outside of the draft and some depth type signings. That keeps us interesting but not true contenders meanwhile some key starters like Dlaw & Martin continue to age and decline. This also just pushes our cap issues back and delays the inevitable rebuild as this teams talent level slowly bleeds over the next 1-3 years.
I'm in pretty much the exact same boat. I think that if we hadn't gotten absolutely embarassed by the 7 seed packers this year and actually showed some heart and toughness in the playoffs, I might feel a little different. As it stands though, any optimism, or excuses, or gaps to close have been stamped out and I see us trending down and with a ton of questions to answer and ailments to address. bummer

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I'm just curious for those who want to blow it up, or at the very least move on from Dak. How long would you be comfortable absolutely sucking after?
This isn't a loaded question either, or a disguised thread to fearmonger what losing dak would look like. I'm just coming around, and wondering how others feel.

The first quarter of the first preseason game is the honest answer.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

More than 1.5 seasons would be it for me. 1 year of rebuilding fine, but by the end of season 2 you want to start seeing growth. Rather ride these 12 win seasons and hope we get lucky in the playoffs.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
The problem with blowing it up and letting Dak walk is that this teams' track record when it comes to acquiring good QB talent is terrible and is far worse than Dak's play has been comparatively. If they hadn't lucked into Romo and Dak we'd have had Johnny Football and Paxton Lynch as our high draft pick options. While Dak's play doesn't always inspire confidence, with this front office I'd roll the dice on Dak with a stacked team around him vs. hoping we can find a good QB in free agency or the draft. It just sucks that it feels like we'll be stuck in this purgatory either way, because we know the front office will never truly go "all in". This past year signing Cooks and Gillmore was their version of all in, and it's not nearly enough. And with having to pay Dak, Lamb, and Parsons, we're pretty much riding on Dak not going deer in headlights for once and stringing together some consistent good play against good teams. I'd feel alot better about blowing it up and sucking for a few years if I felt like they'd actually go all in for one or two seasons, whether it works or not.
“This team’s track record of acquiring good QB talent is quite dire if you discount the good QBs they have acquired.”

khiladi

Reaction score
We had some defensive and special teams scores, but our offense put up a lot of points. Dak led the league with 36 TD passes. I get some of you don’t like Dak but you can’t just credit our defense and kicker for our points. Its silly to make the excuse our points were due to playing garbage defenses all season. If we had a QB you were happy with you wouldn’t be saying that.
Yes, he put up points against horrible pass defenses. 8 of his TDs came against the Commanders after they traded away their 2 best players. If the defense is to blame for Dak, then the much worse defenses are to blame for allowing Dak to torch them.

Dak had no problems throwing against the Packers when down by 30 and they put in their second string scrubs, playing basically prevent..

TexasBacon

Reaction score
“This team’s track record of acquiring good QB talent is quite dire if you discount the good QBs they have acquired.”
You mean the QB's they completely lucked into that no one, including them knew were good? That they could have easily missed on? Anytime this franchise has targeted a high draft pick at QB they've been awful, NFL busts. Quincy Carter, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, etc. The only reason Romo even chose to stay in Dallas initially when he was an undrafted FA was how bad the QB room was other than Bledsoe.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That record proves he’s won in the playoffs before. If his record ends there, he’ll be defined as a QB who couldn’t win a championship.
Or the playoffs. 2-5??? What would people say about Roger or Troy if they did that?

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score

If Dak signs a 3 plus year extension, aren't we in the same boat, No hope for tha time frame. If we moved on from Dak today, we would better off in 2-3 years than keeping him for those same 2-3 years.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Or the playoffs. 2-5??? What would people say about Roger or Troy if they did that?
Roger and Troy had GREAT teams. Troy’s playoff record was 1-3 after our last Super Bowl win when the team was declining.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes, he put up points against horrible pass defenses.
He put up 255 yards, with 2 TDs and we scored 30 against the Jets number two pass defense. You just got proven wrong. You wouldn’t be saying anything critical if we had a QB you liked.

khiladi

Reaction score
He put up 255 yards, with 2 TDs and we scored 30 against the Jets number two pass defense. You just got proven wrong. You wouldn’t be saying anything critical if we had a QB you liked. 4 FGs.
LOL.. game 2 when they started Zach Wilson for the first time and the TOP was 42 minutes to 17. they had 4 TOs and Dak couldn’t find the end zone the whole second half, even though it was 18-10 at half.

You Dak fanboys will say anything..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
LOL.. game 2 when they started Zach Wilson for the first time.. they had 4 TOs and Dak couldn’t find the end zone the whole second half, even though it was 18-10 at half.
Started Zach Wilson for the first time? He played almost the entire game the week before in the opener and was making his 23rd start. Lol Spin all the hate you want but Dak had a very good game against their number two pass defense. You just keep looking for ways to tear him down. You don’t like him, we get it!

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
You mean the QB's they completely lucked into that no one, including them knew were good? That they could have easily missed on? Anytime this franchise has targeted a high draft pick at QB they've been awful, NFL busts. Quincy Carter, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, etc. The only reason Romo even chose to stay in Dallas initially when he was an undrafted FA was how bad the QB room was other than Bledsoe.
It is utterly insane that you are hammering the Cowboys for players they didn’t pick.